Thread poster: LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:44
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2016

Hi. I really need help. Pages on my computer keep returning to page one, or home page, or just some other page, and at times all I wrote is getting erased. Any solutions, or suggestions. I installed another antivirus, but it still happens sometimes. Any help will be appreciated.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Pages, on a Mac? Mar 26, 2016

LilianNekipelov wrote:

Hi. I really need help. Pages on my computer keep returning to page one, or home page, or just some other page, and at times all I wrote is getting erased. Any solutions, or suggestions. I installed another antivirus, but it still happens sometimes. Any help will be appreciated.

Do you mean Pages on a Mac? I assume you don't, because you mentioned installing antivirus software, but not sure which program you mean.

The problem reminds me of what can happen if you have Dragon NaturallySpeaking switched on when working in MS Word, which can cause the cursor to jump up to the beginning of the document. The only solution there is to put the mic to sleep.

Michael

[Edited at 2016-03-26 09:18 GMT]

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Keyboard problem? Mar 26, 2016

It sounds like a faulty key or dirt in the keyboard.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:44
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
What do you call Mar 26, 2016

"Pages on my computer"?

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Start over Mar 26, 2016

Sometimes the best thing you can do is reformat the hard drive. This is what I do when my computer starts acting odd. Of course, you have to make sure any important files and programs are backed up, but starting fresh gets rid of a lot of issues that accumulate over time.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
OK, this is getting silly Mar 26, 2016

@LilianNekipelov: what are you talking about? What pages? What home page?

@Amel: reformatting your hard drive will have very little effect on your OS or programs, apart from defragmenting the drive perhaps. Assuming of course that you meant: make a backup of your C: drive, reformat the drive, and then restore from the image you created back to the same drive.

I think there are quite a few better things a person might consider doing should their computer start acting up
... See more
@LilianNekipelov: what are you talking about? What pages? What home page?

@Amel: reformatting your hard drive will have very little effect on your OS or programs, apart from defragmenting the drive perhaps. Assuming of course that you meant: make a backup of your C: drive, reformat the drive, and then restore from the image you created back to the same drive.

I think there are quite a few better things a person might consider doing should their computer start acting up.

1. anti-virus scans
2. malware scans
3. rootkit scans
4. CCleaner
5. registry cleaners
6. uninstall unused programs
7. disable unused services
8. delete unnecessary startup items
9. reorganise one's file system
etc.

Michael
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Stuck key... Mar 27, 2016

To me it looks like a defective keyboard. Try with a different one on the same computer.

If you are using a laptop, you might have to take it to customer service...! (In general I recommend to use a proper desktop instead of a laptop for professional work.)

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:44
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all. Mar 27, 2016

I think it was a virus. Believe it or not but they are capable of attacking even Mac. No dirt on my keyboard of any kind. Plus, sometimes it is perfect—it only happens sporadically for an hour or so. Maybe something with Java script, I am not sure. Whatever you type goes back to the beginning after a while. All erased. Maybe the browser—they may be working on improving the browser or something. I installed two anti-viruses and now it seems to be working fine.

[Edited at 2016-03-27 07:
... See more
I think it was a virus. Believe it or not but they are capable of attacking even Mac. No dirt on my keyboard of any kind. Plus, sometimes it is perfect—it only happens sporadically for an hour or so. Maybe something with Java script, I am not sure. Whatever you type goes back to the beginning after a while. All erased. Maybe the browser—they may be working on improving the browser or something. I installed two anti-viruses and now it seems to be working fine.

[Edited at 2016-03-27 07:48 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
OK, these are known issues Mar 27, 2016

LilianNekipelov wrote:

I think it was a virus. ...

I installed two anti-viruses and now it seems to be working fine.

The only program that runs perfectly every time, is a virus.
Two anti-viruses never work better than one (no additivity here).
Format C: fixes all, however.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good luck to you all Mar 28, 2016

You are going to need it

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pages going back to page one and writing erased

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »