Wrong use of the expression 'free'
Thread poster: Cybele1996
Cybele1996
Cybele1996
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 2, 2006

I have noticed the phrase 'for free' is used quite often in this website.

Please notice this is WRONG. It is incorrect usage which, unfortunately, has spread widely.

'Free' derives from the expression 'free of charge'. You wouldn't say 'FOR free of charge'. Correct usage would be, for example: 'I got this watch free' (or 'free of charge' or 'for nothing').

Roger Parks
Roger Parks  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents "for free" Jun 7, 2006

Melina Enjuto wrote:

I have noticed the phrase 'for free' is used quite often in this website.

Please notice this is WRONG. It is incorrect usage which, unfortunately, has spread widely.

'Free' derives from the expression 'free of charge'. You wouldn't say 'FOR free of charge'. Correct usage would be, for example: 'I got this watch free' (or 'free of charge' or 'for nothing').

Melina: There is no "wrong" usage from a linguistics perpective (a) unless you are a prescriptivist or (b) unless you are speaking of usage by a non-native speaker. Native speakers can pretty much say whatever they want unless their English teacher is listening. :>)

Languages are in a constant state of flux. The fact that the use of "for free" has spread widely, as you observe, is an indication that it may eventually become standard usage. Those who use the expression "for free" are not thinking about the etymology of the word "free". Although "free of charge" clearly still in use in some registers, such as in advertising, it is being replaced in by "free" in the colloquial register and may well eventually be replaced by "for free".

That is not to say that expressions like "for free" are not annoying while they're still moving from Point A to Point B (i.e., acceptance as the norm).

Roger

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:22
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Please note! Jul 2, 2006

Please also note that 'please notice' could be considered by some to be verging on the erroneuous

Cybele1996
Cybele1996
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 2, 2006

Oh thank you! I hadn't noticed that. I'm not saying I know everything and never make mistakes. But I will share what I DO know. That's what this board is about, right? Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wrong use of the expression 'free'

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »