Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Do you have 2 words for the word/fruit "pineapple" in your language?
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos
hownow
hownow
English
Two words in Chinese (Mandarin) Dec 21, 2006

fengli and boluo; the latter may have come from another language.

Qcumber (X)
Qcumber (X)
Local time: 00:14
English to French
+ ...
wrong Jan 31, 2007

Marcus Malabad wrote:
in Tagalog (Philippines), comes from Spanish of course. There must have been a word for it in pre-Spanish times since it grows in the Philippine archipelago (tropical climate and all) but the Spanish word must've superseded the "local" word(s).

Filipinos had no word for pineapple simply because pineapples, like many other plants, were introduced in the Philippines by Spaniards.

ama_li
ama_li
English to Sinhala (Sinhalese)
No Mar 13, 2008

No
In Sinhala we only have one word for Pineapple. It's Annasi. Pineapple was introduced to Sri Lanka at the time when it was a Portugese colony. According to my knowledge the word Annasi has come from Portugese

Taxonomist
Taxonomist
Local time: 23:14
English
Pineaple vs. Abacaxi Mar 17, 2008

I was looking for something not related with these two "versions" of Ananas comosus when I saw all this posts about 2 different words for Pineaple.

Well, as a botanist let me add something to this old "discussion" even if I'm outdated

Pineaple it's generally the name of a plant species belonging to the botanical genus Ananas... See more
I was looking for something not related with these two "versions" of Ananas comosus when I saw all this posts about 2 different words for Pineaple.

Well, as a botanist let me add something to this old "discussion" even if I'm outdated

Pineaple it's generally the name of a plant species belonging to the botanical genus Ananas

It was named like that because it remebered of a pine cone ... therefore I'm not surprised to know that the neerlander (dutch) word for pinecone is "pijnappel".

In Portugal, as well as in many other places, we can find two different kinds of "pineaple":
- Ananás, a typical somewhat cylindrical fruit, very acid to taste and
- Abacaxi, very similar to the first one, but much more sweet and with a more pale "meat"

Usually "Ananás" is identified with portugal and "Abacaxi" with Brasil.

In fact Ananás is a cultivar (a cultivated variety) of the botanical species Anananas comosus L cv. "CAYENNE AZORES" and Abacaxi belongs to Ananas ananassoides cv. "WILD BRAZIL" as well as to other cultivars.

Hope this somewhat long explanation will be of some use ... still

Best wishes
Collapse

silver_galaxy
silver_galaxy
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
vietnamese has three! Apr 7, 2008

In Vietnamese, pineapple is called khóm, dứa, or thơm. From my own consumer experience, the fruits are significantly smaller in size comparing to those grown in Costa Rica or Hawaii...all tasty though.

VeraHembitska
VeraHembitska
Local time: 01:14
English
+ ...
In Belorussian Apr 9, 2008

HI!! In Belorussian it is "ананас" only. i reckon it depends on the fact if the object is spread.

Rosina Peixoto
Rosina Peixoto  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
In Uruguay Jun 2, 2008

we call it "ananá", not "piña". It´s delicious both in main dishes or desserts.
Cheers!

Rosina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you have 2 words for the word/fruit "pineapple" in your language?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »