Youngjin Kim
Youngjin Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 06:49
English to Korean
Jan 9, 2016

Hello,

Below is the sentence in question:

He sees a tremendous opportunity for IT managers who “reinvent themselves” to thrive in the new era of business and IT.

I think the infinitive phrase "to thrive..." functions as an adjective to "opportunity," and "IT managers who ..." functions as a subject to the verb "thrive."

But the review report that the localization company sent me back says this is an unaccep
... See more
Hello,

Below is the sentence in question:

He sees a tremendous opportunity for IT managers who “reinvent themselves” to thrive in the new era of business and IT.

I think the infinitive phrase "to thrive..." functions as an adjective to "opportunity," and "IT managers who ..." functions as a subject to the verb "thrive."

But the review report that the localization company sent me back says this is an unacceptable major issue in terms of accuracy. I copy and paste the reviewer's additional response below:

You can know the meaning of this sentence from the context, in the new enviroment, IT managers need to improve themselves to enhance their competency(12 core competencies), so that they can adjust themselves to the new era. The IT managers who can achieve these above can have tremendous opportunites. ​

I actually don't see this reviewer's point. But one thing I am sure of is that the reviewer sees my interpretation of the to-infinitive phrase (as described above in red) as a big error.

So I visited this forum to check your opinions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The reviewer's English is itself awful Jan 9, 2016

The reviewer's English is itself awful. Your translation is absolutely correct.

The reviewer wrote:

"You can know the meaning of this sentence from the context, in the new enviroment, IT managers need to improve themselves to enhance their competency(12 core competencies), so that they can adjust themselves to the new era. The IT managers who can achieve these above can have tremendous opportunites. ​"

One possible version of what the reviewer should have
... See more
The reviewer's English is itself awful. Your translation is absolutely correct.

The reviewer wrote:

"You can know the meaning of this sentence from the context, in the new enviroment, IT managers need to improve themselves to enhance their competency(12 core competencies), so that they can adjust themselves to the new era. The IT managers who can achieve these above can have tremendous opportunites. ​"

One possible version of what the reviewer should have written (although it is not entirely clear what s/he is trying to say):

"The meaning of this sentence can be understood from the context: in the new environment, IT managers should "reinvent themselves" by enhancing their competency (12 core competencies) in order to adjust to the new era. IT managers who successfully achieve this may find that outstanding opportunities open up to them."

(or something like that. Phew: this is why I normally refuse proofreading jobs!).

Misspellings in the reviewer's comment:

enviroment
opportunites

From the reviewer's own comment it is perfectly clear that s/he has a very poor command of the English language and is very unlikely to be a native speaker of English. Even if they are, their English is appalling.

I am. And I am in London, surrounded by the English language. Take it from me: this person doesn't know what they're talking about.

I suggest you extricate yourself from the situation with as little damage as possible, get paid, never work for that company again, and give them a negative rating on the BlueBoard.

[Edited at 2016-01-09 14:37 GMT]
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
I agree with Tom Jan 10, 2016

Nothing else to add!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:49
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If you have not worked for the company, you cannot give a BB rating Jan 11, 2016

Sorry, but as far as I can see, you not allowed to give a BB rating for the company, as you have not actually worked for them yet.
http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2

Otherwise I agree entirely with Tom - he has said it all.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:49
French to English
it could go two ways. Jan 11, 2016

personally, I would say that the English is not 100% clear. You understood it one way, it can be understood the other way. As a PM managing a run-of-the-mill project I would expect the translator to either decide from the context (could you?) or ask for clarification. If it's for a test, I would expect them to add a translator's note to the effect that the sentence could mean two different things and provide an alternative translation in case you went for the wrong meaning.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
? Jan 11, 2016

Texte Style wrote:

personally, I would say that the English is not 100% clear. You understood it one way, it can be understood the other way. As a PM managing a run-of-the-mill project I would expect the translator to either decide from the context (could you?) or ask for clarification. If it's for a test, I would expect them to add a translator's note to the effect that the sentence could mean two different things and provide an alternative translation in case you went for the wrong meaning.

I understand the following sentence very clearly and I can see no ambiguity in it:

"He sees a tremendous opportunity for IT managers who 'reinvent themselves' to thrive in the new era of business and IT."

What would be the "wrong" meaning?

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:49
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Exactly Jan 11, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

Sorry, but as far as I can see, you not allowed to give a BB rating for the company, as you have not actually worked for them yet.
http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2

Otherwise I agree entirely with Tom - he has said it all.

What Christine said is right. If you have never worked for this company, you cannot leave a BB rating.

Otherwise, Tom is absolutely correct. Simply move on to greener pastures. Agencies like these are not worth your time.

Best of luck.

Youngjin Kim
South Korea
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much for your help. Jan 11, 2016

Thank you all for your replies. Especially, Tom. As others mentioned, you have said it all.

Below is my previous reply removed by a moderator because of the name of the translation company. So I write that again below.

When I posted my question, I was about to register with a translation company located in China. The company sent a 332-word source text requesting me to provide a sample translation.

And in response to my sample, they sent a review report wh
... See more
Thank you all for your replies. Especially, Tom. As others mentioned, you have said it all.

Below is my previous reply removed by a moderator because of the name of the translation company. So I write that again below.

When I posted my question, I was about to register with a translation company located in China. The company sent a 332-word source text requesting me to provide a sample translation.

And in response to my sample, they sent a review report which contained an evaluation about only one sentence: He sees a tremendous opportunity for IT managers who “reinvent themselves” to thrive in the new era of business and IT. The QA result was marked “unacceptable,” and without specific explanations, there was a suggested alternative translation which interpreted “to reinvent” as “in order to reinvent.”

So I left this comment and sent the report back: Here, the infinitive phrase "to thrive..." functions as an adjective to "opportunity" and "IT managers who ..." functions as a subject to the verb "thrive."

And the reviewer replied to me with the comment I quoted in my first question. So I visited this forum to ask for help because I couldn’t think clearly due to the reviewer’s too assertive attitude. I was attacked twice by the review sheet consisting of one row along with the “unacceptable” mark and then by the reviewer’s insensitive comment. Her comment with misspellings is crass given the severity of her evaluation.

They wanted to sign with me despite the review report. Really weird. But I have decided to take Tom's advice and stayed far, far away from this company. They would surely continue to get on my nerves. The company and the reviewer only showed what a lack of common sense was like.

And Christine and Rita, thank you for your information about a BB rating.

[Edited at 2016-01-11 12:21 GMT]
Collapse

Youngjin Kim
South Korea
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
The given source text Jan 11, 2016

Texte Style wrote:

For more context, below is the whole source text:

Rise of the soft skills

Author and IT consultant Dan Roberts says that more than ever, an IT leader needs to be a people person to succeed. Author and veteran IT consultant Dan Roberts says there has never been a better time to be in the IT profession. He sees a tremendous opportunity for IT managers who “reinvent themselves” to thrive in the new era of business and IT. But this will require a new way of thinking—and very likely a new skill set—to ensure that IT professionals are consultative, client-focused, customer-focused, and market-savvy.

We recently talked with Dan about what role the CIO should play in IT transformation and culture change—and which specific skills should be considered most valuable. As Dan sees it, “In an environment where change is a constant, the pace of business is accelerating, and complexity is becoming the norm, CIOs are transforming their culture and developing a new 21st century IT workforce.” His research with CIOs has identified 12 core competencies, heavy on leadership skills that are critical for success today.

Savvy CIOs and IT leaders are building a cultural foundation based upon service excellence and customer centricity. This doesn’t mean that they’re subservient in any way. Instead, they’re focused on the external "Big C" customer of the corporation and determining how to increase their company's value proposition and ability to compete and gain market share. They’re focused on their internal clients or business partners, delivering value as a strategic partner who anticipates the needs of the business. And they’re also focused on service delivery across the IT organization, knowing that exceptional service starts within.

Only a small fraction of IT leaders have moved their IT organizations up the maturity curve, evolving from a provider of basic services to a strategic partner. Those organizations who have achieved that milestone find themselves in the coveted position of being trusted and credible members of the strategic decision making team who are in a position of influence.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

interpretation of to-infinitive sentence

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »