Medical Translation: Getting Started - Skills, Experience, Qualifications?
Thread poster: Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:24
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2020

I often get asked 'How did you get started as a medical translator.' And I tell them my own story. My question for you colleagues is, what would you recommend to someone wanting to be a medical translator? Please mention things like what sorts of training/experience/education you consider necessary, as well as how and where to search for jobs in this field. Maybe also how you yourself got into the field. Thanks very much for your input.

[Edited at 2020-10-10 00:56 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My experience Oct 10, 2020

Some 20 years ago, I was contacted by a medical doctor asking me if I was interested in translating EN-PT a medical handbook on obstetrics in collaboration with her. After much negotiation with her and with the publisher we signed a contract. The job took about a year to complete with much back and forth, but was delivered within the deadline. At the time, I thought “never again” as it meant working hard during a whole year to complete the job and to keep my other customers happy; but then (... See more
Some 20 years ago, I was contacted by a medical doctor asking me if I was interested in translating EN-PT a medical handbook on obstetrics in collaboration with her. After much negotiation with her and with the publisher we signed a contract. The job took about a year to complete with much back and forth, but was delivered within the deadline. At the time, I thought “never again” as it meant working hard during a whole year to complete the job and to keep my other customers happy; but then (as it often happens in our profession) a global healthcare company focused on innovative therapies got in touch with me for the translation EN-PT and FR-PT of medical devices and certifications. We worked together for 10 years until suddenly they considered my rates too high and we part ways. Since then, I have been translating some medical stuff on Major depressive disorder and ATTR amyloidosis. As I have no medical training all my work is edited by a medical doctor.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical Translation: Getting Started - Skills, Experience, Qualifications?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »