Thread poster: Keithan Rogers
Keithan Rogers
Keithan Rogers
United States
Local time: 05:56
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2010

As the title states, I need to add Kurdish Language support to several windows PCs. My company will only authorize the use of PAID software, and all the options I can find are free. Are there are PAID software selections out there to add a Kurdish layout/font to windows?

Thanks!

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Kurdish language support - which of the two Kurdish alphabets is wanted? Jul 8, 2010

Greetings.

Curious why you are required to obtain "PAID" software when such Kurdish language support is **already** included -- albeit within another name -- inside most MS Windows OSs.

Kindly clarify your PCs' OSs (Win XP, Vista, Win 7, or what?) and what kind of Kurdish "language support" is needed, and also clarify which of the two distinctive Kurdish alphabets is wanted:

[1] the LTR "latinized" alphabet, with additional modified Latin characters simila
... See more
Greetings.

Curious why you are required to obtain "PAID" software when such Kurdish language support is **already** included -- albeit within another name -- inside most MS Windows OSs.

Kindly clarify your PCs' OSs (Win XP, Vista, Win 7, or what?) and what kind of Kurdish "language support" is needed, and also clarify which of the two distinctive Kurdish alphabets is wanted:

[1] the LTR "latinized" alphabet, with additional modified Latin characters similar to many of those in the Turkish alphabet.

or

[2] the cursive RTL "persianized" [often erroneously termed "arabicized"] Kurdish alphabet with cursive characters?

For [2]: select & install Persian "Farsi" langage support, which support will install keystrokes.

Do a web search to find a diagram of the correct Persian keyboard, print that out and use that as a guide until you become accustomed to the proper keystroke. Helpful also to buy a keyboard which has both the English & Arabic (plenty of those around, average price USD $50 or less) or English & Persian characters (some of those also available in the US, but selection is fewer) printed on each key.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic, Persian
& Kurdish [Kurmanci only]
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Follow-up to yr query re Kurdish-supported software? Sep 20, 2010

Greetings again.

Further follow-up to this thread since last July. Today is Sunday, September 19, 2010.

Curious if you were able to resolve that situation about Kurdish-language support for those various PCs with MS Windows OSs?

As mentioned and verified again, the several versions of MS Windows OSs which MS has launched since 2000 already contain Kurdish-compatible language support -- including both the RTL drivers and the cursive characters of that partic
... See more
Greetings again.

Further follow-up to this thread since last July. Today is Sunday, September 19, 2010.

Curious if you were able to resolve that situation about Kurdish-language support for those various PCs with MS Windows OSs?

As mentioned and verified again, the several versions of MS Windows OSs which MS has launched since 2000 already contain Kurdish-compatible language support -- including both the RTL drivers and the cursive characters of that particular one of the two Kurdish RTL and LTR alphabets in use -- inside their "Farsi" language options packed inside (that is a free capability, and AFAIK there is no specific "Kurdish-specific" software which requires payment).

Hope this helps.

May I ask what subject matter does/did your requester have which requires[d] translation and word-processing into the Kurdish language and in which of the distinctive regional dialects?

I would be pleased to support such translations into Kurdish [Kurmanci only] or otherwise refer you to some bilingual Kurdish-American friends here in California who can handle all the dialects, both alphabets, and most subject matter domains.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Keithan Rogers
Keithan Rogers
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
in Iraq Sep 20, 2010

Stephen, Apologies on the long time to get back to you.

I was working in an office which required routine translation of classified material between English, Arabic, and Kurdish.

The US DoD will not allow free/shareware onto their systems, and in order to provide full Kurdish support we had to find a paid program. We were unable to find such a program and my interpreters could not help at all, so we decided to just stop translating into Kurdish, as the Kurds working
... See more
Stephen, Apologies on the long time to get back to you.

I was working in an office which required routine translation of classified material between English, Arabic, and Kurdish.

The US DoD will not allow free/shareware onto their systems, and in order to provide full Kurdish support we had to find a paid program. We were unable to find such a program and my interpreters could not help at all, so we decided to just stop translating into Kurdish, as the Kurds working with us were all fluent in Arabic anyway.

Thank you for your help though
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
That customer unaware that Kurdish support = already inside your firm's existing MS Widnows OS Sep 21, 2010

Greetings... privyet...

Thank you for your note and your interesting backgrounder

That USDOD customer was/is unaware that Kurdish support is already inside your firm's [as well as DOD's own] existing MS Windows OS, inside the Persian ["Farsi"] option, so no additional software -- whether free or paid -- was needed.

FWIW, typing/word-processing with the LTR "latinized" Kurdish alphabet is much harder than working with the RTL cursive "persianized" alphabet.<
... See more
Greetings... privyet...

Thank you for your note and your interesting backgrounder

That USDOD customer was/is unaware that Kurdish support is already inside your firm's [as well as DOD's own] existing MS Windows OS, inside the Persian ["Farsi"] option, so no additional software -- whether free or paid -- was needed.

FWIW, typing/word-processing with the LTR "latinized" Kurdish alphabet is much harder than working with the RTL cursive "persianized" alphabet.

Hope this helps the next time you get more into-Kurdish productions.

Let me know if anyone there needs bilingual references in English-Arabic-Russian, Russian-Arabic, Arabic-Persian, English-Persian, or Russian-Persian, both general dictionaries and glossaries, and specialized ones on military/technical/industrial topics. If so, glad to refer you to some titles and their US-based vendors here in southern California and others elsewhere in the US and Canada.

The former Academy of Sciences of the USSR produced some excellent and well-detailed descriptive references on various languages and dialects in the Middle East, plus related dictionaries. When the Viktor Kamkin Bookstore closed its doors a few years back, that was a major loss.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2010-09-21 22:48 GMT]
Collapse

Keithan Rogers
Keithan Rogers
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.. Sep 22, 2010

Dobri den

I am a Soldier in Iraq actually, I haven't used this much, I no longer work for Glyph as I was told they no longer have the funds to pay me. I don't even know if they are still a firm at the moment.

I was working in an office with US, Kurdish, and Iraqi officials, and needed to translate between them all (not me, my interpreters) but the Kurdish guy couldn't type Kurdish. It is good to know
... See more
Dobri den

I am a Soldier in Iraq actually, I haven't used this much, I no longer work for Glyph as I was told they no longer have the funds to pay me. I don't even know if they are still a firm at the moment.

I was working in an office with US, Kurdish, and Iraqi officials, and needed to translate between them all (not me, my interpreters) but the Kurdish guy couldn't type Kurdish. It is good to know that the extra characters are in the Farsi alphabet.

I don't even know what they were trying to type in, it looked arabic to me. I definitely know next time, thank you for the information

Russian is not very useful over here, I still am not sure why they sent me over o.0 Everyone here is contracted, If you have a security clearance I would contact GLS (Global Language Services) and send them a resume. The interpreters we use for the most part are not very good at all, I think they would be thrilled to hire a decent speaker.
Collapse

KurdNews
KurdNews
Local time: 14:56
A Kurdish Windows Aug 5, 2011

There was already a campaign(Windowsa Kurdi) for a kurdish Windows at the beginning of 2000 years. The Campaign was developed by a team on kurdish portal www.rojname.com and in 2007 or 2008 transferred to KRG (Kurdish Regional Goverment) in Kurdistan. Later there was a contract between PM Necirwan barzani and Microsoft. But in last 3 years I have heard nothing new about kurdish operating systems.

If
... See more
There was already a campaign(Windowsa Kurdi) for a kurdish Windows at the beginning of 2000 years. The Campaign was developed by a team on kurdish portal www.rojname.com and in 2007 or 2008 transferred to KRG (Kurdish Regional Goverment) in Kurdistan. Later there was a contract between PM Necirwan barzani and Microsoft. But in last 3 years I have heard nothing new about kurdish operating systems.

If KRG prefer arabic script instead of latin script most of kurds will not be able to use kurdish windows.
Collapse

Ibrahim Husein
Ibrahim Husein  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:56
Kurdish to English
+ ...
A Kurdish Windows Dec 15, 2012

Hi,
Just to highlight a bit about the Kurdish Windows.

Microsoft has finally agreed to produce a single language version of Windows 8. When saying a single language; it means English and Central Kurdish or Sorani Kurdish with Arabic alphabet. It is expected that Microsoft releases this Kurdish version by beginning of 2013. This new version will be followed by the Kurdish version of Office 2013 along with so many Microsoft products.

The good thing is that the Kurd
... See more
Hi,
Just to highlight a bit about the Kurdish Windows.

Microsoft has finally agreed to produce a single language version of Windows 8. When saying a single language; it means English and Central Kurdish or Sorani Kurdish with Arabic alphabet. It is expected that Microsoft releases this Kurdish version by beginning of 2013. This new version will be followed by the Kurdish version of Office 2013 along with so many Microsoft products.

The good thing is that the Kurdish people will enjoy a Windows in their own language, while the bad thing is that the translation is not up to our expectation as Kurdish natives. I assume that Microsoft will need to have at least one more revision to rectify the linguistic errors included in this new version, which is released soon.

Nevertheless, even in the absence of a Kurdish version of Windows, as mentioned by the colleagues earlier, any version of Windows can support writing in Kurdish language provided that the correct UTF-8 Unicode Kurdish font and keyboard is installed. Both the keyboard and fonts are available for download free of charge at the following website:

www.kurditgroup.org/downloads

Hope this would be helpful for all those colleagues who seek Kurdish language support for their tasks.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

I need to find a PAID way to add Kurdish support to windows

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »