Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
May 29, 2011

To deprecate = to express disapproval of [whatever].

But now I read here: http://wp.me/p1zM7y-PA

that "The Google Translate API has been officially deprecated as of May 26, 2011."

To which my reaction is:

Who expressed disapproval of the Google Translate API, and should I care?

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:15
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
deprecate is a software industry term May 29, 2011

[quote]Tom in London wrote:

To deprecate = to express disapproval of [whatever].

But now I read here: http://wp.me/p1zM7y-PA

that "The Google Translate API has been officially deprecated as of May 26, 2011."

quote]

In the software industry, it's not about approval but about being obsolete. It needs to be read ""... has been officially become obsolete as of ..."

I use this term all the time in the area of software application and tool migration projects.

However, the date of statement is not quite true. It will be deprecated by end of 2011 per other info I had read on it.
it is more an announcement on 26 May 2011 that the API will be deprecated by end of year 2011.

Jeff

Koen van Gilst
Koen van Gilst  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
I think it's tech speak for... May 29, 2011

"this software/API/tool is now obsolete"

See the Wikipedia article on deprecation for the origin of the word.

Rebekka Búadóttir
Rebekka Búadóttir  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Icelandic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"Deprecate" has a different meaning when applied to software May 29, 2011

If a software feature gets deprecated, it generally means that its author has stopped supporting it and does not recommend using it anymore. It can also mean that the software feature will be (or has been) removed.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm May 29, 2011

Rebekka Búadóttir wrote:

If a software feature gets deprecated, it generally means that its author has stopped supporting it and does not recommend using it anymore. It can also mean that the software feature will be (or has been) removed.

Personally, if i deprecate something it means I don't like it. For instance, I deprecate the misuse of the English language.

[Edited at 2011-05-29 12:44 GMT]

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Misuse? May 29, 2011

Tom in London wrote:
Personally, if i deprecate something it means I don't like it. For instance, I deprecate the misuse of the English language.

A word can have different meanings in different fields. In this case, you were not aware of one of the meanings. Now you are. Simple as that.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Didn't realise this was so controversial May 29, 2011

In programming, a "deprecated" feature or API is essentially one that should no longer be used for new development. It's really a standard, common use of the word within the field of programming.

Now I think about it, is "deprecate" very common at all outside computing?

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another new verb -- defuscate May 29, 2011

If you don't like deprecate, you will hate another verb that is popping up more often these days – defuscate.

As you might guess, it is the opposite of obfuscate, which means changing the format of an e-mail address to remove the @ so that the address cannot be picked up by hackers. To defuscate means restoring the @ and e-mail address to the correct format. Logical, but perhaps not an embellishment for the English language.

Jeff Allen
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
obfuscate and defuscate. May 29, 2011

Peter Linton wrote:

If you don't like deprecate, you will hate another verb that is popping up more often these days – defuscate.

As you might guess, it is the opposite of obfuscate, which means changing the format of an e-mail address to remove the @ so that the address cannot be picked up by hackers. To defuscate means restoring the @ and e-mail address to the correct format.

Obfuscate is simply the technical term in software programming for "to mask" by using programming methods. It is mainly used in information security needs. I had to use an obfuscation technique a few months ago.

Thanks for info on the new term defuscate. This could come in handy. Sounds better than unfuscate.

Jeff

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
disapproval May 29, 2011

[quote]Jeff Allen wrote:

Peter Linton wrote:

Jeff

I deprecate all of this.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's OK May 29, 2011

Jeff Allen wrote:

Obfuscate is simply the technical term in software programming for "to mask" ....

Jeff

That's fine. In real life. obfuscate also means "to mask" or to "intentionally conceal".

I suspect these computer terms are invented by people who don't get out much, and who have a limited vocabulary. When they do go out, they probably also say "I'll be back momentarily".

Jeff Allen
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
yes, I would never use these terms with non-geeks May 29, 2011

Jeff Allen wrote:

Obfuscate is simply the technical term in software programming for "to mask" ....

Jeff

Tom in London wrote:

That's fine. In real life. obfuscate also means "to mask" or to "intentionally conceal".

I suspect these computer terms are invented by people who don't get out much, and who have a limited vocabulary. When they do go out, they probably also say "I'll be back momentarily".

Yes, I never use such terms with my normal non-geek family and friends. It just makes the geeky and geek-oriented discussion sound geeky.

Jeff

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
finer points May 29, 2011

Jeff Allen wrote:

However, the date of statement is not quite true. It will be deprecated by end of 2011 per other info I had read on it.
it is more an announcement on 26 May 2011 that the API will be deprecated by end of year

No, you just have the meaning of "deprecated" wrong.
As stated in the Wikipedia article linked above by someone else, deprecated features are still available. They are just considered obsolete and may break or be removed without warning at any point in the future. Saying that the feature is deprecated is essentially a warning that you might be able to use the feature, but you shouldn't.

I suspect that this is the origin of the word as well: the use of deprecated features (by the user) is frowned upon (by the developer).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dep May 29, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

use of deprecated features (by the user) is frowned upon (by the developer).
[/quote]

In other words, the developer deprecates their use.

Jeff Allen
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
When is Google API deprecated May 29, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

Jeff Allen wrote:

it is more an announcement on 26 May 2011 that the API will be deprecated by end of year

No, you just have the meaning of "deprecated" wrong.
As stated in the Wikipedia article linked above by someone else, deprecated features are still available. They are just considered obsolete and may break or be removed without warning at any point in the future. Saying that the feature is deprecated is essentially a warning that you might be able to use the feature, but you shouldn't.

According to articles and comments that went up this morning in the Translation Automation group on LinkedIn, Google has announced "end of life" of the Google API at end of year 2011, not now.

I haven't had time to go read all the original press releases, and will do so later today, but based on derivative comments all the features related to the APIs will be in full use until End of Life. To check the details on this.

Jeff

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is this new American English verb?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »