jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:30
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 20, 2020

I'm asking your opinion about this sentence: "since 1972 no one has ventured much farther into space than Des Moines is from Chicago." (You may be aware that this is a sentence contained in one of the previous translation contests.) I found that Chinese translators are varied in their interpretation of the sentence.

Some interpret it this way: "Since 1972, man has ventured into the space only a little farther than the distance between Des Moines and Chicago."

Some int
... See more
I'm asking your opinion about this sentence: "since 1972 no one has ventured much farther into space than Des Moines is from Chicago." (You may be aware that this is a sentence contained in one of the previous translation contests.) I found that Chinese translators are varied in their interpretation of the sentence.

Some interpret it this way: "Since 1972, man has ventured into the space only a little farther than the distance between Des Moines and Chicago."

Some interpret it this way: "Since 1972, man has ventured into the space for a distance that is less than the distance between Des Moines and Chicago.

Can you let us know which is right?

[Edited at 2020-06-21 05:08 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The first one Jun 20, 2020

I have no idea how anyone would get to the second interpretation.

Philip Lees
Josephine Cassar
Dan Lucas
Fatine Echenique
Aline Amorim
Michele Fauble
Facundo Canosa

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had the same thought as yours Jun 20, 2020

Chris S wrote:

I have no idea how anyone would get to the second interpretation.

However, I found most Chinese translators would go for the 2nd interpretation from a small sample of Chinese translators with whom I interacted. I don't understand why, though. I recently had an argument in a social media group with a few Chinese translators who strongly believed in the 2nd interpretation. I was not able to convince them that their interpretation was incorrect, no matter how hard I tried - they just blatantly ignored my explanations.

[Edited at 2020-06-21 06:08 GMT]

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:30
English to Arabic
+ ...
1st, but not a full mark Jun 21, 2020

Clues here are: much & farther.

"since 1972 no one has ventured farther into space than Des Moines is from Chicago."

* didn't exceed the distance from Des Moines to Chicago

"since 1972 no one has ventured much farther into space than Des Moines is from Chicago."

** exceeded the distance from Des Moines to Chicago, but (not by much/only by little)

I once had a so-called language leader sabotage my "not too distant past" into his "ne
... See more
Clues here are: much & farther.

"since 1972 no one has ventured farther into space than Des Moines is from Chicago."

* didn't exceed the distance from Des Moines to Chicago

"since 1972 no one has ventured much farther into space than Des Moines is from Chicago."

** exceeded the distance from Des Moines to Chicago, but (not by much/only by little)

I once had a so-called language leader sabotage my "not too distant past" into his "near past." The reason was the project was big and demanding, and I secured and completed it within deadline, which caused financial envy.

He was totally oblivious to the combination of time being used in the text.

- DISTANT

-- too/very/much distant

-- distant

-- moderately distant

-- bit/little/little bit/slightly distant

- NEAR

So, he completely overlooked the whole "distant" bracket and jumped instantly into the "near" bracket, insisting that his interpretation was correct.

In conclusion, "Since 1972, man has ventured into the space only a little farther than the distance between Des Moines and Chicago" conveys the original message, but in a confirmation form which is the opposite of the source text's negation form. I wouldn't like that change of forms, given it's unnecessary.
Collapse

Facundo Canosa
mariealpilles

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
This is a very badly written sentence to begin with Jun 21, 2020

It took me three or four reads to actually make sense of it at all - and hey, I decipher mush for a living, in three different languages. I'd worry about this first.

Fatine Echenique
Josephine Cassar
Rachel Waddington

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Perfectly clear Jun 21, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:

Some interpret it this way: "Since 1972, man has ventured into the space for a distance that is less than the distance between Des Moines and Chicago.

Can you let us know which is right?

[Edited at 2020-06-21 05:08 GMT]

The meaning of the sentence is perfectly clear. There is no need to "interpret" it. And anyway, both of your suggested "interpretations" are wrong.

[Edited at 2020-06-21 07:13 GMT]

ATIL KAYHAN

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Unexpected Jun 21, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
And anyway, both of your suggested "interpretations" are wrong.

You’ll have to explain that one, Tom. What if I got hit by a number 26 bus this morning without ever knowing? Would I get much further than the pearly gates?

Eliza Hall

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@jyuan Jun 21, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:
I'm asking your opinion about this sentence: "since 1972 no one has ventured much farther into space than Des Moines is from Chicago."

If I had to choose between the two options mentioned, then I'd choose the first option, because the second option is too exclusionary. Using "man" instead of "humans" does not bother me, although I'm aware that it might bother others.

No-one is taller than Pete = Pete is the tallest
No-one is a little taller than Pete = some people are (or may be) a lot taller than Pete OR no-one is taller than Pete
No-one is a lot taller than Pete = some people are (or may be) a little taller than Pete
No-one is much taller than Pete = some people are (or may be) a little taller than Pete

In my mind, "much taller" means the same as "a lot taller". I know that the word "much" can be used in informal English to mean "actually", but this is not the normal meaning of the word. Also, while the word "most" can mean "sincerely" in some phrases, it's normal meaning is what it is.

The sentence by itself, is, of course, meaningless. Does the author measure city centre to city centre, or from the eastern edge of Des Moines to the western edge of Chicago (which is 30 km shorter), or from where the built-up area around Des Moines ends to where the built-up area of Chicago begin (which is another 30 km shorter)? When you drive from Des Moines to Chicago, at what point do you consider yourself having arrived in Chicago?

[Edited at 2020-06-21 08:40 GMT]

Björn Vrooman

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yea. Jun 21, 2020

The Misha wrote:

It took me three or four reads to actually make sense of it at all - and hey, I decipher mush for a living, in three different languages. I'd worry about this first.

And it should never be happening, the sentence should be clear at first read. Metaphor can be achieved without convoluted/clumsy wording.

Rachel Waddington

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:30
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
I agree with Tom Jun 21, 2020

If I had to re-write the sentence, I would simply go:

Since 1972, no one has ventured much further into space than the distance between Des Moines and Chicago.

By the way, I think the distance is measured from center to center, an engineer's opinion. This comparison should be a rough estimation because practically no one would know that exact distance unless you live in one of those cities (or you look it up on the web).

Angie Garbarino
Eliza Hall

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
However... Jun 21, 2020

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

If I had to re-write the sentence, I would simply go:

Since 1972, no one has ventured much further into space than the distance between Des Moines and Chicago.

By the way, I think the distance is measured from center to center, an engineer's opinion. This comparison should be a rough estimation because practically no one would know that exact distance unless you live in one of those cities (or you look it up on the web).

Aside from that... How is distance measured in space? Somebody wanted to use a very original comparison but it turned out sounding odd.

Rachel Waddington

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
OT Jun 21, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote: I know that the word "much" can be used in informal English to mean "actually", but this is not the normal meaning of the word. Also, while the word "most" can mean "sincerely" in some phrases, it's normal meaning is what it is.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, Samuel, can you give examples of these other usages please? I can’t think of any (but then it is Sunday)...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lingua Jun 21, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:
How is distance measured in space?

I believe "into space" here refers to the height above the surface of the planet. After the Apollo program stopped in 1972, the highest elevation achieved by astronauts and cosmonauts was that which was necessary to get to a space station, the highest of which was Mir (375 km) and ISS (410 km). The highest space stations from the 1970s reached 275 km.

Philippe Etienne
Eliza Hall

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
OK Jun 21, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
How is distance measured in space?

I believe "into space" here refers to the height above the surface of the planet. After the Apollo program stopped in 1972, the highest elevation achieved by astronauts and cosmonauts was that which was necessary to get to a space station, the highest of which was Mir (375 km) and ISS (410 km). The highest space stations from the 1970s reached 275 km.

So basically they compared horizontal distance to vertical distance? Didn’t work. The word height should have been used somewhere, for better clarity.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
The Vector, the Distance, the Path, and the Idea Jun 21, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:
The word height should have been used somewhere, for better clarity.
Could you please show us where is Up, Down, Left, Right, and Center in the Universe?

IF you really are so curious and overscrupulous, then why don't you contact the author/publisher of the article?)

Eliza Hall

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which is right?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »