Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:41
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jun 20, 2009

I would like to report the passing of my friend and translator, Can Altinbay.
http://www.proz.com/profile/102050
After a 1.5 year battle with cancer, he passed away peacefully in sleep surrounded by his family and those who loved him, on yesterday June 18th.
I will miss his intellect, humor, wit and his passion for translating.
Allah rahmet eylesin.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
German to English
Sad news Jun 20, 2009

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I remember reading some of his forum posts.

My deep sympathies to his family and friends.

Niraja

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:41
English to German
+ ...
*** Jun 20, 2009

From his contributions here you could tell that he was a gentle soul, considerate and kind. I am sorry I never met Can in person, but I have often appreciated and will always remember his soft-spoken, modest manner here, among colleagues. I am sure he will be missed by many; my thoughts are with his family.

johanna

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May he rest in peace Jun 20, 2009

Another good translator and colleague left us pursuing a better kind of existence. My simpathy to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
Rest in peace, Can Jun 20, 2009

I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't know him personally, either, but he was always friendly in our exchanges here. His family is in my prayers.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sad news Jun 20, 2009

My deepest condolences to his family.

Nobuo Kameyama
Nobuo Kameyama  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:41
English to Japanese
I am shocked to hear the sad news Jun 20, 2009

I don't know him personally either but I liked his messages on KudoZ as his messages reminds me of Sumurai... He did not post a message these days so I simply thought his job must have kept him quite busy...

I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to his family.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Very sad news Jun 20, 2009

I am shocked to hear this, Alp. I had no idea that even he was ill. This is the worst thing about this Internet business. Nailed in chairs scattered all around the world, we can never know one another's pain on time - and we couldn't be there even if we'd known.

Can had a unique background as a translator, had a true passion for languages and cultures, and was a very mature and nice person in his on-site dealings. We corresponded many times: shared translation tips, exchanged site
... See more
I am shocked to hear this, Alp. I had no idea that even he was ill. This is the worst thing about this Internet business. Nailed in chairs scattered all around the world, we can never know one another's pain on time - and we couldn't be there even if we'd known.

Can had a unique background as a translator, had a true passion for languages and cultures, and was a very mature and nice person in his on-site dealings. We corresponded many times: shared translation tips, exchanged site gossip, referred each other to clients, told each other about our cats (who are, by the way, twin brothers). I had always hoped to meet him someday in a powwow somewhere. It is very sad to learn now that this will never happen. My sorrow is indescribable.

Alp, please share our sympathies and condolences with his family. Please let them know that Can will be in our thoughts and will always be remembered.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
My condolences Jun 20, 2009

I "knew" Can only from his forum postings and a few personal email exchanges. I found him to be a very intelligent person, with an independent mind, and from the looks of it, a very nice guy. I would have liked to meet him in person.

So sad. My condolences to his family.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
Shocked and saddened Jun 20, 2009

I'm shocked and deeply saddend by the news. My heart goes out to his family in the time of sorrow.

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:41
Japanese to English
deeply shocked. Jun 20, 2009

I can't believe it.
Can was a lovely guy with a warm sense of humor.
We will really miss him in the Japanese sub-community.
My sincerest condolences to his loved ones.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:41
Spanish
+ ...
My thoughts are with his family Jun 20, 2009

I'm really sorry to hear about Cam's passing, I also "knew" him only by his posts. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Claudia

Shannon Morales
Shannon Morales  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:41
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
What a pity Jun 20, 2009

I'm so sorry to hear of Can's passing. His unique name stuck with me, and his presence will be missed in the forums here. I'll keep his family in my prayers.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
sad news Jun 21, 2009

I'm another of those who only "knew" Can through his forum posts, which were always interesting. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

Tokyo_Moscow
Tokyo_Moscow  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:41
Japanese to Russian
+ ...
How sad Jun 21, 2009

Very sad news. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Japanese forum and other fellow translators will always miss you...
Rest in peace, Can.

[Edited at 2009-06-21 10:05 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

The Passing Of Can Altinbay

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »