Standing/treadmill desks
Thread poster: Hazel Underwood
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 10:30
Japanese to English
I want one too Aug 15, 2015

I've been planning to get a varidesk or something similar because my posture is terrible from sitting all the time. But $489 for such a simple desk? (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022530/) I'm pretty sure I could get a local carpenter to make a stand for my regular desk for a tenth of the price.

Come to think of it, I could just stack 10 Encyclopedia Bri
... See more
I've been planning to get a varidesk or something similar because my posture is terrible from sitting all the time. But $489 for such a simple desk? (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022530/) I'm pretty sure I could get a local carpenter to make a stand for my regular desk for a tenth of the price.

Come to think of it, I could just stack 10 Encyclopedia Britannicas on my desk to get the same effect...

And £60 for a standing mat? Hmmm...

EDIT: Ta-daaa!
http://www.japan-translate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/homemade-standing-desk1.jpg
Apologies for the poor picture quality.

Verdict after standing for 10 minutes: I wanna sit down! Also I'm feeling a bit woozy already. I think I need a standing mat after all. I'll try my homemade "desk" for a month or two and see if it helps any, then I'll spring for a 500-dollar varidesk.

[Edited at 2015-08-15 11:51 GMT]
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:30
French to English
+ ...
Useful to know but ... Aug 15, 2015

Nikki Graham wrote:

According to lots of studies, an hour or two of exercise in the gym or walking/running in the park, whilst obviously good for you, is not enough to counter the negative impact sitting all day has on the body.

I wish now that I'd bought a treadmill rather than an elliptical trainer, which is impossible to work on. However, I take the dog for a walk twice a day and, if I bought a treadmill, I might get tempted to put him on the treadmill instead, especially when it's raining. That could cause major problems, especially if the treadmill were in my office, because he only poos when he goes for a walk.

Whitney Maslak
Whitney Maslak
United States
Local time: 04:30
German to English
Exercise is good for the brain, too Aug 17, 2015

I remember when I was in school I read a study about how your memory and overall cognitive function is much stronger while you exercise. I had huge amounts of reading to do at the time, so as kind of an experiment I decided to do all of my reading while walking/running on a treadmill. The difference was amazing to me. So, not only would you be physically healthier, you might even do a better job at translating if you had a treadmill desk. I'm kind of intrigued by the idea now, but I'm not sure i... See more
I remember when I was in school I read a study about how your memory and overall cognitive function is much stronger while you exercise. I had huge amounts of reading to do at the time, so as kind of an experiment I decided to do all of my reading while walking/running on a treadmill. The difference was amazing to me. So, not only would you be physically healthier, you might even do a better job at translating if you had a treadmill desk. I'm kind of intrigued by the idea now, but I'm not sure if I could type while walking...Collapse

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:30
German to English
+ ...
Totally agree Tom Aug 17, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Hazel Underwood wrote:

.... to avoid sitting down all day.

Just take daily exercise outside. It'll do you the world of good and get you away from translating for a while, refresh your mind, etc. etc.

Google an MRI scan of the brain after a 20-minute walk outside - it's lit up like Times Square. I'm sure this doesn't apply if you're on a treadmill surrounded by the same old four walls. That's more like turning yourself into a hamster on a wheel in a cage IMHO.

Thanks to wifi, we can work from pretty much ANYWHERE we want (network coverage permitting!) so why think of new ways to confine yourself to one room when there's a whole world out there?

Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:30
French to German
+ ...
Exercise ball? Aug 17, 2015

I`ve read that sitting too long on an exercise ball is not good either, but this mixture between ball and chair looks interesting:

http://shop.neues-sitzen.de/buerostuhl/ballstuhl?gclid=CLTX_M_ir8cCFaXVcgodnwsMbw

Has anyone tried such a ball-chair?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Standing/treadmill desks

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »