Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Teacher's room, Teachers' room, Teachers' lounge - in British English
Thread poster: Ryszard Jarza
Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 05:44
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
That's dreadful! Nov 5, 2015

So much for the Oxford Univ. Press!

Definitely "Staff Room" and I was a teacher in various places around the world for 20 years. I have never ever heard "teachers' room" and would assume it was a non-native if I had heard it. As for the apostrophe...well, it's really quite a simple rule.

Some Staff rooms have a separate annex where teachers have allocated spaces to work and shelving for books with a few computers as well, while most just have a general purpose room with
... See more
So much for the Oxford Univ. Press!

Definitely "Staff Room" and I was a teacher in various places around the world for 20 years. I have never ever heard "teachers' room" and would assume it was a non-native if I had heard it. As for the apostrophe...well, it's really quite a simple rule.

Some Staff rooms have a separate annex where teachers have allocated spaces to work and shelving for books with a few computers as well, while most just have a general purpose room with tables, chairs, a kettle and microwave! So, a lot of work can get done at these tables or people can just have their coffee-breaks, chat and eat lunch. A few might have a couch or two. Really depends on the size of the school/staff.
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
staff room Nov 5, 2015

I have never heard anyone call it anything else in the UK.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:14
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Translators workplace Nov 7, 2015

Some old timers at proz.com will recall that for a very long time, this site's tagline used to be "The translators workplace".

I remember having asked a kudoz question (or perhaps started a thread, I am unable to fish out the link to either of these) on the grammatical correctness of this phrase. I had argued that this phrase should use the possessive form.

It lead to a heated debate with people arguing (forcefully and convincingly) for both forms. The argument for "The
... See more
Some old timers at proz.com will recall that for a very long time, this site's tagline used to be "The translators workplace".

I remember having asked a kudoz question (or perhaps started a thread, I am unable to fish out the link to either of these) on the grammatical correctness of this phrase. I had argued that this phrase should use the possessive form.

It lead to a heated debate with people arguing (forcefully and convincingly) for both forms. The argument for "The translators workplace" was that the possessive form is not applicable here, as translators is actually an adjective of workplace!

Anyway, proz.com perhaps decided to play it safe and replaced the phrase with the current one which is "The translation workplace".

I brought this up because it seems quite related to the topic under discussion.

Recalling my school days, the room meant for teachers to relax during off periods in my school was called Staff Room.

I also asked my young school going daughter on what this room is called in her school and she confirmed that her school also uses the term "Staff Room" for this room.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hmmm Nov 7, 2015

In the only possible meaning of "the translators workplace", "workplace" has to be the present participle of a verb, "to workplace".

I don't know what workplacing is. I've never heard of it before. I've never met any workplacers, and I've never known anyone who workplaces or who has workplaced in the past.

Nor do I know which translators are being referred to. Whoever they are, those translators workplace. Good luck to them.

[Edited at 2015-11-07 18:06 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teacher's room, Teachers' room, Teachers' lounge - in British English

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »