Archaic English
Thread poster: bellamoore1225
bellamoore1225
bellamoore1225
English
Jun 2, 2006

I am a bridesmaid in charge of sending out save the date cards for a bridal shower (a lot of guests live out-of-state). The shower has a medieval theme so we are attempting to make the wording on the save the date card in somewhat easy medieval type wording.

If anyone could give some suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Is it more appropriate to say the fair maiden lady Kimberley and drop the last name. Here is what I have so far.

Hear ye! Hear ye!
L
... See more
I am a bridesmaid in charge of sending out save the date cards for a bridal shower (a lot of guests live out-of-state). The shower has a medieval theme so we are attempting to make the wording on the save the date card in somewhat easy medieval type wording.

If anyone could give some suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Is it more appropriate to say the fair maiden lady Kimberley and drop the last name. Here is what I have so far.

Hear ye! Hear ye!
Let it be known throughout the land

The fair maiden Kimberley Harwood
has found her man

We ask thy help to pass the time
And shorten thy wait
A shower is planned
So save the date.

The traditional shower of the maiden will be held on Saturday, the Twenty Sixth day of August in the year of our Lord Two Thousand and Six

Hosted By: The Bridal Party

Feasting and Merriment will be had by all

The honor of thy presence will be hereby
humbly requested in a future invitation
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:30
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Drop the surname Jun 4, 2006

I'd just say the fair maiden (or maid) Kimberley.

I don't think your should say "hereby" and "in a future invitaton".
"Hereby" would mean "by means of this letter".

It looks a pretty good effort at archaic English to me. Of course, it isn't actually medieval English, as in the works of Geoffrey Chaucer, for example, but if it were, no-one would understand it.

[Edited at 2006-06-04 10:50]

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
archaic Jun 4, 2006

I would say 'ye' instead of 'thou', as the latter is singular
also 'shall' instead of 'will'

HRiley
HRiley  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
thy/thou is ok Jun 7, 2006

I think thy/thou is OK - if you are addressing the recipient of the card then it would be OK to use the singular form. (If you are addressing more than one person in the card then obviously the plural form would be better.)

You could change has to hath, which is the old 3rd person singular form.

The line which says "Hosted by: the Bridal Party" strikes me as rather modern, though I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's the colon?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Archaic English

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »