Sabine Akabayov, PhD
Israel
Local time: 22:27
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 28, 2014

First, sorry for posting in English.

My family is returning to Israel in the summer after 7 years in the US. Translation was not my primary occupation (I'm a scientist), but now I want to work as a freelancer full time. I know that I have to register with Bituach Leumi and open tax files. Do you have any good resources (links/books) with tips for freelancers (especially taxes)?
When I register, do I have to have a business name or would I register under my own name?
Ca
... See more
First, sorry for posting in English.

My family is returning to Israel in the summer after 7 years in the US. Translation was not my primary occupation (I'm a scientist), but now I want to work as a freelancer full time. I know that I have to register with Bituach Leumi and open tax files. Do you have any good resources (links/books) with tips for freelancers (especially taxes)?
When I register, do I have to have a business name or would I register under my own name?
Can I deduct business expenses on my tax return that were incurred before registering (I was thinking of buying software/dictionaries/setting up my website here in the US before moving to Israel)?
I'm grateful for any tips you might have for me.
Thanks and Shabbat Shalom!!
Collapse

Daniel Rabinovich
Daniel Rabinovich  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2018)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Contact me Mar 31, 2014

You only need to select a name for your business if you give invoices (עוסק מורשה). If your income is low you can be an עוסק פטור. You can select any name.

You can contact me if you have any questions on starting your business.
For some questions you'll have to consult an accountant (deducting business expenses incurred abroad). Another option is the free consultation given by the tax authority before the tax report is submitted.

[Edited at 2014-03-31 19:00 GMT]

Asaf Beeri
Asaf Beeri  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Simplify things by a third-party invoicing company May 18, 2014

Shalom, and welcome back to Israel, I wish you all the best.

Now, there is an alternative to dealing with the tax authorities, by using the services of a third-party company - you register with them as a wage earner (שכיר) and they issue the invoices for you, pay your income tax, social security and VAT. They charge a 5% commission for their services, could be negotiable.

I have been working for a company called עצמאי שכיר for the last six years. You can c
... See more
Shalom, and welcome back to Israel, I wish you all the best.

Now, there is an alternative to dealing with the tax authorities, by using the services of a third-party company - you register with them as a wage earner (שכיר) and they issue the invoices for you, pay your income tax, social security and VAT. They charge a 5% commission for their services, could be negotiable.

I have been working for a company called עצמאי שכיר for the last six years. You can check out their site here: http://www.atzmai.co.il/.

I strongly advise you also take this issue to a certified public accountant and decide for yourself what suits you best.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Starting as freelancer in Israel

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »