Your opinion on which/that
Thread poster: Sonia Dorais
CathyFS
CathyFS  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:05
German to English
+ ...
THAT for plural/US English Oct 7, 2006

A grammer book I have says to use WHICH for singular and THAT for plural, therefore:

The system may have blocked e-mails from senders that were previously not blocked.

would be preferabe to

The system may have blocked e-mails from senders, which were previously not blocked.

Also, I believe that US English favours the use of THAT wherever possible?
(I also read this in a stlye guide on US English).
Personally, I prefer "which", as it
... See more
A grammer book I have says to use WHICH for singular and THAT for plural, therefore:

The system may have blocked e-mails from senders that were previously not blocked.

would be preferabe to

The system may have blocked e-mails from senders, which were previously not blocked.

Also, I believe that US English favours the use of THAT wherever possible?
(I also read this in a stlye guide on US English).
Personally, I prefer "which", as it can get confusing if the sentence already contains the word "that" in a different context.

Cathy
Collapse

CathyFS
CathyFS  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:05
German to English
+ ...
grammAr Oct 7, 2006

Sorry, the typo was an embarrassing one ...

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
invented examples:-( Oct 7, 2006

transparx wrote:

While I like and appreciate the explanation at the end of your post -especially your discussion of the ambiguity in one of the sentences provided by the asker, I wanted to rectify something.

You write:

Lia Fail wrote:

Your sentences don't illustrate the difference between the 2 types of clause well, as only the 2nd one is correct, strictly speaking.

So, other examples.

a. Mice are typically found in fields that (which) lie near houses.

b. Mice are typically found in fields near houses, which is not entirely unexpected.

When you use THAT you are linking a piece of information that is essential.

When you use WHICH with a comma before it, you are adding an aside, i.e. an additional item of information.

In the 1st senstence you are saying that mice ONLY lve in this kind of field, so this item of info is essential to meaning.

In the 2nd senetce, the WHICH clause adds a non-essential aside. If you remove the WHICH clause, you would not detract from the essential meaning of the main clause.

I’m afraid this explanation only adds more confusion.
The examples you give have nothing to do with the that/which distinction the asker is asking about.

a.Mice are typically found in fields that (which) lie near houses.

Sentence (a) contains a restrictive adjective (or relative) clause, i.e., "that/which lie near houses," which restricts, or defines, the noun "fields." But this sentence does not imply that “mice ONLY live in this kind of field.” This, I believe, can be easily shown by the following:
b.Mice are typically found in fields that (which) lie near houses, and so are squirrels.
The adjective clause here simply restricts “fields,” that is, it maps the set of all possible fields in the world onto a smaller one, the set of fields that lie near houses.

As for the second sentence, it is not a good example at all. Of course, it is perfectly correct, but this “which” is a different one altogether --a pro-clause rather than a pronoun. In other words, here "which” refers to the whole preceding clause rather than to a noun within it. A rough, informal interpretation of sentence (b) would be (d).
(d) Mice are typically found in fields near houses, and this fact (i.e., [the fact] that mice are typically found in fields near houses) is not entirely unexpected.

In other words, sentence (b) does not exemplify nonrestrictive (or nonessential, as they are sometimes called) adjective clauses.

Kim’s examples are much better in this respect, and they clearly illustrate the distinction under discussion.

Restrictive: (e) The lemmings that performed well in the first race were all fuzzy animals.

Nonrestrictive: (f) The lemmings, which performed well in the first race, were all fuzzy animals.

As Kim points out, sentence (e) is restrictive. What does that mean? It means that we are not talking about the entire set of lemmings existing in the world, but about a smaller set --namely, only those that performed well in the first race- and only about those are we saying that they "were all fuzzy animals." We might as well go on and say completely different things about (the) other lemmings without contradicting ourselves.
As far as I know (and as has been pointed out by others), “which” can be used instead of “that" in restrictive relative clauses. Thus, in this case, one could choose “which” instead of “that.”

Sentence (f), on the other hand, is nonrestrictive. This means that [The lemmings, which performed well in the first race] and [the lemmings] the speaker has in mind are, in fact, one and the same set. In other words, we start with a set -[the lemmings]- and we keep talking about the same set, without restricting it in any way. In this case, "that" cannot be used.

Of course, we could also say something like (g), which would be structurally the same as sentence (b).
(g) The lemmings were all fuzzy animals, which didn’t surprise anyone.
But, again, this is a completely different construction.

I take your point, and I think the problem lies with the fact that I invented the examples, which is something no corpus linguist should do:-) That is, corpus linguists assess real examples of language rather than invented examples.

I wanted to reproduce a pattern of the originals, and didn't want an intervening WHICH clause.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Seconding Steven's Statement Oct 7, 2006

Steven Sidore wrote:

The usage provided in Kim's description is not just correct, but mandatory. The two are not interchangeable in a well-written prose.

I can't comment on British (or Canadian) usage, I've not studied them.

Cheers,

Steven

Steven,
I know that my friend, Henry, is okay with "the seat-of-the-pants approach," but I'm glad you point out that in the US publishing industry, there are standards.

I almost pulled out the Chicago Manual of Style to quote chapter and verse on that/which ... but I'm really busy. Besides, the rules, options, and defiances thereof have all been explained above. (Thanks, especially, to Kim.)

I suppose that in determining how much energy to put into the prose that one is producing always requires a sort of calculus, but if a book is going to appear for sale, I argue that following the rules of the publishing house (in my case, CMS) makes sense. Doing so saves us, the editors, from having to worry about when to use "which/that" and a million other details; and it presents the reader with consistent usage, which should ease the reading process.

Do editors get "a special day" the way translators do?
Patricia

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 21:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
As a Brit ... Oct 7, 2006

... and all the more so after reading Professor Kim's explanations (clear and authoritative, as always!), I happily take refuge in the don't care approach of my native language.

Actually, don't care is not quite right. I do care - but not about whether I'm respecting a US 'rule' or a UK 'preference' - but, rather, whether my sent
... See more
... and all the more so after reading Professor Kim's explanations (clear and authoritative, as always!), I happily take refuge in the don't care approach of my native language.

Actually, don't care is not quite right. I do care - but not about whether I'm respecting a US 'rule' or a UK 'preference' - but, rather, whether my sentence reads naturally, whether that might be confusing if there are other thats in the sentence - or if I should really be using who all along.

My experience is that regardless of whether I use which or that (with or without commas), the grammar checker in Word always tells me I've got it wrong! And I always click Ignore .

And, according to a test I just carried out, that grammar checker applies the US rules (as per Kim's explanation) regardless of whether the document language is set to UK or US English. But that's another story...

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

Spanish to English
+ ...
Excellent question Oct 7, 2006

Excellent question

Like Patricia Rosas, normally I’d resort to CMS on stuff like this. But on stuff that is specifically this, I’ve always found Bryan Garner to be exceptionally helpful. I’m a Brit myself, often writing or editing or translating for US clients, but I think that Mr. Garner is right on this point as on so many others.

From: Bryan A. Garner, ‘A Dictionary of Modern American Usage’ (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998).

“You’
... See more
Excellent question

Like Patricia Rosas, normally I’d resort to CMS on stuff like this. But on stuff that is specifically this, I’ve always found Bryan Garner to be exceptionally helpful. I’m a Brit myself, often writing or editing or translating for US clients, but I think that Mr. Garner is right on this point as on so many others.

From: Bryan A. Garner, ‘A Dictionary of Modern American Usage’ (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998).

“You’ll encounter two schools of thought on this point [the difference between ‘that’ and ‘which’]. First are those who don’t care about any distinction between these words, who think that ‘which’ is more formal than ‘that’, and who point to many historical examples of copious ‘whiches’. They say that modern usage is a muddle. Second are those who insist that both words have usual functions that ought to be separated, and who observe the distinction rigorously in their own writing. They view departures from this distinction as ‘mistakes’.
Before reading any further, you ought to know something more about these two groups: those in the first probably don’t write very well; those in second just might.”

In our time, the distinction that Garner makes in his second paragraph is irrefutable. If you read a great prose stylist (say, Philip Roth in the US or Ian McEwan in the UK or Peter Carey in Australia), you’ll notice that ‘that’ and ‘which’ are not interchangeable, and that one is not more ‘formal’ than the other. One is unquestionably right. The other is arguably right, but it’s also a red flag signifying that you’re dealing with someone who doesn’t really understand what an English sentence is supposed to do.

All best wishes,
JB

[Edited at 2006-10-07 20:08]
Collapse

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
Spanish to English
The Knucles Never Forget Oct 7, 2006

Kim Metzger wrote:

Restrictive clauses, which are essential to the meaning of the sentence, are not set off by a comma. Nonrestrictive clauses, which are not essential to the meaning of the sentence--they merely add further information--are set off by a comma. For example:

Restrictive: The lemmings that performed well in the first race were all fuzzy animals.

Nonrestrictive: The lemmings, which performed well in the first race, were all fuzzy animals.

That's the way the Jesuit monks beat it into me, which was a very unpleasant experience.

Saludos!

Jason

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
not clear for me Oct 9, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

Generally speaking:

1. You can use WHICH OR THAT interchangeably provided there's no comma

2. However, I remeber reading a study to do with translation that came to the conclusions that we overuse WHICH when THAT would be marginally preferable (by Mona Baker, if I remeber rightly). This overuse of WHICH is confirmed in the link on scientific writing provided below.

I would never use 'which' for a defining clause and consider it incorrect. Like the Economist says, "which informs, that describes. Each time I come across the issue I ask myself the question. Is sth being defined here or is extra information being provided?

Perhaps I am wrong about this, so please do correct me!
Could you please tell me what resource says "which" and "that" are interchangeable for defining clauses.

Note a little off topic: in oral English, I find the use of "which", where "that" would do perfectly well, quite snobby. Anyone else think the same?

Lia Fail wrote:
If it's mails, then tehse are the alternative phrasings taht remove the ambiguity:

The system may have blocked e-mails (omission) that were previously not blocked.

The system may have blocked sender e-mails THAT were previously not blocked.

The system may have blocked e-mails from senders WHICH were previously not blocked.

Note that in the 3rd change this is a justified use of WHICH (no comma of course) as it removes the ambiguity that is implied by the THAT possibly referring to mails or senders.

And, finally, if it's senders who are being blocked, this is the alternative, non-ambiguous alternative:

The system may have blocked e-mails from senders WHO were previously not blocked.

Although, given your 2 alternatives, it seems as if it's mails not senders who are being blocked:-)

http://www.safarix.com/0321159810/ch05lev1sec9

To me, the use of both "which" makes no sense here, as I see "sender emails" or "emails from senders" as being one structure, from a logical perspective. I can see why you use "who" though.

[Edited at 2006-10-09 19:16]

[Edited at 2006-10-09 23:24]

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
'which' is more common in UK Oct 9, 2006

Kim Metzger wrote:

By the 20th century, the restrictive-only use of that was fixed. Which, however, does get used for restrictive clauses as well, more often in Britain than in the U.S. For instance, the British lexicographers I worked with in England would define a leaflet for a learner's dictionary as 'a piece of paper which gives information about something', rather than using '...that gives information.'
The choice of which or that in restrictive clauses is more of a stylistic choice--what you think is clearer, what sounds more mellifluous. Sometimes, however, the choice is pretty darned obvious: Nietzche's "That which does not kill me makes me stronger" would be ludicrous as "That that."

Yes, it is used quite often in British English, just to sound posh, I reckon!

Looking forward to your proz article on this issue by the way!

Meanwhile, I find this resource the most comprehensive!

http://dianahacker.com/writersref/subpages_language/thatwhich.html

[Edited at 2006-10-09 20:19]

[Edited at 2006-10-09 20:51]

Sonia Dorais
Sonia Dorais
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all so much! Oct 10, 2006

Thank you all so much for your interest in this forum and your input.

Thank you all for your references (which I have put in my favourites)...

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
reply to eva Oct 16, 2006

eva75 wrote:

I would never use 'which' for a defining clause and consider it incorrect. Like the Economist says, "which informs, that describes. Each time I come across the issue I ask myself the question. Is sth being defined here or is extra information being provided?

Perhaps I am wrong about this, so please do correct me!
Could you please tell me what resource says "which" and "that" are interchangeable for defining clauses.

Note a little off topic: in oral English, I find the use of "which", where "that" would do perfectly well, quite snobby. Anyone else think the same?

To me, the use of both "which" makes no sense here, as I see "sender emails" or "emails from senders" as being one structure, from a logical perspective. I can see why you use "who" though.

[Edited at 2006-10-09 19:16]

[Edited at 2006-10-09 23:24]

Hi Eva

In reply to your doubts:

When I said that THAT and WHICH could be used interchngeably, I wasn't referring to defining clauses, which are/should be ind¡cated by a comma. I was referring to non-defining clause, which are distinguishable by the fact that there is no comma.

e.g. the book WHICH is on the table /the book THAT is on the table.

Except that there is general agreement that although they are both 'fairly' interchageable, THAT is preferable. (see other answers and the link I provided)

The difference with "senders emails" and " emails from senders" is not to do with the meaning of these particular combinations. Both are identical in meaning but not in structure. When you say "sender emails" you have converted the "sender" to a form of adjective (to simplify things) that qualifies the main noun "emails". When you say "senders of emails", you are linking 2 nouns with a preposition, and as far as any attached clause is concerned, thae last noun counts.

So meaning is the same, structure is different. Now back to the non-defining structure, which is a phrase marked by a comma plus "which" or "who".

When you say "sender emails", the main noun "email" is qualified by a 'minor' noun, "sender" (in teh same way as an adjective works), but when adding a defining clause, we focus on the main noun, which is a 'thing', therefore we use WHICH (or THAT for a non-defining clause).

"....sender emails, which had been blocked" /"sender emails that/which had been blocked"

When we say "emails from senders", we have the use WHO (or THAT if it's a defining clause)to refer back to the "senders", as being immediately adjacent to the comma in the defining clause.

" ... emails from senders, WHO had been blocked" / " emails from senders THAT/WHO had been blocked".

So, you can use THAT/WHICH (things) or THAT/WHO (people) 'almost'* interchangeably when there's NO comma (= when it's a defining clause)

When it's a non-defining clause, you must use a comma, and you can only use WHICH (things) or WHO (people)

* When I say 'almost', thisis to take account of stylistic preferences and local differences.

[Edited at 2006-10-16 00:48]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your opinion on which/that

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »