ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:44
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Dec 30, 2015

This article is about a 75-year-old research study on happiness that is worth reading.

http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_waldinger_what_makes_a_good_life_lessons_from_the_longest_study_on_happiness

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:44
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Epic searches in most cases are a waste of time Dec 30, 2015

Hi Atil,

the research is a proof of what happens to everyone during their lifetime. First most people think money is all, and as life goes values might be reviewed and adapted to very or every specific needs. In the end, people understand the 'time concept' that should have been put in practice long ago. But, still, life is an amazing experience, good or bad, it is worth trying all the possibilities that might come.

Happy Holidays!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Interesting article... Dec 30, 2015

... but I would probably be happier if all the authors could agree on what makes us happy! I have just finished reading the latest E. Tory Higgins book and he says that the good old principle of happiness is... being yourself!

On that note, I wish you all good health, happiness and success in the new year!

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:44
German to English
+ ...
having read it Dec 30, 2015

I was tempted to stop reading after the close to first line "If you think it's fame and money, you're not alone." That's a pretty shallow expectation.

To summarize, they studied a selection of people, male only, over a long period of time. They have a single conclusion at the end - "good relationships", which seems to mean primarily marital partners, since they talk of finding another "playmate" if the spouse dies or disappears.

Taken at face value this could be a tad
... See more
I was tempted to stop reading after the close to first line "If you think it's fame and money, you're not alone." That's a pretty shallow expectation.

To summarize, they studied a selection of people, male only, over a long period of time. They have a single conclusion at the end - "good relationships", which seems to mean primarily marital partners, since they talk of finding another "playmate" if the spouse dies or disappears.

Taken at face value this could be a tad depressing for any reader who ended up being a single parent, for example. And if it is harder for an older woman to find a partner, is she condemned to not having a "good life" - and does it mean that she has not had a "good life"? If a man has lost a spouse, should he rush out to find another partner, or else his "good life" will have ended?

I'm also wondering whether any of the men they studied were ever poor - really, really poor - like struggling to get basics for your family and having to deprive their dependents. Money doesn't matter in the equation? At all?

How about attitude? It's not even mentioned. We don't always have control over our circumstances, and that includes "relationships" (having a partner). I'd hate to see anyone fret about not having a "good life" because of the lack of a partner. You can do something about attitude and how you deal with your particular deck of cards on a daily basis.

I'm glad I did not read this as a young person, and cannot agree with the conclusions as a not-young person. I think I would have become quite despondent in the mid-years, had I adopted the perspectives suggested in the article.
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Experience/Experiment Dec 30, 2015

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

Hi Atil,

the research is a proof of what happens to everyone during their lifetime. First most people think money is all, and as life goes values might be reviewed and adapted to very or every specific needs. In the end, people understand the 'time concept' that should have been put in practice long ago. But, still, life is an amazing experience, good or bad, it is worth trying all the possibilities that might come.

Happy Holidays!

Thank you for your comment, Paulinho. I actually found the article quite amazing. I used to think that happiness is a function of your mental attitude, your way of thinking, whether you are positive or negative overall, etc. I did not think that relationships play a key role in a "good" life.

I always valued scientific studies in my life. Therefore, I believe in the findings of this study. That reminded me that I am a long way from a "good" life. Unfortunately. I should definitely work on my relationships, whether it is family, friends or community. I never thought those relationships were that important.

By the way, I agree that life is an experience as well as an experiment. We learn so much as we go along. Also, I believe that luck plays a tremendous role in life. We just do not give it much thought. Perhaps someone throws some dice that we never know.

Happy New Year.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A cat Dec 30, 2015

What makes a good life?

The company of a cat.

[Edited at 2015-12-30 21:33 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Social life to your liking Dec 31, 2015

I understood that you should have so many friends or lovers as fits to you, so if you get stressed with people it is not a good idea to have too much of a social life. A cat or a dog is very good, if you need an object that is dependend on you.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:14
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What are the benefits? Jan 4, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

What makes a good life?

The company of a cat.

Does it pay well, what are the benefits?

PS: Perhaps you could have avoided such direct interpretation if you had used "a cat's company".

[Edited at 2016-01-04 14:04 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I should have said Jan 4, 2016

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

What makes a good life?

The company of a cat.

Does it pay well, what are the benefits?

PS: Perhaps you could have avoided such direct interpretation if you had used "a cat's company".

[Edited at 2016-01-04 14:04 GMT]

"companionship".

Le Chat

Viens, mon beau chat, sur mon coeur amoureux;
Retiens les griffes de ta patte,
Et laisse-moi plonger dans tes beaux yeux,
Mêlés de métal et d'agate.
Lorsque mes doigts caressent à loisir
Ta tête et ton dos élastique,
Et que ma main s'enivre du plaisir
De palper ton corps électrique,
Je vois ma femme en esprit. Son regard,
Comme le tien, aimable bête
Profond et froid, coupe et fend comme un dard,
Et, des pieds jusques à la tête,
Un air subtil, un dangereux parfum
Nagent autour de son corps brun.

— Charles Baudelaire

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Camila Gómez Zamo
Camila Gómez Zamo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:44
Member (2020)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very interesting Jan 4, 2016

I think this study only confirms something that we already know. Haven't you ever advised a friend to try to get away from a toxic relationship or to try to get along with someone? Although now we can get the numbers. I believe it is very intersting as regards the fact that the study lasted for so long. However, I find it very confusing (and a little bit offensive) that the subjects of the study were all men. I don't mean to open up a debate about feminism, but they never explained why they didn... See more
I think this study only confirms something that we already know. Haven't you ever advised a friend to try to get away from a toxic relationship or to try to get along with someone? Although now we can get the numbers. I believe it is very intersting as regards the fact that the study lasted for so long. However, I find it very confusing (and a little bit offensive) that the subjects of the study were all men. I don't mean to open up a debate about feminism, but they never explained why they didn't study women. Probably what makes us, women, have a good and healthy life is something different than men, and we don't know!
Anyway, I wish you all a good and healthy life, and a happy year!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What makes a good life?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »