Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:39
English
+ ...
would’ve Jul 9, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:

I have a feeling it's more the other way round: if those attempting to define the "standard" for apostrophe use had come up with something more sensible and logical in the first place, then people might have been more inclined and naturally able to follow it. Instead, we insist on continuing with a standard that has been a mess of illogicality all along. Why on earth do we insist of this bizarre sadistic etiquette where the apostrophe marks possession and it is a major faux pas to omit it, while at the same time advancing the notion that it is also a major faux pas to write "it's" instead of "its" with the meaning of "of it". Why is it a major faux pas to write "who's" rather than "whose"? Why is it a major faux pas to write "would've" rather than "would have"? Indeed, why have the same piece of punctuation to denote 3 separate things: (1) missing phonetic material currently perceived of as 'missing' or 'abbreviated' by native speakers, (2) phonetic material historically created by a shortening but not simply perceived as a different word by native speakers, and (3) possession? -- are we really unimaginitive enough not to be able to invent dinstinct means of marking these different phenomena? And where is the study showing that they really need marking in the first place?

I write would’ve myself :-/ … of course not in formal writing…

Point taken. Perhaps it’s all unnecessary, but I still feel some sort of marking would facilitate telling the computer that it’s an ending that should not be capitalized, and that’s what I meant when I said it’s “way ahead of its times”.

Perhaps we should adopt the Finnish way of marking endings added to words that are not “normal” with a colon.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plurals ...s or ...'s

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »