Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wasted time Mar 24, 2017

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I never feel drowsy and I never need a nap unless I'm sick. If I force myself to have one, I just stay awake worrying about all the time I'm wasting. What I do need is a mid-afternoon cup of coffee plus a snack.

Wasted time is one of the highest human pursuits: "cum dignitate otium" (Cicero); " I think that there is far too much work done in the world, that immense harm is caused by the belief that work is virtuous" (Bertrand Russell: "In Praise of Idleness")

http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html

[Edited at 2017-03-24 11:01 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Siesta ... Mar 24, 2017

... no more than 30 minutes - 45 minutes max. Does wonders for the metabolism. I start feeling drowsy by dessert.

Here there's a debate about the working day, where places might shut from 2 to maybe 5 (though that's on the wane now), and then go on to 8 or 9, which means dinner and everything else happen a lot later, and nobody gets to bed at the proper time. If you want to watch a film after dinner, what with ads and the rest, you're talking about hitting the sack at 1.30/2.00. No
... See more
... no more than 30 minutes - 45 minutes max. Does wonders for the metabolism. I start feeling drowsy by dessert.

Here there's a debate about the working day, where places might shut from 2 to maybe 5 (though that's on the wane now), and then go on to 8 or 9, which means dinner and everything else happen a lot later, and nobody gets to bed at the proper time. If you want to watch a film after dinner, what with ads and the rest, you're talking about hitting the sack at 1.30/2.00. Not much rest if you want to help kickstart a damaged economy.

A lot of people take a siesta, originally because it was too hot at that time of day to work (but there are countries hotter than Spain where nobody takes siestas). The Deputy PM wants to cut out the 2 or 3 hours for lunch here, and she's got a point. Maybe they should put beds in offices for in-house siestas. No, on second thoughts that's not such a good idea.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded! Mar 24, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
Siesta... no more than 30 minutes - 45 minutes max. Does wonders for the metabolism. I start feeling drowsy by dessert.

When I am really tired by a big project with long working hours, the thing that works for me is to rest for 30-45 minutes after lunch. I am dead tired when I close my eyes, but when I wake up I am at full speed in 5 minutes.

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:47
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Exercise beats napping for me Mar 24, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

A 20 minute walk after lunch will not only help fight drowsiness but is healthy as well.

Edit: I only read the article after posting this, and sure enough that's what they're recommending as well. A bit of exercise works wonders.

[Edited at 2013-01-14 19:14 GMT]

This is what I do as well. I've tried napping, but I don't seem to be energized by naps no matter how long or short they are; I just end up feeling more tired and wanting to sleep more.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Siestecita" here Mar 24, 2017

Two things help me going (in that order):

1. A "batido" (shake) with some seeds and fruit in it, no sugar and tons of "canela molida" (cinnamon powder).

2. 10 - 15 minute naps rather than 30 - 45 minute one, but performed more frequently, not just after lunch.

A 6 hour night sleep (8 hour being better, but not more that that, not even during weekends) is a sine qua non. Otherwise, it gets tough to concentrate.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to avoid being sleepy after lunch?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »