Shortcut to paste unformatted text?
Thread poster: Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:13
French to English
Mar 22, 2016

In Word 2007, I need to create a shortcut so I can save time pasting bits of text from a website. I need to paste unformatted text, and the current way I do it is a waste of time (multiple menu clicks). Can anyone help?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
two options Mar 22, 2016

This tiny programs works system-wide: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/

Or, install TransTools (highly recommended for every translator!), which also contains a system-wide shortcut for pasting pure text: http://www.translatortools.net/word-about.html

Michael

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Copy and paste? Mar 22, 2016

Simply mark the text in the website then press Ctrl+c. Go to Word, place the cursor where you want to insert the text and press Ctrl+v.

Alternately in word you can customise the QAT (Quick Access Tool-bar) to add the paste button. It depends which browser you have whether you can customise that too for copying, but the keyboard method is by far the quickest.

Ben

Mikhail Zavidin
Mikhail Zavidin
Local time: 18:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Try the following macro Mar 22, 2016

Sub PasteRaw()
Selection.PasteAndFormat wdFormatPlainText
End Sub

Just choose any available shortcut to it.

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 11:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
macro for word Mar 22, 2016

If you just want to paste unformatted in Word, you can record a macro of yourself clicking the necessary menu commands...and then associate that with a shortcut key (I use Ctrl+Shift+V).

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
VBA Mar 22, 2016

Something like this?
Sub Macro1()
Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdFormatPlainText)
Beep
End Sub
Hopefully, you're aware of Alt+F11 and how to assign macros)

Cheers.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trans Tools! Mar 22, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Or, install TransTools (highly recommended for every translator!), which also contains a system-wide shortcut for pasting pure text: http://www.translatortools.net/word-about.html

Michael

Ah ha, I already have Trans Tools, didn't know it had that feature, will try it out asap - thanks!

Trans Tools sounds easier than doing a macro, but I'll try to follow macro instructions if needed.

Thanks to all!

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:13
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
1-line macro: Mar 22, 2016

Create a new macro and paste this line:

Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText

Assign CTRL+SHIFT+V

[Редактировалось 2016-03-22 19:41 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:13
English to Turkish
+ ...
there is no shortcut but Mar 22, 2016

In Word 2016 Alt+H+V+T is the longcut

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Five useful macros Mar 23, 2016

Here are some macros that have saved hours of my life. The last two are useful for Wordfast Classic users (which I believe you are). SETANTS turns on the marching ants for the current selection and CLEARANTS turns them off for the whole document. I have these assigned to custom toolbar buttons but you could also assign them to your preferred hot-key combination.

Sub PASTEUNFORMATTED()

End Sub... See more
Here are some macros that have saved hours of my life. The last two are useful for Wordfast Classic users (which I believe you are). SETANTS turns on the marching ants for the current selection and CLEARANTS turns them off for the whole document. I have these assigned to custom toolbar buttons but you could also assign them to your preferred hot-key combination.

Sub PASTEUNFORMATTED()

End Sub

Sub UPPER()

Selection.Range.Case = wdUpperCase

End Sub

Sub LOWER()

Selection.Range.Case = wdLowerCase

End Sub

Sub SETANTS()

Selection.Font.Animation = wdAnimationMarchingRedAnts

End Sub

Sub CLEARANTS()

Selection.WholeStory
Selection.Font.Animation = wdAnimationNone
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory

End Sub
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Basic shortcut? Mar 24, 2016

As nobody has suggested it, I feel like I will have to drag my foot out of my mouth after I post this here, but I have always simply used ALT+E+S. All you have to do is place the cursor in a formatting free spot. Now, if you need to insert unformatted text into formatted one, you will have to go with the macros. I have never been able to crack that nut though. But, as I tell my husband when he looks with pity at me as he fixes a chest of draws or changes a fan belt - I can speak three and half l... See more
As nobody has suggested it, I feel like I will have to drag my foot out of my mouth after I post this here, but I have always simply used ALT+E+S. All you have to do is place the cursor in a formatting free spot. Now, if you need to insert unformatted text into formatted one, you will have to go with the macros. I have never been able to crack that nut though. But, as I tell my husband when he looks with pity at me as he fixes a chest of draws or changes a fan belt - I can speak three and half languages, he cannot. Each to his own.

[Edited at 2016-04-04 15:39 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TransTools Mar 26, 2016

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Michael

Ah ha, I already have Trans Tools, didn't know it had that feature, will try it out asap - thanks!

Trans Tools sounds easier than doing a macro, but I'll try to follow macro instructions if needed.

Thanks to all!

I'd indeed suggest using TransTools, or the other little tool I suggested, as then you can paste sans formatting in any program, not just in Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shortcut to paste unformatted text?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »