Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
The importance of the Oxford comma for truck drivers!
Thread poster: Kay Denney
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Punctuation ... What do you think ... Mar 17, 2017

My late father used to claim that he'd seen the following notice in a barber's shop window:

What do you think I'll shave you for nothing and buy you a drink

When the customer claimed his free shave and drink, the barber explained that the notice said:

What! Do you think I'll shave you for nothing and buy you a drink?

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
Romanian to English
+ ...
Reginam occidere Mar 17, 2017

Jenny Forbes wrote:

My late father used to claim that he'd seen the following notice in a barber's shop window:

What do you think I'll shave you for nothing and buy you a drink

When the customer claimed his free shave and drink, the barber explained that the notice said:

What! Do you think I'll shave you for nothing and buy you a drink?

Hehe
Here's a famous case in Hungarian history where punctuation was a matter of life and death for Queen Gertrude: http://www.math.ku.edu/~hetyei/courses/old/520/reginam.html Although this is probably just an anecdotal curiosity, it does show that punctuation matters:
Reginam occidere nolite timere bonum est si omnes consentiunt ego non contradico.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
yes and no Mar 18, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

Not bothering with Oxford commas means these truck drivers will get paid for more overtime:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/16/oxford-comma-helps-drivers-win-dispute-about-overtime-pay

yay for the Oxford comma!

I've never heard of the "Oxford comma". Is that different from greengrocer's apostrophe?

images

[Edited at 2017-03-17 16:35 GMT]

Is that different from greengrocer's apostrophe? Yes and no ...

it's a happily sloppy/ignorant greengrocer's apostrophe that decided to climb down from the ascender heights to be the baseline in order to transmute itself into the pedantic/posh Oxford comma! ... who said that promotion is always about going up?

BTW, these truck drivers know how to defend their profession ... anyone noticed that bit? Anything to learn from that?

A final digression - I remember another story from the time of Imperial Russia, probably apocryphal. Some official made some serious mistakes and the case was presented to the Empress. She wrote her decision in a short sealed letter, given to this miscreant to carry it to the Minister of Interior (apparently, it was a quite usual practical joke at the time - make you carry the letter with your own death sentence to the executioner). So this character simply opened the letter and found out that it was saying "not to Siberia" (IOW "execute him"). [This letter was her answer to a letter asking whether this official should be executed or sent to Siberia] He simply added a comma and turned it into "no, to Siberia" IOW "do not execute him, send him to Siberia").

[Edited at 2017-03-18 00:21 GMT]

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
But the essence of ... Mar 18, 2017

Annamaria Amik wrote:

Oh come on, Chris was funny

... any joke is its internal logic. Perhaps it's supposed to be irony.

I'd say he's overstretched himself.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Are you people insane? The Oxford comma is what separates us from the animals.” Jan 27, 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/27/brexit-50p-coin-boycott-philip-pullman-oxford-comma

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
US and UK usage Jan 27, 2020

1. The truck drivers were/are in the US.
2. Philip Pullman would say that. I don't agree.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:39
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
. Jan 28, 2020

Rachel Fell wrote:

1. The truck drivers were/are in the US.
2. Philip Pullman would say that. I don't agree.

Well of course! We don't have truck drivers in the UK, only lorry drivers!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The importance of the Oxford comma for truck drivers!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »