So, how many of you are moving to Groups.io this year?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 10, 2019

Hello

As some of you may be aware, Yahoogroups is going to delete all old messages by mid-December, and will change its e-mail group service to a mail-forwarding service. This has prompted many Yahoogroups groups to seek other accommodation.

I'm curious about how many of you are either members of a Yahoogroup that is moving to Groups.io or are a moderator or owner of a Yahoogroup that is moving to Groups.io. If you are the owner or moderator of a group that is moving,
... See more
Hello

As some of you may be aware, Yahoogroups is going to delete all old messages by mid-December, and will change its e-mail group service to a mail-forwarding service. This has prompted many Yahoogroups groups to seek other accommodation.

I'm curious about how many of you are either members of a Yahoogroup that is moving to Groups.io or are a moderator or owner of a Yahoogroup that is moving to Groups.io. If you are the owner or moderator of a group that is moving, are you moving the entire group (the $220 option) or are you moving only the members list (the $20 option) or are you creating a new free group and simply inviting all old members to the new group?

At least four groups that I'm a member of, have moved. I have also moved one of my own groups, ZaLang (a general discussion group for South African translators), using the $220 option. For another one of my own groups, ZaLangMed (you can guess...) I have decided to simply create a new free group and upload all old messages as files.

For many of the groups that I'm a member of, I have used the IgnoredAmbience python scripts to download all old messages and files, and I have written a small JSON-to-EML converter in AutoIt to convert the downloaded messages to a format that I can import into Thunderbird.

So, how about you?

Samuel
Collapse

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:20
English to German
+ ...
PT Nov 11, 2019

I am a member of Pt, who has moved last Friday without any hustle. However, an additional $200 was necessary in order to have this done quicker as the Moderators said -- otherwise -- the Group was in line as 600th-something to be moved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So, how many of you are moving to Groups.io this year?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »