Fall essentials...

Back-to-school essentials...

Go back to work in style...

[Edited at 2015-07-14 23:58 GMT]

mariedesmers (X)
mariedesmers (X)
France
It really depends on the context in which the term is used Jul 15, 2015

I am French and it is always tricky to translate these expresions into another language and especially with the French Language.There is no exact translation but the closest one would be "back to school", which is the most general term that reflects the idea. La rentree scolaire means that this is the First day of school but it depends in which context you put it. If it is in the context of advertisement for school items and depending as well as what type of items or even who are the target c... See more
I am French and it is always tricky to translate these expresions into another language and especially with the French Language.There is no exact translation but the closest one would be "back to school", which is the most general term that reflects the idea. La rentree scolaire means that this is the First day of school but it depends in which context you put it. If it is in the context of advertisement for school items and depending as well as what type of items or even who are the target customers ( ie. elementary school, High School, College ) then the translation can become :"back to school" or "Fall Fashion" or "College essentials " " Must have " fall items , "Dorm essentials"....First day of school would be confusing as it would be too "defined" as it could mean " First Day of school as in First Day in Kindergarten". I hope that this helps.

[Edited at 2015-07-15 01:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-15 01:04 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:24
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
September Jul 15, 2015

I agree it altogether depends on the context and the audience. Here in Québec la rentrée often simply means early September, the time when holidays are over and everyone gets back to work, school, etc. It often has no reference to school or even a particular day.

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 12:24
French to Dutch
+ ...
Ready for... Jul 15, 2015

I wanted to suggest something really similar to what John Fossey has been suggesting.

In Belgium, school normally starts the first of September (universities start later, but for some reason it isn't incorporated as much as the first of September).

In a Belgian context, I would translate it as Ready for the first of September or something along that line...

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:24
English to German
+ ...
Another link Jul 15, 2015

http://www.blog.franglish.eu/rentrée-france

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

La rentrée -how do you translate this?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »