Thread poster: sokolniki
sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 27, 2012

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can participate in games and fun discussions related to ProZ.com the site and its community. For example, translators can show their creativity in coming up with a ProZ.com logo, tagline, poem, comic or song.

A start-up translation agency in the US invited freelance interpreters to send applications on its website. Once I sent it, an email confirmation arrived stating at the end:

... "We will review your credentials and if your skillet matches our requirements we will contact you."

Seriously? I will not even try to be funny here and make jokes about frying pans and other kitchen utensils used for interpretation purposes. The author of the ad apparently clicked on the wrong term instead of "skills" during the spell check. But even grammar here is consistent with "skillet" instead of "skills".

However, aside from being hilarious, how SKILLED is the agency? Would you work for them?

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 10:19
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Skillset Mar 27, 2012

I think they wanted to use skillset.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/skillset

Note the anagram!

Valery Shapovalenko
Valery Shapovalenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Modem manual Mar 27, 2012

A translation agency NoName have just posted translation job of tens thousand words at a price USD0.002 - 0.025 ppw, due April 4, stating they want (I quote) "GOOD command of English" (End of Quote).

Seriously, I often read offers for cheap jobs posted by No-LWA agencies here. IMHO, these are scam and should be banned as they're quaking the market.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

My skillet is laughing its head off

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »