What is this new American English verb?
Thread poster: Tom in London
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
English to Hungarian
+ ...
To Jeff May 29, 2011

I have a nagging feeling that I might have mentioned this at some point in the past, but the term "deprecated" means that the feature has been officially superseded or removed, but, with a bit of luck, you can still use it in its original form (that's to make sure that legacy code doesn't break). Usually, the feature is eventually removed after this transitional period when the people/programs who were using it have had time to adapt.
Example: the Google Translate API became deprecated in
... See more
I have a nagging feeling that I might have mentioned this at some point in the past, but the term "deprecated" means that the feature has been officially superseded or removed, but, with a bit of luck, you can still use it in its original form (that's to make sure that legacy code doesn't break). Usually, the feature is eventually removed after this transitional period when the people/programs who were using it have had time to adapt.
Example: the Google Translate API became deprecated in May 2011. It will be removed as of 1 January 2012. Until then, SDL Studio's Google Translate plugin will still work; by next year, SDL will have to make a deal with Google to keep it alive or move on another MT provider.
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Thanks for the full statement about Google API May 29, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

Example: the Google Translate API became deprecated in May 2011. It will be removed as of 1 January 2012. Until then, SDL Studio's Google Translate plugin will still work; by next year, SDL will have to make a deal with Google to keep it alive or move on another MT provider.

thanks Andras, I had only only seen the derivative statements about the Google decision because was only on a Blackberry without full access to all my accounts.
The entire quoted statement you made above makes more sense in context, and clearly indicates the cut-off date for feature code maintenance and the final end of life date.

Another verb we use in the software industry for application migration is "to sunset" a system or application. I'm in the middle of this right now and working on migration roadmaps.

Jeff

[Edited at 2011-05-29 17:37 GMT]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Magimixed metaphors May 29, 2011

Jeff Allen wrote:

Another verb we use in the software industry for application migration is "to sunset" a system or application. I'm in the middle of this right now and working on migration roadmaps.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

While I respect the software industry's right to use language in whatever way it finds productive, do you not sometimes suspect that all the figurative fireworks are just some geek's way of making routine procedures sound slightly more interesting?

"Sunset", "migration", "roadmaps"? The metaphors are not so much mixed as Magimixed.

In mitigation, let me say that I pass much of my working life translating wine writers' attempts to make yet another Cab Sav-alike sound as if it might be worth spending serious cash for.*

G.

*The phrase-end preposition is for Tom, who must have had English teachers like mine: "a preposition at the end of a sentence is something up with which I will not put" (c) Winston Churchill and various other people.

[Edited at 2011-05-30 05:32 GMT]

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:01
English
+ ...
not yet removed May 29, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

No, this is not exactly right: something deprecated is officially superseded, but not yet removed. (If it is already removed then it is already past the deprecated stage; it’s already obsolete. Luck has no place here.)

As someone else above has mentioned, if something is deprecated, it means it is planned to become obsolete at some point in the near future; it is not yet obsolete, but it will be obsolete (if things go according to the plan, which is usually, but not always, the case—here luck may play a role) and thus is discouraged.

BTW, this is not really new usage; this word has been used this way (in this context) since forever.

[Edited at 2011-05-29 21:17 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, yes, yes May 29, 2011

Yes, I know. I believe it was abundantly clear from my verbose posts to any attentive reader that "officially removed" was meant to say "not officially part of the software anymore, i.e. not officially supported or to be removed soon".

By the way, the somebody you talk about, the person who described the exact meaning of deprecateded was... me.

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
English to Spanish
+ ...
Deprecate May 30, 2011

When I read about Google API being deprecated, I looked up the word and found out the usual non-software definition. Now, I understand it had another meaning.

Peter Linton wrote:

If you don't like deprecate, you will hate another verb that is popping up more often these days – defuscate.

As you might guess, it is the opposite of obfuscate, which means changing the format of an e-mail address to remove the @ so that the address cannot be picked up by hackers. To defuscate means restoring the @ and e-mail address to the correct format. Logical, but perhaps not an embellishment for the English language.

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing.Regards

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is this new American English verb?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »