Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is remembering a concrete process an abstract process or mixed?
Thread poster: Moslehi
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Then it would seem Dec 19, 2003

Moslehi wrote:

PURE ABSTRACT, without any sophistic adulteration. It means you should try your your best to get to that PURITY by omiting or ignoring the EXTRAS involved.

that photographic (eidetic) memory would be the closest to a "pure" memory, to the extent that it is non-selective.

In terms of the apple, this could be tantamount to a person's being able to recall a sort of "bitmap", instead of filtering its symbols to re-translate the more convenient idea of "apple" third- or fourth-hand. Have I understood you right?

I ask because "abstract" may be seen by other persons the other way around, in which the "apple" - even one received by fax - is perceived as more concrete than the statement, "I remember a particular bitmap, with RGB of such and such values."

The fact that some people prefer to work with the memory of the apple might indicate the extent to which they have used selective memory.

This is pretty basic, but I was a bit confused about the question. If I read it intuitively, it would seem to be dealing with two aspects of a rote learning process (visual and auditive) not necessarily exclusively concrete or abstract.

Rote learning is a very important part of certain cultures, such that some are more disposed to it than others. And in those places where expression is more verbal than visual, an "instant recall" of such things as poetry or epics is not uncommon - a phenomenon that outsiders to that environment can find prodigious.

Probably another topic to think about...

[Edited at 2003-12-19 16:24]

acnjones
acnjones
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
Visual/aural memory Dec 22, 2003

I'm afraid I am far below this level of discussion. But here's a few interesting points...

When I recall where a passage is in a book, I know where it's location is on the page.

When I write or read, I can 'hear' the words in my head. Is this connected with memorising or recalling information?

Considering deaf or blind people, anything that is a sensory signal can be stored in their brain and so later recalled as a memory, and analysed for patterns etc. b
... See more
I'm afraid I am far below this level of discussion. But here's a few interesting points...

When I recall where a passage is in a book, I know where it's location is on the page.

When I write or read, I can 'hear' the words in my head. Is this connected with memorising or recalling information?

Considering deaf or blind people, anything that is a sensory signal can be stored in their brain and so later recalled as a memory, and analysed for patterns etc. by the brain. Deaf people do not have visual memory and so cannot 'see' something in their minds, any more than we can 'see' x-rays, or hear ultrasonic sounds - but we know they are there and can comprehend them.

My eyesight is very bad, so I've spent a lot of time having to rely on spacial memory and sensual/aural cues (anyone else search for their glasses all the time?). Does this affect how my memory works?

I forgot what the last point was.
Collapse

Moslehi
Moslehi
Iran
Local time: 13:35
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does anyone here agree? Apr 23, 2004

Does anyone here agree on changing the topic or making a new one?
I personally do no see any necessity unless I am convinced that my question has been posed in a wrong way.
About the visual/aural pair, I am not sure this pair can explain the issue. I have been looking for more factors involved in the M/R process.
EVEN THOSE WITH NO EXPERTISE IN THE FIELD are welcome because every point any of you share about your own experience with us can help analyse the issue better than bef
... See more
Does anyone here agree on changing the topic or making a new one?
I personally do no see any necessity unless I am convinced that my question has been posed in a wrong way.
About the visual/aural pair, I am not sure this pair can explain the issue. I have been looking for more factors involved in the M/R process.
EVEN THOSE WITH NO EXPERTISE IN THE FIELD are welcome because every point any of you share about your own experience with us can help analyse the issue better than before.

and to Mr. Caulfield,
Your Persian equivalent for the Arabic loanword Movaffaqiyat (Success, Luck) is correct: Kámyábi.
The text direction here to write in Perso-Arabic is not suitable on this site; so your word is written [as long as I can read in my WinXP] ltr and not rtl.

I may invite some other scholars to add their comments to this topic.

Regards,
Ali Moslehi Moslehabadi
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I am not a scholar with regard to the mind's working Apr 28, 2004

Nor do I know any jargon in this connection. I will just relate an experience of mine.
It was in the year 1972. I was in Bombay at that time. A colleague of mine introduced me to one Mr.Raghu from Aaduthurai. Immediately something clicked in my mind and I asked him whether he had an uncle called Mr. T.P.K. That guy was amazed and asked me how I found out.
I told him the following: "In the year 1955, my mother, her brother and this uncle of Raghu went to Aaduthurai in connection with
... See more
Nor do I know any jargon in this connection. I will just relate an experience of mine.
It was in the year 1972. I was in Bombay at that time. A colleague of mine introduced me to one Mr.Raghu from Aaduthurai. Immediately something clicked in my mind and I asked him whether he had an uncle called Mr. T.P.K. That guy was amazed and asked me how I found out.
I told him the following: "In the year 1955, my mother, her brother and this uncle of Raghu went to Aaduthurai in connection with a possible alliance for my mother's brother and they stayed in the house of Mr. T.P.K.'s brother. In that house there was a boy of my age (I was 9 at that time), called Raghu". Poor Raghu didn't know how to react. I myself was amazed. Apparently the trigger was "Raghu from Aaduthurai" and my brain did the rest.
Since then I have had more and more of such experiences.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is remembering a concrete process an abstract process or mixed?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »