Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Install a clicker? Feb 1, 2015

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:
Changing to any specific ergonomic type of a keyboard?

Some mechanical keyboards come with a special feature that produces a deliberate audible click when you press a key in far enough. The theory is that you normally press keys in too deeply, and that giving you a click sound as soon as the key press is recognised by the computer, you will learn to press less hard on the keys. You can buy a special keyboard for that, or you can install a program that does that for you, e.g.:

https://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm

Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
easy and effective treatment of RSI and tense muscles Feb 1, 2015

Plagued by RSI-like muscle pain and tension in various body parts, including mouse arm, all my life and finding no satisfaction from the medical industry, I recently turned again to Dr Google and stumbled across magnesium deficiency, which certainly applied to my set of symptoms.

A lack of magnesium in the body prevents muscle fibres from relaxing properly, amongst other things. Calcium is required for contracting and Mg is required for relaxing. So simple! There are many other symp
... See more
Plagued by RSI-like muscle pain and tension in various body parts, including mouse arm, all my life and finding no satisfaction from the medical industry, I recently turned again to Dr Google and stumbled across magnesium deficiency, which certainly applied to my set of symptoms.

A lack of magnesium in the body prevents muscle fibres from relaxing properly, amongst other things. Calcium is required for contracting and Mg is required for relaxing. So simple! There are many other symptoms of Mg deficiency and it seems that most people are deficient because it's no longer so prevalent in our food. The major cause is the introduction in the 1950s of artificial fertilisers, which do not contain Mg (nor other essential minerals and trace elements). This has lead to mineral depleted soils. Many soils are gradually being depleted in any case due to centuries of use and/or mismanagement, such as growing monocultures.

So what to do?
Try taking Mg supplements daily: I take daily supplements of Magnesium Citrate, others are said to be better but are unavailable here in France. Application to the skin (transdermal) by taking baths or foot baths with magnesium sulphate (MgSO4; Epsom Salts) is really very relaxing for muscles all over. Treating the affected part with a MgSO4 solution impregnated facecloth is quick and soothing. Just leave it there for 30 minutes and keep it warm with a water bottle. For people with digestion or malabsorption issues, transdermal application is more effective than taking supplements. It is a cheap and easy treatment with other benefits too, but may not work for everyone with RSI.

Magnesium Oil (concentrated solution of Magnesium chloride in water) is also effective transdermally, but should be rinsed off after 20 minutes as it can be irritating to the skin.

This article provides a good overview and there are plenty more websites on magnesium treatments:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/08/magnesium-health-benefits.aspx

Naturally it's better to prevent RSI in the first place, but a Mg deficiency would make some more likely to develop the problem despite taking precautions.

[Edited at 2015-02-01 20:57 GMT]
Collapse

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:41
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Magnesium Feb 1, 2015

Thank you, Jennifer. This is very interesting especially as my problem is (so far) quite localised so a transdermal application may turn out quite effective.

Best regards
Mariusz

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RSI risk for translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »