Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Co-working spaces Mar 21, 2016

Michal Chmielewski wrote:

I agree with you that the home office can be quite emotionally draining. After I had got really enough of the loneliness of my home office I started to work not at cafes but in public libraries. But the best solution for people who are sick off the home office is a coworking space. For a small amount of money you work together with another people that is really motivating and increases your work efficiency.

Regards

Mike

I worked in cafés for years, but there are a lot of inconveniences associated with them, including finding a place to sit, accessing an outlet, noise (incredible how many people think it okay to watch videos on their devices in a public place without using headphones) and restricted hours. Plus, I came to just feel uncomfortable about sitting for hours and hours working in a public place (a bit like a working vagrant).

So I also adopted the solution of a shared workplace. While in my case this was not exactly a cheap option, it also was not terribly expensive, and it provided an environment that offered the advantages of a café (such places generally offer complementary coffee and tea) without its aforementioned disadvantages.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
You're absolutely right. Mar 21, 2016

Michal Chmielewski wrote:

But the best solution for people who are sick off the home office is a coworking space. For a small amount of money you work together with another people that is really motivating and increases your work efficiency.

The first picture was taken in Co-working Cafe, Chiang Mai.... 400 metres from my house

Chiang Mai is now full of these places, as the hoards of 'digital nomads' have descended upon my favourite city.

To an extent, it's very possible to be a digital nomad translator.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:32
English to Polish
+ ...
... Mar 21, 2016

I might, if I had a somewhat creative text to translate and not too long. Possibly without using a computer to translate at all.

[Edited at 2016-03-21 15:04 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:32
Chinese to English
Jealous of the digital nomad life Mar 21, 2016

China isn't quite encouraging or forgiving enough of it, though I was close for quite a while. I had a lovely cafe at the last place I was living, with a massive plate glass window in front of a breakfast bar high table. It never had anyone in - they made their money sending takeouts to the nearby office block at lunchtime - so it was an awesome place to spend the day.

These days, I'm trapped in an office. It's a nice office, as they go, but still very much an office. Sigh.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:32
German to Turkish
+ ...
Definitely! Mar 21, 2016

I can concentrate much better and as long as I use my own hotspot, I don't have connection or security issues.

I am avoiding cafes for the moment due to recent attacks but I hope to be able to work outside my home again.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:02
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Never Mar 22, 2016

Translation is serious business for me. And I am practically disfunctional outside my office room in my flat. My desktop is set up with various apps and applications required for translation and loaded with online dictionaries and other accessories of translation. I also refer to dinosaur-era paper tomes. I have a nice office room with a wonderful view outside. I live in a 25 floor tower in Mumbai and my room looks out into the society's garden, swimming pool, and play area. I can see (and often... See more
Translation is serious business for me. And I am practically disfunctional outside my office room in my flat. My desktop is set up with various apps and applications required for translation and loaded with online dictionaries and other accessories of translation. I also refer to dinosaur-era paper tomes. I have a nice office room with a wonderful view outside. I live in a 25 floor tower in Mumbai and my room looks out into the society's garden, swimming pool, and play area. I can see (and often hear) my daughter playing with her friends below (I am on the second floor). If I feel the craving for a cup of coffee, I can always order my wife to prepare one, or if she refuses, can always walk into my kitchen and prepare one for myself. I like my coffee to be made in the south Indian style (people who have travelled to India, especially the southern parts, will know what I mean - I am referring to the filter kappi). I am yet to locate a cafe in Mumbai that can serve coffee to my exacting standards.

Besides, Mumbai is a very crowded, buzzling, noisy city and we don't have any cafe or such things here which are peaceful enough for serious cerebral work like translation. And travelling in Mumbai is a nightmare - through any mode of transport - autorikshaw, metro, local train, taxi, bus, or mono-rail. Not only are they unbelievably crowded, but the distances are so great that it can take hours to reach any where, and given the sultry climate of Mumbai during most parts of the year, you will reach your destination extremely tired and drained of all energy. It would be really funny to even imagine anyone trying to travel on the crowded Mumbai locals at peak traffic times such as in the morning, lugging along expensive and bulky electronic gear like laptops, ipad, and internet connection gadgets. You would most likely end up relieved of most of these items by the expert pickpockets who ply these trains by the time you reach your cafe haven.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Liveability Mar 22, 2016

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Besides, Mumbai is a very crowded, buzzling, noisy city and we don't have any cafe or such things here which are peaceful enough for serious cerebral work like translation. And travelling in Mumbai is a nightmare - through any mode of transport - autorikshaw, metro, local train, taxi, bus, or mono-rail. Not only are they unbelievably crowded, but the distances are so great that it can take hours to reach any where, and given the sultry climate of Mumbai during most parts of the year, you will reach your destination extremely tired and drained of all energy. It would be really funny to even imagine anyone trying to travel on the crowded Mumbai locals at peak traffic times such as in the morning, lugging along expensive and bulky electronic gear like laptops, ipad, and internet connection gadgets. You would most likely end up relieved of most of these items by the expert pickpockets who ply these trains by the time you reach your cafe haven.

And that, my friend, is why they say Mumbai is one of the world's worst cities to live in! I do not envy you! It truly sounds intolerable.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/current-affairs/melbourne-worlds-most-liveable-city-mumbai-among-worst_581535.html

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Portability Mar 22, 2016

lugging along expensive and bulky electronic gear like laptops, ipad

The MacBook and iPad mini are actually quite light. The applications on my laptop mirror the ones on my iMac. I save everything on the cloud, so I can save a file on one system and continue working on the other, seamlessly. It's all very reliable and convenient!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 18:32
Made for cafes Mar 22, 2016

I'm using a CAT tool that according to its developer has been designed with the cafe worker in mind. Hence its name. And as a matter of fact it's very well suited for working on a small screen, e.g. in a cafe.

Nevertheless, I prefer to work with two 27" screens in my beautiful office, with nice people around me, always willig to chat or leave me at work when I close the door.

I can imagine the cafe workplace for reviewing*) tasks, especially while using a browser-based
... See more
I'm using a CAT tool that according to its developer has been designed with the cafe worker in mind. Hence its name. And as a matter of fact it's very well suited for working on a small screen, e.g. in a cafe.

Nevertheless, I prefer to work with two 27" screens in my beautiful office, with nice people around me, always willig to chat or leave me at work when I close the door.

I can imagine the cafe workplace for reviewing*) tasks, especially while using a browser-based CAT tool and holding a nice tablet like the new iPad Pro 9.7".

Okay, I admit. I'm just looking for an excuse to buy one. I'd love to play with the pencil.

*) It's always good to go out and look for a different environment, for a different task. Translate in the office, review at the cafe terrace or in the sunny garden, for instance.

[Edited at 2016-03-22 07:57 GMT]
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
What exactly? Mar 22, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

I'm using a CAT tool that according to its developer has been designed with the cafe worker in mind. Hence its name.

I'd love to hear what exact cafe-oriented features CafeTran has!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:32
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree with Balasubramian Mar 22, 2016

I feel exactly the same as Bala. I can't think of much worse than trying to translate in the noisy, cramped and distracting atmosphere of a café and my office is comfortable and quiet and has a charming view over the town's sub-tropical gardens and the harbour at Newlyn. Why would I want to work anywhere else? I enjoy going to a nearby café which serves an excellent mocha coffee occasionally to meet a friend as a break from work but I wouldn't want to try to combine the two activities.

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Local time: 11:32
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Can't concentrate very well Mar 22, 2016

I don't go out much to translate. But I could! We have a couple of cafes, a bar, a food co-op, and two libraries in walking distance where I could easily sit and work and not feel that I was imposing on anyone. I have on occasion done that for practical reasons, but I need quiet. Luckily, in my backyard, I have a pottery studio that is all mine, high up on a hill with a beautiful view of the valley (my studio/translating space is on the second floor). It's my escape. But sometimes I work in comf... See more
I don't go out much to translate. But I could! We have a couple of cafes, a bar, a food co-op, and two libraries in walking distance where I could easily sit and work and not feel that I was imposing on anyone. I have on occasion done that for practical reasons, but I need quiet. Luckily, in my backyard, I have a pottery studio that is all mine, high up on a hill with a beautiful view of the valley (my studio/translating space is on the second floor). It's my escape. But sometimes I work in comfy spots around the house too. And in the spring, before it gets too hot and the insects come out, I work outside.

And when I need company, I have, like I said, those bars and cafes in walking distance.... And my family and many pets in the house.

Love, love, love my location!
Collapse

Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Like this one Mar 23, 2016

Especially when it is an outdoor/garden cafe overlooking the beautiful Mediterranean Sea, washed by the sun and a blue sky, with the sound of waves, like one of those : Antalya (Turkey)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd786vu-zr0

or

http://bit.ly/1pIYLqB

... See more
Especially when it is an outdoor/garden cafe overlooking the beautiful Mediterranean Sea, washed by the sun and a blue sky, with the sound of waves, like one of those : Antalya (Turkey)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd786vu-zr0

or

http://bit.ly/1pIYLqB

[Edited at 2016-03-23 23:15 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree with Tomás Mar 23, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I've never really tried to do more than a quick read-through as I don't think I could comcentrate 100% in a café. Here, there are always at least 2-3 languages being spoken within earshot and I'd find it difficult to tune them all out.

I have had to resort to sending work from cafés a couple of times when I've had connection problems at the office. But first, I've always got the client's authorisation to do so as the security angle worroes me. I'm not very IT-savvy though so perhaps I'm worrying needlessly. Having said that, there's one bar whose Wi-Fi I always use for non-work stuff on my phone and Avast aways warns me about it being "potentially dangerous".

I thought everyone knew that it's extremely risky to use the wifi in public spaces like cafés.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Mar 23, 2016

....I am yet to locate a cafe in Mumbai that can serve coffee to my exacting standards.

Same here in London, where there are thousands of outlets all making bad or stupid coffee. I make my own.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you translate in cafes?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »