Galina Blankenship
Galina Blankenship  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:12
Member (2004)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2020

Posted at 2019 Word of the Year is “(My) Pronouns,” Word of the Decade is Singular “They”, Jan. 3, 2020.
From the ADS's press-release: "In its 30th annual words of the year vote, the American Dialect Society voted for “(my) pronouns” as its Word of the Year (2019) and singular “they” as its Word of the Decade (2010
... See more
Posted at 2019 Word of the Year is “(My) Pronouns,” Word of the Decade is Singular “They”, Jan. 3, 2020.
From the ADS's press-release: "In its 30th annual words of the year vote, the American Dialect Society voted for “(my) pronouns” as its Word of the Year (2019) and singular “they” as its Word of the Decade (2010-2019). “(My) pronouns” was recognized for its use as an introduction for sharing one’s set of personal pronouns (as in “pronouns: she/her”), while singular “they” was recognized for its growing use to refer to a known person whose gender identity is nonbinary. Singular “they” was previously selected by the ADS as the 2015 Word of the Year."
Other Nominations:
ok boomer: retort to someone older expressing out-of-touch or condescending views
cancel: withdraw support from someone considered problematic or unacceptable
Karen: stereotype of a complaining, self-important white woman, typically a member of Generation X (also “Generation Karen”)
Some other categories (winning nominations indicated by *):
Political Word of the Year
*quid pro quo: exchange of favors (central to Trump/Ukraine impeachment scandal)
#IMPOTUS: derogatory reference to Trump (IMPeached President Of The United States)
squad: nickname for four House Democrats (Reps. Ocasio-Cortez, Omar, Pressley, Tlaib)
Trumpschmerz: suffering induced by constant updates about the Trump administration (Schmerz [German] means pain)
Most Useful/Most Likely to Succeed
*ok boomer: retort to someone older expressing out-of-touch or condescending views
plant-based: made from plants, for food products marketed as meat alternatives
stan: to be devoted or enthusiastic about
zoomer: member of Generation Z
Most Creative
*nobody: phrasal template mocking someone providing an unsolicited opinion (Nobody: Part of a series on Twitter)
(X)-curious: interested in something
gerrymeandering: drawing convoluted congressional district lines for political gain
sksksk: keysmash exclamation, expressing laughter, awkwardness, or amazement
Euphemism of the Year
*people of means: rich people (used by Starbucks executive Howard Schultz to refer to himself and fellow billionaires)
freedom gas / molecules of U.S. freedom: natural gas (used by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) in their press-release of May 28, 2019: ‘Freedom Gas,’ the Next American Export )
Heckboy: Hellboy (used on the marquee of a Tennessee movie theater)
self-partnered: single (used by Emma Watson)
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I don't understand this. Feb 14, 2020

"They" I get, but what do they mean by "(my) pronouns"?

Wout Van den Broeck (X)
Wout Van den Broeck (X)
Belgium
Local time: 00:12
English to Dutch
+ ...
My pronouns = what you want people to address/refer to you by Feb 14, 2020

philgoddard wrote:

"They" I get, but what do they mean by "(my) pronouns"?

When you introduce yourself to someone, you can tell them your pronouns, much as you would tell them your name: "My name is John and my pronouns are she/her".

(Just a thought: this could also be used in a different context, in languages with formal and informal second-person pronouns.)

[Edited at 2020-02-14 15:36 GMT]

philgoddard

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:12
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
My pronouns Feb 14, 2020

My name is Thomas and my pronouns are he and his. But that's just because I am a grumpy old git.

Some people add their pronouns after their name on business cards and in professional and/or social networks – eg. Rosamund who likes to be referred to as 'they' would write Rosamund Twinkle (they/them). Some people also use neopronouns such as ze/zir or ey/em/eir
... See more
My name is Thomas and my pronouns are he and his. But that's just because I am a grumpy old git.

Some people add their pronouns after their name on business cards and in professional and/or social networks – eg. Rosamund who likes to be referred to as 'they' would write Rosamund Twinkle (they/them). Some people also use neopronouns such as ze/zir or ey/em/eirs or whatever tickles their fancy. Everyone should feel free to invent their own neopronoun.

More on this here: https://www.mypronouns.org/

So the 'Word of the Year' is not really a word but rather an idea or a concept.

[Edited at 2020-02-14 15:37 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"(My) pronouns" Named 2019 "Word of the Year" by the American Dialect Society

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »