Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:42
German to English
+ ...
Proz Feedback Area Feb 16, 2016

Thomas Pfann wrote:

I think the ProZ translation feedback area is exactly what Basma was looking for. The scope of this area is explained here:

The scope of this area is to discuss short translation texts, as a means of improving, getting opinions from colleagues, and having fun. ...

How about that. I never even knew that Proz area existed. In any case, it clearly says it's for paying members - so not exactly free then and aimed at people who are already translators.

"This is a ProZ.com (paying) member-only feature."

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
IMpossible Feb 16, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

That's good, he can then go there and have all his errors identified, hear suggestions, get guidance, and then having his corrected translation reread. Let's see if that happens.

At first I thought that was what I would do until I realised it would take me ALL DAY and I would need to ask for clarification of various points.

Sorry to rain on your parade, Basma - but if you want to be a translator you have a long way to go.

[Edited at 2016-02-16 15:40 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Presumably ideal for those starting out Feb 16, 2016

Woodstock wrote:
it clearly says it's for paying members - so not exactly free

The OP didn't actually say it had to be free, but that is something I'd overlooked, Woodstock. Paying members do sometimes forget what registered users have and don't have access to. But then if someone is seriously looking to work in this business AND needs the feedback, the outlay isn't a massive one.

Tom in London wrote:
I realised it would take me ALL DAY

I know what you mean, Tom. But I evaluate samples for TWB and the really good ones don't take me more than 10 minutes or so: read each segment (aka sentence, Tom); tick OK; choose "Yes" as the overall recommendation, and it's done. The truly awful ones don't take too long, either: rip the first couple of segments to shreds, giving multiple reasons; mark as "No way", and exit without looking at the rest. It's the in-between ones that take the time. In the case of the feedback forum here, I'm sure you could comment on a few sample terms or sentences and leave others to make other comments.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:42
German to English
+ ...
Feedback Forum Feb 16, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Woodstock wrote:
it clearly says it's for paying members - so not exactly free

The OP didn't actually say it had to be free, but that is something I'd overlooked, Woodstock. Paying members do sometimes forget what registered users have and don't have access to. But then if someone is seriously looking to work in this business AND needs the feedback, the outlay isn't a massive one.

Tom in London wrote:
I realised it would take me ALL DAY

I know what you mean, Tom. ... In the case of the feedback forum here, I'm sure you could comment on a few sample terms or sentences and leave others to make other comments.

Hi, Sheila - yes, I know, the OP didn't specifically say "free", but good for you for figuring out what s/he wanted in the first place. Someone that unaware of their own language ability has no business on a professional site, in my opinion, which is why I suggested s/he go elsewhere for expert advice on what being a translator even MEANS and what is expected.

Regarding your note to Tom - he has actually commented in the Feedback Area. While glancing at it (for the first time) I came across a critique he did of someone's Goethe translation. That is the level of expertise that the Proz Feedback Area is for, not for people who have 20+ spelling and grammar errors in one run-on sentence. If someone approached me to proofread a text of that quality, I would say "hell no!" You are obviously more forgiving and kinder than I am...so be it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need feedback sites for my translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »