Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Shocking news Jan 27, 2015

Dear Nicole,

May you rest in peace and my condolences to all your loved ones.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 19:56
Japanese to English
Rest in peace Feb 2, 2015

I just found out as well. No wonder I hadn't seen her around lately. Like many others I enjoyed reading her honest, forthright (sometimes harsh) comments. We translators have a way with words that makes it all too easy for us to pussyfoot around difficult topics, but you could always count on Nicole to just lay it out there. What a loss to the Proz community. RIP.

Stefanie Neubert
Stefanie Neubert  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to German
+ ...
eine beeindruckende Kollegin Feb 13, 2015

Ich habe Nicoles Beiträge auf proz.com über viele Jahre hingweg mit großer Ehrfurcht verfolgt. Eine unglaublich kompetente Übersetzerin und starke Persönlichkeit, das ließ sich aus jeder einzelnen Zeile herauslesen. Es tut mir sehr leid nun -wenngleich auch spät - zu erfahren, dass sie uns nicht länger an ihrer Brillianz wird teilhaben lassen können. Ein Schock.

Mein allerherzlichstes Beileid der Familie, allen Verwandten und Freunden.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-02-13 17:11 GMT]

Isabel Severing
Isabel Severing
German to English
+ ...
RIP Feb 22, 2015

OMG, I haven't been on proz.com in years, and pretty much the only person I remember from here is..., yes, Nicole Schnell. Always on the spot, language-wise. Always seriously impressed me. So sad to hear the news (even if they aren't exactly new any more). R.I.P.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bye, Nicole Mar 5, 2015

Like others, I was wondering where Nicole had got to lately. Very sad to hear about this - I didn't know she'd been ill.

You'd see "Nicole Schnell" as the latest poster on a thread here, and it was impossible not to take a look. Incisive, cutting, amusing, knowledgeable, but never boring.

Hope it goes well for you, Nicole, wherever you are. Nobody will be messing with you, that's for sure.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:56
English to Russian
Oh no... this can't be true... Nicole, I will miss you Apr 25, 2015

I have already started writing a letter to Nicole this afternoon, and wanted to have a look at her ProZ profile to check some details... What a shock it was, to see the "In memoriam" message instead.

I have enjoyed reading her comments on various topics in ProZ fora for years. Throughout this period, I never suspected she was fighting cancer all these years. We started to correspond in late June last year when she sent me a private message in connection with a then-current discussio
... See more
I have already started writing a letter to Nicole this afternoon, and wanted to have a look at her ProZ profile to check some details... What a shock it was, to see the "In memoriam" message instead.

I have enjoyed reading her comments on various topics in ProZ fora for years. Throughout this period, I never suspected she was fighting cancer all these years. We started to correspond in late June last year when she sent me a private message in connection with a then-current discussion on ProZ. It was two weeks later that she mentioned her illness for the first time. One would never believe she was struggling with it all these years, because she was so alive and optimistic.

I did not have much time to be active in ProZ fora in the last six months, and I did not have a chance to notice that she stopped posting her invaluable comments and advice... until opening her profile page today...

RIP, Nicole, you will be missed by many fellow translators here.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I will definitely miss her terrific sense of humor May 7, 2015

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/97826-do_translators_need_sleep-page3.html#1365143

http://www.proz.com/forum/german/235693-hach_das_komma.html

[Edited at 2015-05-07 17:14 GMT]

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
oh nein! Jun 30, 2016

Man möge mir meinen wahrlich verspäteten Eintrag verzeihen, aber gerade in den letzten Tagen habe ich meinem Mann so viel von Nicole erzählt - wie sie mich inspiriert hat, wie sie mir als Einsteiger "auf die Sprünge" half. Heute dachte ich mir, ich google jetzt mal nach ihr, weil es doch nicht sein kann, dass ich sie überhaupt nicht mehr als Partner zur Seite gestellt bekomme - und nun lese ich das. Bin erschüttert und sehr traurig!

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
I know it's late in coming but it's the only way I know Sep 7, 2017

Please allow me this little adaptation of a Lou Reed song

Nicole, it's me, haven't seen you in a while
I wished I talked to you more when you were alive [...]
I really miss you, I really miss your mind
I haven't heard ideas like that in such a long, long time [...]
I know it's late in coming but it's the only way I know
Hello it's me
Goodnight, Nicole

From Lou Reed – Hello It's Me

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Still miss you, Nicole Sep 7, 2017

... I was thinking about one of your wise comments just the other day!
So glad we can still find them.

Michele Fauble

Milena Chkripeska
Milena Chkripeska  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
Member (2009)
English to Macedonian
+ ...

RIP, dear Nicole! Jun 8, 2019

I can't believe it happened...(( I've been always thinking that great people like her are immortal, and she is immortal, at least to me!!! It's only now that I've realized that she left us almost 5 years ago...

Mil gracias por todos los consejos, querida! Estoy acabando la tesis doctoral y por supuesto te voy a mencionar alli, te agradezco por la ayuda y animos... En mi corazon sigues siendo un angelo, una persona ma
... See more
I can't believe it happened...(( I've been always thinking that great people like her are immortal, and she is immortal, at least to me!!! It's only now that I've realized that she left us almost 5 years ago...

Mil gracias por todos los consejos, querida! Estoy acabando la tesis doctoral y por supuesto te voy a mencionar alli, te agradezco por la ayuda y animos... En mi corazon sigues siendo un angelo, una persona maravillosa...
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Goodbye Nicole Jun 10, 2019

I had wondered whether she'd left the site.
Although I "knew" her only through her posts here, sharp and tough are the two adjectives that spring to my mind. She was a pleasure to read.
My sympathies,
Philippe

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

RIP Nicole Schnell

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »