Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:36
French to English
been there, done that May 3, 2014

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I have a high-speed dot-matrix printer stashed away too, in mint condition, in spite of the hard work it did in its days. If inkjet printer manufacturers eventually escalate to selling 1 milliliter non-rechargeable ink cartridges for USD 500 apiece (it's their dream!), I might recommission the DMP. Each ribbon cartridge for it costs USD 5.

I had to find out the hard way that a color printer (any here in the US I believe) using a color cartridge and a black-and-white cartridge will drain both cartridges even if you only make black-and-white print-outs - and yes the printer was set to just print in black-and-white, "draft" format.

The color cartridge is drained even faster than the black-and-white one, no matter if you print color (well, of course, you say) or black-and-white (huh?!)

My moment of Zen came when I was out of color (empty color cartridge) and I installed a black-and-white cartridge only in hopes of just needing that one to continue printing black-and white. That of course was a no-go. The printer told me in no unclear language that I had to first install a new color cartridge to continue printing.

I said to the printer: you $#@67@# piece of @W#&4227$@## .. well something like that and haven't used it since. I wasn't a happy camper and it wasn't a good thing for my blood pressure. And the feeling that you got duped for quite a while is what really gets me. I get wiser every month about the ways of the world even though I thought I knew everything when I was 25.

I get print-outs at the printing store - I hardly ever need them but will buy myself a black-and-white printer only to be able to review printed pages - sometimes that's a good thing to do as most of you will agree. But I will be asking many questions before I decide what printer to buy - and it can't be a "cartridge eater."

Why did I have a color printer in the first place? Well, I wanted my daughter to be able to print out colored stuff. Within a few months, the color quality had deteriorated - she had nothing to do with it - although we never printed much anyway and kept buying these expensive cartridges .... and to figure out how to fix the quality besides calibrating and cleaning the printer heads as instructed (which didn't improve anything) was just too much.

B

[Edited at 2014-05-02 15:04 GMT]

I've been there and done that, I could practically have written that.
I even wanted the colour for my daughter just like you. The only point we don't have in common is that I now go to my daughter for a printout since she has her own printer now.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
printer help May 5, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

I've been there and done that, I could practically have written that.
I even wanted the colour for my daughter just like you. The only point we don't have in common is that I now go to my daughter for a printout since she has her own printer now.

Thanks for sharing, Texte Style. Good idea

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical problems might not be good for your health

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »