"Made I larf" phrase origin
Thread poster: Boru
Boru
Boru
Czech to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2014

I was wondering if someone could shed some light into the origin of the phrase "made I larf". Any kind of info would be appreciated.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 06:41
Turkish to English
+ ...
One small insight Aug 3, 2014

The only small insight I can offer is that the West Country dialect in England does not distinguish between subject and object pronouns and so uses "I" with the meaning of both "I" and "me". Perhaps this points to a West Country origin.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:41
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
West of England dialect Aug 3, 2014

I agree with Tim. I live in West Cornwall and "It made I larf" sounds like traditional "Cornish" speak in which subject and object pronouns are often transposed, e.g. "I seen she walking out with one of they 'ippies" instead of "I saw her walking out with one of those hippies".
I'm not sure how much this form is still used today but it might point to a west of England origin for your phrase. It made I think.
Jenny

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Ever heard of the Wurzels? Aug 3, 2014

The Wurzels are a British West Country band, and had some hits in the 1970s with comedy songs based on farming and cider drinking. Their best-known hit was probably "Combine Harvester", which contains the phrase "She made I laugh" sung in a broad West Country accent.

That's probably the best-known occurrence of the phrase in popular cu
... See more
The Wurzels are a British West Country band, and had some hits in the 1970s with comedy songs based on farming and cider drinking. Their best-known hit was probably "Combine Harvester", which contains the phrase "She made I laugh" sung in a broad West Country accent.

That's probably the best-known occurrence of the phrase in popular culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rQmyAxS3U
Collapse

Boru
Boru
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answers Aug 3, 2014

Thank you! You've all been very helpful.

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Where did the source come from? Aug 5, 2014

I'm from Suffolk and know people who routinely switch form 'I goes and 'he go'.
But 'larf' is more cockney, I've never heard the two together... maybe it's 'estuary yokel'!

[Edited at 2014-08-05 13:19 GMT]

Hannah Keet
Hannah Keet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Definite West Country term Aug 6, 2014

I'm from Devon, I've definitely heard some of the older locals using phrases like that

I can also imagine the Cornish comedian Jethro saying something like that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Made I larf" phrase origin

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »