P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:42
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 1, 2018

Yep, it's that time of the year again, with fewer tinsel but more camp.

The official video for Italy's Eurovision 2018 entry contains subtitles in a number of languages. What do you think of these translations? Douze points ou nul points?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zguJGdoPPnw

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not good May 3, 2018

They missed the childish take in the Italian title, at least in the English translation. When we were kids and some kid tried to hurt another, the latter usually retorted with "Non mi hai fatto nienteee, faccia di serpenteee". I don't think an English kid would yell "You haven't done anything to me" in such an occasion.

French translation not good either: here "non sanno che ora è" is generic and not referred to specific subjects, thus the pronoun should be "on" rather than "ils".

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How should we know? May 3, 2018

If we don't understand the Italian?

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Translation May 3, 2018

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Then you hire a translator. They are people who are able to convey meaning from one language to another. They are awesome!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Actually May 3, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Then you hire a translator. They are people who are able to convey meaning from one language to another. They are awesome!

Google Translate is cheaper. And quicker.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How do I know one translation is better if I don't know the source language? May 4, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I can see there is nothing wrong with the German part of the text, but how can I be sure it is a good translation? You tell me.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Heinrich has a valid point May 4, 2018

Gentleman, thank you all for your valuable and witty contributions.

When I posted the link to the song, I didn't want to involve just our colleagues who translate from/to Italian.

Nonetheless, when I happen to read subtitles from a language I don't know, and I see that something just seems off, I can say with a high degree of certainty that the translation isn't very good, because good translators don't do sloppy work. Well, at least they shouldn't.

Daniel
... See more
Gentleman, thank you all for your valuable and witty contributions.

When I posted the link to the song, I didn't want to involve just our colleagues who translate from/to Italian.

Nonetheless, when I happen to read subtitles from a language I don't know, and I see that something just seems off, I can say with a high degree of certainty that the translation isn't very good, because good translators don't do sloppy work. Well, at least they shouldn't.

Daniel says the English and French versions are not good, while Heinrich thinks the German part sounds right, but he can't be 100% sure about it.

The jury is still out, though it wouldn't surprise me if Google Translate played a big part here. It surely is cheaper, quicker and I strongly suspect that people outside of our line of work think it's a perfectly viable alternative to human translation.
But I don't want to open a can of worms, small as it may be.
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
German May 4, 2018

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I can see there is nothing wrong with the German part of the text, but how can I be sure it is a good translation?

You tickled my curiosity about the German. Two remarks:

They used "verschiedenen Eingänge" for "ingressi separati", and I am not sure that it is the best option. If you have a house that is divided in two apartments, each with its own independent entrance, would you use "verschiedenen"?

They used "sich vergnügen" for "divertirsi". I would use "Spaß haben", but this is probably a matter of taste.

I'd be curious about the other languages.

Francesca Ventura
Francesca Ventura
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
English to Italian
+ ...
Not accurate May 5, 2018

The Russian makes sense, but overall it's inaccurate and always slightly different from the Italian:
"In Francia c'è un concerto" becomes "в Париже на концертe" (in Paris at a concert), "non avete avuto niente" is "вы не смогли ничего получить", which I personally like even though it means something more similar to "you couldn't achieve anything" as opposed to "you DIDN'T achieve anything" - but that might just be me being pernickety. It's also inte
... See more
The Russian makes sense, but overall it's inaccurate and always slightly different from the Italian:
"In Francia c'è un concerto" becomes "в Париже на концертe" (in Paris at a concert), "non avete avuto niente" is "вы не смогли ничего получить", which I personally like even though it means something more similar to "you couldn't achieve anything" as opposed to "you DIDN'T achieve anything" - but that might just be me being pernickety. It's also interesting that they translated "non mi avete fatto niente" as "вы не смогли мне испугать", i.e. "you couldn't scare me". Not sure whether that's the Russian equivalent to the "childish" element of the Italian, or a purely stylistic choice.

I agree with Daniel on the English: it's not great - it makes sense of course, but it just sounds like they didn't try very hard.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eurovision 2018

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »