A survey on comparing linguistics
Thread poster: Kate Bauer
Kate Bauer
Kate Bauer
English to Russian
Mar 27, 2008

A friend of mine is working on a diploma-project about difference in translation and understanding of such words as - motherland, fatherland, native land. Can you please help her out answering a few questions?!

1.how do you understand the meaning of the expression "native land"?
2. who, in your opinion, is more patriotic, the Russian or American people?
3. what do you associate with the idea of "native land"?
4. what is the difference between
... See more
A friend of mine is working on a diploma-project about difference in translation and understanding of such words as - motherland, fatherland, native land. Can you please help her out answering a few questions?!

4. what is the difference between motherland, fartheland, native land?

Thanks everyone!

Will appreciate any help!
Collapse

Monika Rozwarzewska
Monika Rozwarzewska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:47
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
reply Mar 27, 2008

And who shall I send my reply to?

Richard Ramirez
Richard Ramirez
Local time: 15:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
aswer Mar 27, 2008

I guess, we are supposed to post them here...

ama_li
ama_li
English to Sinhala (Sinhalese)
an answer Mar 28, 2008

Sex:F

Native land is the land one is born.

2. who, in your opinion, is more patriotic, the Russian or American people?I think Russians are more patriotic.

mother, mother tongue

According to what I have heard the
... See more

Native land is the land one is born.

2. who, in your opinion, is more patriotic, the Russian or American people?I think Russians are more patriotic.

mother, mother tongue

According to what I have heard the word Fatherland is assosiated with communism. The word motherland is more emmotional than fatherland/native land for me. I think these three words differ at semantic level. They belong to different semantic entities.

[Edited at 2008-03-28 05:30]
Collapse

Kate Bauer
Kate Bauer
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
A survey on comparing linguistics Mar 28, 2008

You can post your answers here, or send them to my e-mail [email protected]

ama_li, thank you for the contribution!

[Edited at 2008-03-28 16:46]

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:47
Member (2008)
French to English
response Mar 30, 2008

native land is the land where one is born
I have no personal experience with Russian people. American authors I have read who spent time with Russians believe the Russians are much more patriotic
I find it to be a neutral term
4. what
... See more
native land is the land where one is born
I have no personal experience with Russian people. American authors I have read who spent time with Russians believe the Russians are much more patriotic
I find it to be a neutral term
I associate motherland with communist ideology and fartherland with Nazi ideology. I don't claim these associations are valid, but just my interpretations. Native land seems merely descriptive to me.
Collapse

Sushan Harshe
Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 01:17
English to Hindi
+ ...
Responce Apr 1, 2008

Sex: M
1 Native land: A geographical area which one belongs to(not nesessorily he/she/it (?) must have born here).
2 Russian and American both are patriotic (as far as these both are concern(in fact we all being nationals of a nation; love our nation tooooo)).
3 Native land- Defination(Idea of): A geographical area where on leavs from his, her (or Its) ancestors(for generations).
4 Difference between Mother/ father/ native Land: In different culturs nation i
... See more
Sex: M
1 Native land: A geographical area which one belongs to(not nesessorily he/she/it (?) must have born here).
2 Russian and American both are patriotic (as far as these both are concern(in fact we all being nationals of a nation; love our nation tooooo)).
3 Native land- Defination(Idea of): A geographical area where on leavs from his, her (or Its) ancestors(for generations).
4 Difference between Mother/ father/ native Land: In different culturs nation is called with Mother Land or Father Land. Both has the same meaning. Millions of people died for both of these names. Where Native Land relates to just one's location only.
Example: Someone British/American/Indian takes his nation as his mother land and part of his province as his native land. Same applies for Father Land.
Collapse

Patrícia Gomes
Patrícia Gomes
Local time: 20:47
English to Portuguese
A survey on comparing linguistics Apr 5, 2008

Sex: F
1 Native land: reference for the place a person is/was born.
2 Russian and American are both patriots. But, and as patriotism is the main issue, I personally consider Japanese the most patriot people that we have ever seen (take the kamikase example, for instance).
3 Native land- association to the original people that lived in a geografical area. (Aborigines, for example).
4 Difference between Mother/ father/ native Land:
I believe the differ
... See more
Sex: F
1 Native land: reference for the place a person is/was born.
2 Russian and American are both patriots. But, and as patriotism is the main issue, I personally consider Japanese the most patriot people that we have ever seen (take the kamikase example, for instance).
3 Native land- association to the original people that lived in a geografical area. (Aborigines, for example).
4 Difference between Mother/ father/ native Land:
I believe the difference is basically cultural/social.
Mother and fatherland may concern to a social/cultural basis of society that have either women or men as the basis of the family.
For me native land applies to people in general: the aboriginal native land is Australia.
Collapse

VeraHembitska
VeraHembitska
Local time: 22:47
English
+ ...
My reply;) Apr 9, 2008

Hello,to my mind 'native land' is associated with nature, a way, and smells of apples, rain, wood and dewed grass if i can say so, but you've understood;) with honey and blue flowers. In Belorussian it sounds "Бацькаўшчына"? fatherland.
Who is more patriotic??? it depends on a personality. there are patriotic people in the USA and Russia, esp. we should remember Gauss' curve from Maths,it explains everything. Who studies their languge, history, etc more carefully?Russins are
... See more
Hello,to my mind 'native land' is associated with nature, a way, and smells of apples, rain, wood and dewed grass if i can say so, but you've understood;) with honey and blue flowers. In Belorussian it sounds "Бацькаўшчына"? fatherland.
Who is more patriotic??? it depends on a personality. there are patriotic people in the USA and Russia, esp. we should remember Gauss' curve from Maths,it explains everything. Who studies their languge, history, etc more carefully?Russins are usually interested in this things, know their history from the very beginning...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A survey on comparing linguistics

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »