"Protocol" a valid substitute for "Report"?
Thread poster: Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 23:15
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Dec 17, 2018

A question to natives in English:

Is "protocol" an actual native synonim for "report" in contexts such as "construction site handover protocol/report" etc. (meaning: a document, not a definition of formal procedure), or has it only recently become one in Europe due to the shameful abuses of Germanic translators (and of my fellow Poles too)?

I feel the latter is true, somewhat like in case of "production halls" instead of "production floors".

Been wor
... See more
A question to natives in English:

Is "protocol" an actual native synonim for "report" in contexts such as "construction site handover protocol/report" etc. (meaning: a document, not a definition of formal procedure), or has it only recently become one in Europe due to the shameful abuses of Germanic translators (and of my fellow Poles too)?

I feel the latter is true, somewhat like in case of "production halls" instead of "production floors".

Been working for 7 years now, and still not sure...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ekhangel Dec 18, 2018

Ekhangel wrote:
Is "protocol" an actual native synonym for "report" in contexts such as "construction site handover protocol/report" etc. (meaning: a document, not a definition of formal procedure)...

I'm a non-native Englisher, but:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol
says that "protocol" can also be used for the minutes of a meeting. I've never encountered that use before, though. I've always understood "protocol" to mean something that is agreed upon beforehand.

Christine Andersen

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Dec 18, 2018

That's interesting. I see the word being used in this context from time to time, mostly in German or Italian-translated ToR, project management documentation, etc.

Just out of curiosity: what do you call this type of document in Dutch and how do you translate it into English (or German)? Again, I mean "reports" that the two parties sign to confirm the handing over of things (with qualitative or quantitative indication of its state), whether it is industrial plants, products, premise
... See more
That's interesting. I see the word being used in this context from time to time, mostly in German or Italian-translated ToR, project management documentation, etc.

Just out of curiosity: what do you call this type of document in Dutch and how do you translate it into English (or German)? Again, I mean "reports" that the two parties sign to confirm the handing over of things (with qualitative or quantitative indication of its state), whether it is industrial plants, products, premises, or such.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You are right Dec 18, 2018

First the protocol is drawn up, then you act, and (progress) reports are written along the way, ending with a final report and analysis.

Of course, context is everything, and my statement above is very categorical.
But it is probably a good idea where possible to maintain the difference.

You can always in a monolingual English dictionary - there are plenty online and free.

The Oxford Advanced Learners' Dictionary (British) makes the distinction
... See more
First the protocol is drawn up, then you act, and (progress) reports are written along the way, ending with a final report and analysis.

Of course, context is everything, and my statement above is very categorical.
But it is probably a good idea where possible to maintain the difference.

You can always in a monolingual English dictionary - there are plenty online and free.

The Oxford Advanced Learners' Dictionary (British) makes the distinction
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/protocol?q=protocol
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/report_1?q=report

Merriam Webster (US) seems to allow the use of protocol as 'minutes of a meeting' in some cases, but it is not entirely a synonym for report.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/protocol?utm_campaign=sd&utm_medium=serp&utm_source=jsonld

-- but compare the entry for report:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/report?utm_campaign=sd&utm_medium=serp&utm_source=jsonld
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Protocol" a valid substitute for "Report"?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »