Do you translate in cafes?
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 17:29
VPN Mar 23, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I thought everyone knew that it's extremely risky to use the wifi in public spaces like cafés.

You should always use a VPN service on foreign WIFI networks. Like PureVPN, TunnelBear etc.

Install once, never bother again.

[Edited at 2016-03-23 16:22 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Out of necessity Mar 24, 2016

I do if I have to. Never feels comfortable to me:

- Noise
- Cannot drag my 25" screen around (particularly important for editing jobs)
- Cannot drag five dictionaries around
- Pay more for "lesser" food
- Mostly stupid music (I need no music at all, when I'm working)
- Concerned for data security
- And now concerned for my own safety too

Bunch of reasons, aren't they?

Hannah Keet
Hannah Keet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:29
German to English
+ ...
I prefer coworking spaces Mar 24, 2016

I've tried working in cafés but found I struggled with noise levels and the practicalities (what happens when you need the toilet or want another drink? Do you leave your stuff there? Pack up and take your things with you?). I also felt I outstayed my welcome after a couple of hours. And I'm clumsy, so I would constantly worry about tipping my drink over my laptop.

I find it much easier and nicer working in a coworking space. The one I use is great value for money, there's only ev
... See more
I've tried working in cafés but found I struggled with noise levels and the practicalities (what happens when you need the toilet or want another drink? Do you leave your stuff there? Pack up and take your things with you?). I also felt I outstayed my welcome after a couple of hours. And I'm clumsy, so I would constantly worry about tipping my drink over my laptop.

I find it much easier and nicer working in a coworking space. The one I use is great value for money, there's only ever a couple of other people working there, the WiFi connection is great and tea/coffee/water is included in the price. What's not to like?
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
No greasy spooner? Mar 25, 2016

> I'd love to hear what exact cafe-oriented features CafeTran has!
Why, perhaps it could locate a nearest best rated café with prospect clients and generous colleagues; automatically update social networks status as 'Enjoying translation via iMac and iPad at Caff's!'; remind one to make tea/coffee breaks and when to bite off snacks and go to WC; snapshot bills via a webcam to estimate how much time and money for such drinks and snacks one would have to spend considering the rate of
... See more
> I'd love to hear what exact cafe-oriented features CafeTran has!
Why, perhaps it could locate a nearest best rated café with prospect clients and generous colleagues; automatically update social networks status as 'Enjoying translation via iMac and iPad at Caff's!'; remind one to make tea/coffee breaks and when to bite off snacks and go to WC; snapshot bills via a webcam to estimate how much time and money for such drinks and snacks one would have to spend considering the rate of progress; and make weird noise to attract funny customers)

Hannah, some people seem to assume that having an iPhone, iPad, let alone iMac automatically implies one is absolutely satisfied, safe and secure whatever--no need to worry about secular needs and wants; cannot get why they do work and eat as John Doe)

Not sure about other countries, but in Ukraine I wouldn't risk not only my projects, clients, time, money and possessions, but also my reputation, because there're rather specific "working" visitors pretending to be 'businessmen' and 'businesslike' in cafés.

Perhaps, different countries, different places, different customs, different people, different possibilities.
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Using public networks Mar 26, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
I thought everyone knew that it's extremely risky to use the wifi in public spaces like cafés.

Hi Tom -

It actually *shouldn't* be in an ideal world.

Ideally, the security of your system shouldn't be reliant on what specific network you're connected to. Instead, you should concentrate primarily on configuring your computer so that it is secure whatever network it happens to be connected to!

Neil

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Agree, use a VPN Mar 27, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

You should always use a VPN service on foreign WIFI networks. Like PureVPN, TunnelBear etc.

Install once, never bother again.

[Edited at 2016-03-23 16:22 GMT]

Absolutely. I don't often go to cafes but even if it's not a regular thing, it's nice to have as a back-up plan in case my internet cuts out at a crucial time or someone nearby is doing hardcore construction work or whatever.

My antivirus (Avast) has an extra add-on VPN function and I simply connect to that when I'm using public WiFi.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you translate in cafes?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »