Thread poster: ISA MARA LANDO
ISA MARA LANDO
ISA MARA LANDO  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 22, 2019

Por favor, colegas, como dizer em inglês "sede própria"? (nao alugada)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Isa Mar 22, 2019

Este não é o lugar certo para fazer esta pergunta, o Kudoz serve para colocar perguntas aos colegas...

[Edited at 2019-03-22 15:58 GMT]

neilmac

ISA MARA LANDO
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sede própria PT_BR>EN Mar 22, 2019

Melhor resposta:
Headquarters on our own premises
Thanks a lot. Sorry for posting my question on the wrong page.

Claudia Leão

Claudia Leão
Claudia Leão
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sede própria Mar 25, 2019

Realmente "headquarters" é a palavra mais apropriada. Também poderia ser "Head office". E não se preocupe por ter se equivocado de lugar para postar. Enganos acontecem mais do que se imagina, embora muitos pensem o contrário. Boa sorte em seu trabalho.

ISA MARA LANDO
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sede própria PT_BR>EN - best answer Mar 26, 2019

Olá Claudia, mto obrigada pela sua gentil resposta!
Nao sou mto frequentadora do ProZ e por isso me enganei ao nao procurar se já havia uma resposta p/ essa dúvida antes de postar.
De fato, headquarters me lembra mais algo militar e head office comercial. Mas tb encontrei headquarters nesse sentido.
O que estava me faltando mesmo era a palavra PREMISES. Eu havia pensado em "on our own property", mas PREMISES é melhor.
Tudo de bom para você! isa mara

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
French to English
+ ...
Agree with your choice Mar 26, 2019

ISA MARA LANDO wrote:

Melhor resposta:
Headquarters on our own premises
Thanks a lot. Sorry for posting my question on the wrong page.

I know just enough Portuguese "to make me dangerous" -- as they say. But I follow when I can threads in this language to try to learn more. Anyway, I got the gist of your question, and I just wanted to say that I agree with your choice: "Headquarters on our own premises" or even "on our own property." It seemed to me that you wanted a phrase to convey two ideas: 1) that this was the headquarters + 2) the fact that it was in a building or "premises" owned by the company. The latter, of course, makes the company seem more solid. Colleen

ISA MARA LANDO
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sede própria PT_BR>EN - best answer Mar 26, 2019

Thank you, Colleen. My problem was that the phrase "sede própria" was just a bullet item on a list of features that included "Registered Employees", "Active Clients". Probably an Excel summary of the company's current situation. So all they wanted to say is that it's a financially solid company that owns, rather than rents, its premises. Another colleague has remarked privately that this kind of statement is not common in other countries while in Brazil "Sede própria" is frequently used to hig... See more
Thank you, Colleen. My problem was that the phrase "sede própria" was just a bullet item on a list of features that included "Registered Employees", "Active Clients". Probably an Excel summary of the company's current situation. So all they wanted to say is that it's a financially solid company that owns, rather than rents, its premises. Another colleague has remarked privately that this kind of statement is not common in other countries while in Brazil "Sede própria" is frequently used to highlight the company's good financial situation. Thanks for caring and sharing. Isa Mara.Collapse

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for reply Mar 26, 2019

ISA MARA LANDO wrote:

Thank you, Colleen. My problem was that the phrase "sede própria" was just a bullet item on a list of features that included "Registered Employees", "Active Clients". Probably an Excel summary of the company's current situation. So all they wanted to say is that it's a financially solid company that owns, rather than rents, its premises. Another colleague has remarked privately that this kind of statement is not common in other countries while in Brazil "Sede própria" is frequently used to highlight the company's good financial situation. Thanks for caring and sharing. Isa Mara.

Thanks for the reply. Your English is very good! Muito Bom! Would that my Portuguese were 1/4 or 1/5 as good as your English.
Brazil = nice country, nice people speaking beautiful language. Ciao. Colleen

ISA MARA LANDO
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PT_BR>EN - Sede própria Headquarters / Head office on our own premises Mar 26, 2019

Hi Colleen, thank you kindly for your answer. My English is good b/c I've had many privileges in this respect since I was a child, like an American aunt, a Jewish family very driven to languages and international travel, a good public school in São Paulo (those were the days!), an American boyfriend in my 20s, the chance to travel abroad as a teenager and make friends from many countries etc. So the merit is not mine, rather I have been very lucky. I have tried to give it all back to society ... See more
Hi Colleen, thank you kindly for your answer. My English is good b/c I've had many privileges in this respect since I was a child, like an American aunt, a Jewish family very driven to languages and international travel, a good public school in São Paulo (those were the days!), an American boyfriend in my 20s, the chance to travel abroad as a teenager and make friends from many countries etc. So the merit is not mine, rather I have been very lucky. I have tried to give it all back to society with my book VocabuLando - Vocabulário Prático Inglês-Português (Disal Editora, S.Paulo), 560 pages, which has had several editions and is appreciated by many translators. You might want to read about it on my virtual bookstore isabooks.disaldigital.com.br.
My email is [email protected] in case you want to keep in touch.
I apologize in advance to all ProZ members if all of the above is out of place here but just wanted to reply to Colleen's kind words.
Cheers and good luck to all. Thanks again for giving me a good solution to "sede própria".
Collapse

Colleen Roach, PhD

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Own headquarters Mar 26, 2019

headquarters is perfectly fine.
If it's on a bullet list, keep it simple, so 'own headquarters': any English reader will understand that

Colleen Roach, PhD

ISA MARA LANDO
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PT_BR>EN - Sede própria - OWN HEADQUARTERS Mar 26, 2019

Thanks a lot, Richard Purdom, "Own headquarters" would solve my problem perfectly. A pity I have already delivered my translation to the client, but will make a note of it for the future. Cheers. isa mara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: Real Estate PT_BR>EN

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »