Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ours Aug 19, 2014

John Fossey wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

What are they doing to our English?

Whose English is it anyway?

The British think it belongs to their Queen.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:38
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Language change Aug 19, 2014

Nothing is immutable. Like everything else, languages change. Without language change, we would not have that beautiful language known as Italian.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:38
Italian to English
In memoriam
The Queen's English Aug 19, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

The British think it belongs to their Queen.

The beauty of the Queen's English is that is an abstract ideal, as opposed to the academy-regulated sets of rules that constrict so many other languages.

As Michele points out, Italian is beautiful. One of the reasons why it remains so is that there is no "Accademia della lingua italiana" attempting to lay down the law. Italians continue to express themselves as imaginatively as ever while the scholars at the excellent Accademia della Crusca take note, but refrain from interfering

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:38
German to English
+ ...
My reactions Aug 19, 2014

Nobody has yet mentioned that (in the correct English language that I believe I use) "probably" is an adverb (i.e. it qualifies a verb) and "likely" is an adjective (that qualifies a noun or pronoun).

Examples: some Prozians will probably disagree with me, but I am not likely to change my opinion.
I think the use of "likely" as an adverb is an Americanism (arising, I assume, from the idea that a word ending in "ly" must be an adverb), as are some other errors suc
... See more
Nobody has yet mentioned that (in the correct English language that I believe I use) "probably" is an adverb (i.e. it qualifies a verb) and "likely" is an adjective (that qualifies a noun or pronoun).

Examples: some Prozians will probably disagree with me, but I am not likely to change my opinion.
I think the use of "likely" as an adverb is an Americanism (arising, I assume, from the idea that a word ending in "ly" must be an adverb), as are some other errors such as the incorrect use of "practice" (it's a noun) and "practise" (it's a verb).
In my (not always humble!) opinion, most Americanisms in English are simply wrong (in GB English). I approve of, and use, just a few, such as: program (in a computer, not a concert), disk, analog (in a technical context), and a couple more that don't come to mind just now.
Of course, somebody may reply that American spellings (or, at least, some of them) are the correct ones, used by the English-speaking immigrants in the 17th and 18th centuries.
In that case I would have to reply that, for me, the "correct" English is the one that I learned mainly in the third quarter of the 20th century. I can't see myself ever using "likely" as an adverb, or making other "popular" mistakes such as "amount of" where it should be "number of", and others that belong in other threads of discussion.

Oliver
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Aug 20, 2014

"likely" can be an adverb in UK English, it's just that it's used differently in the US.

likely adj 1 probable. 2 suitable or useful for a particular purpose • a likely spot for a picnic. 3 ironic credible •a likely tale. adverb probably.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:38
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I never heard this one. Aug 20, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

"He'll likely come tomorrow"?

And why are such blunders considered American?

What are they doing to our English?

If you would provide some links or any other kind of source from time to time, we might be able to track down the culprit. And we can make make sure that the little anecdotes are not made up.

Cheers

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Italian lovers Aug 20, 2014

All you people drooling over how beautiful the Italian language is may have your rose-tinted spectacles dislodged by watching (for example) this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4xqHTUi9Kk

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQgeB6bi1U

... See more
All you people drooling over how beautiful the Italian language is may have your rose-tinted spectacles dislodged by watching (for example) this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4xqHTUi9Kk

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQgeB6bi1U

In "Speak, Memory" Nabokov describes how as a child travelling through Italy with his mother, there was an Italian word printed as part of a message above the window of the train, and which he found very beautiful: "PERICOLOSO".

No language is inherently beautiful or ugly; it all depends on who's speaking and what they're saying.

Admirers of "the beauty of the Italian language" may be interested to read this very long thread (13 pages and counting) on Proz, discussing how the Italian language is being wrecked by the introduction of words borrowed unnecessarily from English:

http://www.proz.com/forum/italian/196160-difendiamo_litaliano.html

[Edited at 2014-08-20 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No blunders Aug 20, 2014

Nicole Schnell wrote:

And why are such blunders considered American?

I don't think they're blunders; another word, perhaps. I greatly appreciate American English when it is spoken and written by literate people; everyone from Thomas Jefferson to Joan Didion.

And for the record, I consider contemporary American literature much better than contemporary British literature (and almost as good as contemporary Irish literature)

But alas, that is not the American English we mostly get in commercial movies and TV programmes and I have a theory that that's where less literate social groups get their English.

[Edited at 2014-08-20 15:34 GMT]

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:38
Japanese to English
+ ...
Think lower Aug 20, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

But alas, that is not the American English we mostly get in commercial movies and TV programmes and I have a theory that that's where less literate social groups get their English.

[Edited at 2014-08-20 15:34 GMT]

American TV and movies are actually at a pretty high level of English compared to much of what you will hear spoken by many citizens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQjXAzvVGHI

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
probably not Aug 21, 2014

Don't worry Tom, it'll probably never happen, not on my watch anyway.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have we said goodbye to "probably"?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »