Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 30, 2020

Hello everyone

Has anyone here used more than one password manager yet, and found that one of them is definitely better than the other? Which one was better, and why? Or, did anyone try a password manager, but gave up using it after a while? I'm talking about programs like 1Pass, Dashlane, LastPass, KeePass, etc.

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2020-06-30 13:02 GMT]

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Mindyourpass Jun 30, 2020

You might like to take a look at Mindyourpass, which a friend of mine is developing. It's in the beta phase but up and running. Currently works by installing an app in your browser (mobile apps to follow). You only need to enter one simple password (after you have logged into the app with a strong password) and then it will generate very strong (if not uncrackable) passwords for you, which it does... See more
You might like to take a look at Mindyourpass, which a friend of mine is developing. It's in the beta phase but up and running. Currently works by installing an app in your browser (mobile apps to follow). You only need to enter one simple password (after you have logged into the app with a strong password) and then it will generate very strong (if not uncrackable) passwords for you, which it does not itself store. Take a look here: https://www.mindyourpass.io/ (only in Dutch at the moment). I'm beta testing it and like it a lot.

Olly
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
More than 10 unique passwords? Jun 30, 2020

The big issue with storing all eggs passwords in a basket is (1) guessing the algorithm, even garbled hashes are relatively easy to decipher, (2) a certain software piece can be easily intercepted, (3) for better security, one should change passwords every 7-15-30 days, not to mention (4) without typing passwords, one quickly forgets and heavily relies on the “crutches”.

I still use eight
... See more
The big issue with storing all eggs passwords in a basket is (1) guessing the algorithm, even garbled hashes are relatively easy to decipher, (2) a certain software piece can be easily intercepted, (3) for better security, one should change passwords every 7-15-30 days, not to mention (4) without typing passwords, one quickly forgets and heavily relies on the “crutches”.

I still use eight mutating passwords at my laptops, whereas all the devices accept my face and fingerprints.

P.S. One who knows several languages may use it wisely)
Collapse

Erwin van Wouw
Erwin van Wouw  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Bitwarden Jun 30, 2020

If you're looking for a good password manager, you might want to try the open source alternative Bitwarden.
https://bitwarden.com/

Jean Dimitriadis

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
While we wait for answers to the original question... Jun 30, 2020

I need something that runs on Windows, Android and iPad, and for which synchronization is simple. A browser extension and web app is not really necessary.

Right now, I'm test driving Dashlane. I already discovered that Dashlane allows only one database per user, which means that if I want to keep separate password lists on e.g. my desktop and my phone, I need to use up 2 of the 5 user slots. The layout is cumbersome and not well thought through, but I can live with it. I also tr
... See more
I need something that runs on Windows, Android and iPad, and for which synchronization is simple. A browser extension and web app is not really necessary.

Right now, I'm test driving Dashlane. I already discovered that Dashlane allows only one database per user, which means that if I want to keep separate password lists on e.g. my desktop and my phone, I need to use up 2 of the 5 user slots. The layout is cumbersome and not well thought through, but I can live with it. I also tried KeePassXC, and although I find the layout quite nice, synchronization isn't automated and isn't extremely simple, and the apps for Android and iPad are developed by two distinct companies, so they don't work the same, which will make troubleshooting a family member's device more difficult. I've already learnt that it is a bad idea to replace your browser's password vault with Dashlane's browser, because it is super intrusive.

It may be that a combination approach is best: use the browser's built-in vault, use KeePassXC for making backups of all of passwords from all sources, and use the paid password manager (e.g. Dashlane) for a specific, limited set of passwords only.

@DZiW: I use unique 16-character passwords for each site or system that I log in to, which I generate manually using this site. I currently store the passwords in a TXT file locked inside an encrypted ZIP file (256-Bit AES), which is a perfectly secure and [for me a] rather user-friendly way of storing login data, but it means that I can't access it easily on e.g. Android, and this method isn't something that I can convince my partially computer illiterate family members to use as well.

[Edited at 2020-06-30 15:20 GMT]
Collapse

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Hedwig Spitzer (X)  Identity Verified
Peru
French to Spanish
+ ...
1Password Jun 30, 2020

Hello Samuel,

We have been using this one for several years now, without any issue at all. We tested several managers at the time and preferred this one because it was really simple to use and available from any device, never failed. We got the family plan (which no longer exists) and it is great! We have it in all our devices (Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, web, app). We chose to store the database in a reliable cloud service so synchronization is permanent and seamless. I totally rec
... See more
Hello Samuel,

We have been using this one for several years now, without any issue at all. We tested several managers at the time and preferred this one because it was really simple to use and available from any device, never failed. We got the family plan (which no longer exists) and it is great! We have it in all our devices (Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, web, app). We chose to store the database in a reliable cloud service so synchronization is permanent and seamless. I totally recommend it.
We have not even try to test more recent solutions because this one is perfect for our needs.

Good luck!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: 1Password Jun 30, 2020

Hedwig Spitzer wrote:
We got the family plan (which no longer exists) and it is great!

They do have a family plan at this time ($60 per year for 5 users, which is the same as Dashlane).

I signed up for 1Password as well, just to compare. 1Password has a nicer UI and appears to have more features, but it requires a lot of googling to figure out what is what. I had to google on how to log in after sign-up because the login screen did not make sense to me.

[Edited at 2020-06-30 16:40 GMT]

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
+1 for 1Password, Bitwarden, Dashlane Jul 3, 2020

I have just read the new issue of a leading PC magazine and out of 15 password managers for Windows tested only 1Password, Bitwarden, Dashlane and StickyPassword have received a virtually unreserved recommendation.

[Edited at 2020-07-03 15:32 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Currently testing... Jul 3, 2020

Sebastian Witte wrote:
I have just read the new issue of a leading PC magazine and out of 15 password managers for Windows tested only 1Password, Bitwarden, Dashlane and StickyPassword have received a virtually unrestricted recommendation.

I'm currently testing 1Password, Dashlane and BitWarden. I think BitWarden is going to fall off the list because you can't tell your browser to remember the master password, which means that every time you start your browser, you have to type the master password (or a PIN) all over again. I've also learnt that the password manager's autofill function does not replace the browser's, so if you don't want them to clash with each other, you have to disable the browser's autofill. However, this means that some passwords don't get remembered and you have to add them to the password manager manually.

I've never heard of StickyPassword, but it doesn't seem to run on iPad and Android.

[Edited at 2020-07-03 15:47 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Bitwarden Jul 3, 2020

In Bitwarden Settings, you can define the log out behavior to a timed one or none, which would keep you logged in forever.

95% of the time, when you enter a new password on a website (you can also pick up a generate one), Bitwarden asks you if you want to remember it.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Storing all eggs in one basket (hi, @DZiW) is not a good idea, IF the basket is inside of your PC. Jul 4, 2020

Sebastian Witte wrote:

received a virtually unreserved recommendation

Hm. The magazine is c't, isn't it? There are two articles. The first article (i. e. the article you seem to be referring to) ends with "In this article we have explicitly excluded the topic of security (...) regarding the protection of the local master password."

The second article described that all of those 15 password managers disclosed the master password when using a standard memory viewer tool. They store the passsword in RAM, in plain text form! Only Keepass and Sticky Password withstanded that simple attack.

Of course there are more sophisticated attacks. So, it's like noting down your master password onto a sheet of paper, putting that sheet underneath a carpet and placing a sign on a wall: "Probably the password is under a carpet. Sorry for the inconvenience, you will surely find the right carpet!"

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rolf Jul 4, 2020

Rolf Keller wrote:
Storing all eggs in one basket is not a good idea, IF the basket is inside of your PC.

The value of a password manager for me is convenience, not security. It does not matter to me that the master password is available in the computer's memory. What matters is the ability to use different, long passwords for different online services without having to remember them all, even on multiple devices. The services that really, really need security, use two- or multi-step authentication anyway.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Another candidate Jul 4, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
...What matters is the ability to use different, long passwords for different online services without having to remember them all, even on multiple devices...

I don't have any measure for comparison, but I've been using Steganos Password Manager (https://www.steganos.com/en/products/steganos-password-manager-21 ) on my desktop for many years. I currently have 83 different passwords, and I know none. It looks like the password base might be portable to mobile devices.
I like the widget for its drag-and-drop features, and the password generator where you can set requirements (special characters, length, uppercase, etc.).

Philippe

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
. Jul 4, 2020

[Edited at 2020-07-04 15:53 GMT]

beronike
beronike
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I use Bitwarden Sep 15, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Sebastian Witte wrote:
I have just read the new issue of a leading PC magazine and out of 15 password managers for Windows tested only 1Password, Bitwarden, Dashlane and StickyPassword have received a virtually unrestricted recommendation.

I'm currently testing 1Password, Dashlane and BitWarden. I think BitWarden is going to fall off the list because you can't tell your browser to remember the master password, which means that every time you start your browser, you have to type the master password (or a PIN) all over again. I've also learnt that the password manager's autofill function does not replace the browser's, so if you don't want them to clash with each other, you have to disable the browser's autofill. However, this means that some passwords don't get remembered and you have to add them to the password manager manually.

I've never heard of StickyPassword, but it doesn't seem to run on iPad and Android.

[Edited at 2020-07-03 15:47 GMT]

I am actually happy to type the master pass, so I do not forget it.
I know I can keep it saved somewhere, but it's ok for me

Daryo

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Password managers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »