Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm flabbergasted; he's delighted. Jun 1, 2016

Paul Cohen wrote:

It's been a hectic summer, so I unfortunately missed this uproarious thread until today.

Count me among the wet blankets.

We certainly don't have to all see eye-to-eye on everything on this site. In fact, we would have incredibly boring discussions and debates if we all agreed on everything. However, I would hope that we could all at least agree that a person who does not possess a native level of ability in a foreign language* should not be translating into that language as a paid professional. Period.

*Exceptions being of course extremely rare language combinations such as Inuktitut>Swahili, where it is virtually impossible to find a highly qualified translator.

I find it particularly revealing that the founder of this site has been at the forefront in congratulating Juliano on his initial successes. I'm flabbergasted; he's delighted.

I would also advise Juliano to stick to translating into his mother tongue.

And, as others have pointed out, please keep in mind that this forum is public and everyone in the world with access to a computer can read it. Sure, it's informal. But it's also written in stone, so to speak. Our words -- including the chutzpah of an exuberant newbie who appears to have gotten a lucky break -- will be floating in cyberspace for years to come.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner’s luck ???

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »