Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Do you have 2 words for the word/fruit "pineapple" in your language?
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:23
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 20, 2006

I've been wondering about this for a while (since I became a pineapple lover a few months ago).

When I buy it at the supermarket I usually have two choices (specially in big surfaces): "Ananás" and "Abacaxi".

If I was to translate an English text with the word "pineapple", a French one with the word "ananas" or a Spanish one with the word "piña", I would immediately translate it into "ananás". But then, we also have "abacaxi". Also, my English-Portuguese dictionary o
... See more
I've been wondering about this for a while (since I became a pineapple lover a few months ago).

When I buy it at the supermarket I usually have two choices (specially in big surfaces): "Ananás" and "Abacaxi".

If I was to translate an English text with the word "pineapple", a French one with the word "ananas" or a Spanish one with the word "piña", I would immediately translate it into "ananás". But then, we also have "abacaxi". Also, my English-Portuguese dictionary only has the word "ananás" as the translation of pineapple (I've just checked).

Actually, here in Portugal, it's easier to find "abacaxi" rather than "ananás" (and it's cheaper as well) and when I say I bought "ananás" people tend to correct me and say it is "abacaxi".

When asked about the difference people say that the leaves of the "ananás" are smaller than those of the "abacaxi" and the taste is better, but I actually bought a "ananás" a while ago from Azores and I had to put sugar on it in order to eat it, although I was told it was just a bad "ananás".

Another curious thing is the fact that whenever I buy "abacaxi", the tag usually says "Costa Rica's pineapple" or somewhere else "pineapple", which I would translate "ananás" from Costa Rica (or somewhere else).

So I wonder, do you also have 2 words for the word/fruit "pineapple" in your language?

I am very curious to know about it in several languages (even in English, French and Spanish, although I've never heard about it).

Thank you in advance.
Ivana
Collapse

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:23
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Oct 20, 2006

In Spanish:

piña / ananá

Sophia Hundt (X)
Sophia Hundt (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Russian to English
+ ...
no Oct 20, 2006

Only one word in Russian (that I can think of, anyway, although it's been a while): ananas (from Spanish?). We didn't used to have whole lot of it around in USSR when I was growing up. Not sure about now.

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:23
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

No Oct 20, 2006

No, in Bulgaria we have just one, "ананас", and we reed it as "ananás".
I was in Portugal just a few months ago, and I still wonder why on earth you need two words for the same thing! You don't have separate words for red and yellow apples for example, do you?)

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Abacaxi pérola etc Oct 20, 2006

Oi Ivana

Aqui no Brasil, apesar de existir o nome ananás, todo mundo chama de abacaxi. Fiquei imaginando se a diferença de nome em PT não é usada para marcar apenas variedades da mesma fruta. Aqui nós temos Abacaxi pérola (mais doce, alongado e de polpa esbranquiçada) e o Abacaxi Havaí (mais baixinho, às vezes tb super doce, mais fibroso e de polpa bem amarela.)

... See more
Oi Ivana

Aqui no Brasil, apesar de existir o nome ananás, todo mundo chama de abacaxi. Fiquei imaginando se a diferença de nome em PT não é usada para marcar apenas variedades da mesma fruta. Aqui nós temos Abacaxi pérola (mais doce, alongado e de polpa esbranquiçada) e o Abacaxi Havaí (mais baixinho, às vezes tb super doce, mais fibroso e de polpa bem amarela.)

Veja fotos em

http://www.paodeacucar.com.br/categoria.asp?categoria=catHortifruti&subCategoria=catFrutaNacional

Aliás, segundo esse documento aqui, os dois nomes têm os nomes originados pelas línguas indígenas cá do Brasil.

Na Wikipedia eles dizem:

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananás

"O termo abacaxi (em português) é, com forte probabilidade, oriundo do tupi ibacati, ‘bodum ou fedor de fruto’, ‘fruto fedorento’ (ibá, ‘fruto’, cati, ‘recender ou cheirar fortemente’), documentado já no início do séc. XIX.

O termo ananás (em português e espanhol) é do guarani naná, e documentado em português na primeira metade do séc. XVI e em espanhol na segunda (1578), em que é empréstimo do português do Brasil ou da sua língua geral."

Pessoalmente não sou muito chegada no abacaxi porque sempre me enche a boca de aftas, mas achei interessante a sua pergunta.

Boa sorte e bons abacaxis!
ME
Collapse

Inga Jakobi
Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Chinese to German
+ ...
One word in German Oct 20, 2006

Hi,
in German we only have one word: Ananas. There is probably a Latin word as well (like for all the plants), but nobody would use it in common language.
Regards,
Inga

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Only ananas in Dutch and German Oct 20, 2006

HI Ivana, interesting question, although I am not a lover of ananas. But maybe its also because of the quality you find here in the supermarkets.

But I have found something interesting
http://ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=12537
Agricultural Research Service offers a photo gallery there you find
Ananas comosus called ‘Abacaxi’ among many other differen
... See more
HI Ivana, interesting question, although I am not a lover of ananas. But maybe its also because of the quality you find here in the supermarkets.

But I have found something interesting
http://ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=12537
Agricultural Research Service offers a photo gallery there you find
Ananas comosus called ‘Abacaxi’ among many other different types
http://ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/53200345/PHOTOS/HANA-21.gif

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/pineapple.html
Abacaxi' (also called 'White Abacaxi of Pernambuco', 'Pernambuco', 'Eleuthera', and 'English') is well known in Brazil, the Bahamas and Florida. (..)It is very fragrant. The flesh is white or very pale yellowish, of rich, sweet flavor, succulent and juicy with only a narrow vestige of a core. This is rated by many as the most delicious pineapple. It is too tender for commercial handling…

Bons abacaxis! (I like that one.)
Steffi
Collapse

Miia Mattila
Miia Mattila
Estonia
English to Finnish
In Finnish, only one word Oct 20, 2006

at least I can't think of another one.

However, there are "pineapple-cherries" sold in Finland, which are "cape gooseberries" (or "Peruvian Cherries") in English.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
One word in Italian Oct 20, 2006

Hi Ivana

One word only in Italian too, and it is....... Ananas

Bye bye

Angio

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
One word in Arabic too! Oct 20, 2006

Ananas for plural and Ananasa for Singular!

Interesting! I didn't even know it's named the same in other languages!

Cool

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)
Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2005)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Hi Ivana, Oct 20, 2006

In the Latvian language there is just one word for this fruit - "ananāss".

Have a nice weekend!
Kr.

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 18:23
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Abacaxi & Ananás Oct 20, 2006

farre wrote:

Aqui no Brasil, apesar de existir o nome ananás, todo mundo chama de abacaxi.

Interesting thread Ivana!

In Brazil I'd say "abacaxi" is the popular term, but "ananás" is not ruled out — my Grandma used to say it all the time. Actually, it seems that abacaxi and ananás are like cousins, the latter would be considered "wilder" and a bit smaller, also referring to the plant as a whole, and the former being the popular fruit itself.

As Farre said, both words come from the indigenous language Tupi (ananás = naná / abacaxi = katí) and at supermarkets we can see several varieties of abacaxi, according to the different "hybrids" or from where they were originally imported. There's also abacaxi-de-tingir, which is used to make yellow paint.

A funny fact is that we often use abacaxi as a synonym for "problem, hairy situation, difficult event," as in "On Fridays, John Doe leaves the office early and I always have to work late to solve the pineapples he left behind."

Other general uses of abacaxi are related to the Military area ("hand grenade"), physical appearance ("awkward,: "clumsy"), and Immigration (people from Portugal that immigrated to Rio used to be affectionately be called "abacaxi," just don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know! )

[Edited at 2006-10-20 19:49]

ciovo
ciovo  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
In Croatia one word Oct 20, 2006

It's called ANANAS here in Croatia.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Confusion in Dutch Oct 20, 2006

The funny thing is, in Dutch there is a word 'pijnappel', which looks and almost sounds like 'pineapple'.
However, ' pijnappel' does not mean 'pineAPPLE', but 'pineCONE'.
The fruit you're talking about is called 'ananas' in Dutch, no other word for it. Good fruit though, love the taste of it.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:53
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Anannas in Hindi too Oct 21, 2006

Pineapple is called anannas in Hindi too.

It has a rather interesting name in Malayalam, another Indian language, kashuda chhakka, which when translated into English means "donkey's jackfruit".

Apparently this interesting name is derived the external spiny appearance of this fruit to jackfruit. Also in taste, the pineapple is definitely inferior to jackfruit, which according to me, deserves to be called the "king of fruits", for it can beat even the best variety of mang
... See more
Pineapple is called anannas in Hindi too.

It has a rather interesting name in Malayalam, another Indian language, kashuda chhakka, which when translated into English means "donkey's jackfruit".

Apparently this interesting name is derived the external spiny appearance of this fruit to jackfruit. Also in taste, the pineapple is definitely inferior to jackfruit, which according to me, deserves to be called the "king of fruits", for it can beat even the best variety of mango in sweetness and flavour.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you have 2 words for the word/fruit "pineapple" in your language?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »