Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translating into Mexican Spanish - is it really necessary to be from Mexico?
Thread poster: Marisol Honsberg (X)
Earl Rogers
Earl Rogers
United States
Local time: 09:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think so Nov 14, 2003

Marisol, I don't think it's necessary to be from Mexico to translate into Mexican Spanish. I think you do need a lot of exposure to the targeted culture, but it's not necessary to be a native. There is a large and varied Hispanic population where I live, and I very often translate into "Mexican" Spanish for local customers. However, I have spent time in Mexico, and I talk with friends that are from Mexico on a daily basis. One tactic you can use until you become comfortable is to have a nati... See more
Marisol, I don't think it's necessary to be from Mexico to translate into Mexican Spanish. I think you do need a lot of exposure to the targeted culture, but it's not necessary to be a native. There is a large and varied Hispanic population where I live, and I very often translate into "Mexican" Spanish for local customers. However, I have spent time in Mexico, and I talk with friends that are from Mexico on a daily basis. One tactic you can use until you become comfortable is to have a native language speaker review your translation before your deadline. I have done that before and it can be helpful. One other thing to keep in mind is that, there are almost as many differences in dialects within Mexico as there are differences between Mexico and other countries. I have seen in interpreting that sometimes it's better not to be a native speaker of one country. I have friends from one Hispanic country that can't communicate well with people from certain other Hispanic countries while I can communicate with both. My advice: Translate what you feel comfortable with, and makes some friends from other countries. It helps you and it's fun!Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:37
Spanish to English
maybe it is necessary Nov 15, 2003

I live in Mexico and translate from Mexican Spanish into English. There is an amazing amount of technical vocabulary that is specifically Mexican, do you know what a pija is, for example?
Another example is that both in English and Spanish the terminology of tractor parts is very country specific.
Every language is subdivided into lots of local dialects. English, nowadays, less so because of television, the cinema and globalisation, however Spanish has not been so globalised between
... See more
I live in Mexico and translate from Mexican Spanish into English. There is an amazing amount of technical vocabulary that is specifically Mexican, do you know what a pija is, for example?
Another example is that both in English and Spanish the terminology of tractor parts is very country specific.
Every language is subdivided into lots of local dialects. English, nowadays, less so because of television, the cinema and globalisation, however Spanish has not been so globalised between one country and another.
Collapse

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Spanish is indeed tricky Nov 16, 2003

The different Spanish variants (and sometimes even the dialects within the variants) may require, for almost all types of documents, adapting the message to the target population. I think that the right answer to the problem is to establish cooperation schemes with trusted colleagues living in the different linguistic regions, ranging from prior terminology building to final revision, and even full transfer of whole jobs. This allows to offer with confidence to your client any localized Spanish ... See more
The different Spanish variants (and sometimes even the dialects within the variants) may require, for almost all types of documents, adapting the message to the target population. I think that the right answer to the problem is to establish cooperation schemes with trusted colleagues living in the different linguistic regions, ranging from prior terminology building to final revision, and even full transfer of whole jobs. This allows to offer with confidence to your client any localized Spanish version. Sometimes, as for user manuals or SW or Web localizations, offering multiple Spanish versions can be a good idea.Collapse

teech
teech
English to Spanish
Big difference!!! Oct 7, 2006

Marisol Honsberg wrote:

I was born in Venezuela, came to the US 8 years ago and married a Mexican. I also speak Portuguse. I have seen several jobs posted requesting different tipes of Spanish translations, such as, Mexican Spanish. I know very well the differences between my Spanish and the some words used in Mexico and even in the US. I have also seen translations to "Mexican Spanish" in the US that have several deformations of the Spanish language.
Most of the times the jobs request a native. Some of these jobs are very technical and only a few words are different. I would like to know the opinions other translators have about this matter.

Ok, guys. There are so many things to talk about and much more about what SPANISH. Gramatically the very best spanish and please don't rise the voice, is either from COSTA RICA OR MEXICO. Why? It is the most standard and best PRONOUNCED!!! It is not only the names given to something IT IS THE PRONOUNCIATION!!! Have you ever seen Cuban films??? Gosh! They have to put'em subtitles IN SPANISH!!!
Uh! There's something I really recomend and sorry for the natives. Don't ever use Spanish from SPAIN nor ARGENTINA!!!
(Take it easy, don't get hot under the collar).
Ok, english speakers. Here you go. Can you imagine speaking english without SIMPLE PAST??? Worse than that, using Present perfect for both? PP and SP??? That's what happends with spanish from spain!!!
Now with Argentina. Forget the silly Frenchie terms they use. Forget the last syllable they stress. They conjugate of THY!!! Ok, sounds nice but besides that. For example in México in some coastal states (like south east US) people "eat" some letters. Like the S and the R but when they write they place it as it has to be done. In Argentina they conjugate "thy", then they don't pronounce the I in the conjugation and on top of that, THEY DON'T EVEN WRITE IT!!!
the correct way is:
PODEIS in Argentina is podés
QUEREIS querés
COMEIS comés

What kind of spanish is that??? The equivalent for Englisg would be Black aboriginal AUSSIE ENGLISH!!! Get the picture???
I've been doing simultaneous translation for all kind of industry since a bit more than a decade, I also speak French and some Italian. Mexican spanish is not the best in the world but might be the most practical just like US and Canadian english. Uh, please. Don't consider spanish what Mexicans speak at the border with US, that's spanglish!!!

Yours

Alex G.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating into Mexican Spanish - is it really necessary to be from Mexico?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »