Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 22:29
SITE STAFF
The office penguin Mar 6, 2009

Hi Attila,

Attila Piróth wrote:

Hi Jared,
The dot is excellent, it looks a bit like a puffin. What is it exactly?
Attila

That is the La Plata office's mascot, a penguin that someone brought in and we began to take whenever someone traveled somewhere. Last I heard, it was up in Syracuse...

Jared

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:29
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Close-up picture, please Mar 6, 2009

Jared wrote:
That is the La Plata office's mascot, a penguin that someone brought in and we began to take whenever someone traveled somewhere. Last I heard, it was up in Syracuse...

Hi Jared,

Could you post a close-up portrait of the mascot, here, please? I think most of us would appreciate it. I would not mind seeing it on the ProZ.com team page, but perhaps it has a better place here, in the Off topic forum.

Any chance to meet the mascot in Macedonia? The organizers will certainly be delighted to put a stamp into its passport.

Attila

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
I'll see what I can find Mar 6, 2009

I'll see what I can do, Attila. Sending the penguin to Macedonia sounds good (we need to track down his exact current location first).

Before he makes it to the team page he will have to do more than just gallivant around the world, of course.

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Close-up Mar 6, 2009

Here's one where the penguin was visiting some friends at a bird refuge:

Sorry, have we just gone off-topic in the off topic forum?

Jared

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:29
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks for the photo Mar 6, 2009

Jared wrote:

Sorry, have we just gone off-topic in the off topic forum?

I think that this thread would have been poorer without this picture. And ProZ.com, too. Check out in a year's time, I predict that this is the starting point of a stellar career. Wanna bet?

For those who read this post months or years after March 2009: back in ancient times, the mascot did not appear either on the "ProZ.com team" page or any other prominent place of the site. Even its close friends in the La Plata office did not know its whereabouts. The regular monthly ProZ.com newsletter did not have a regular column about his recent trips simply because he did not travel. Imagine, folks, it was not yet common practice that whenever there is a conference or powwow within reach, the mascot is accompanied by a staff member there, to be taken into picture by translators from all corners of the world. Horribile dictu: it did not even have a name! There were no cartoons about it which would serve for ProZ.com's transcreation contest (which did not exist then, either). It was a completely different world, about which grandfathers tell their grandchildren incredible stories.

But this all changed on a cloudy Friday afternoon (morning, evening, night, Saturday dawn: not easy to put a precise time tag here, as the sun never sets on the ProZ.com community), which marked the start of one of the largest-scale grass-root movements on ProZ.com: to find a name to the mascot. The rest has been duly recorded by historians.

Attila

[Edited at 2009-03-06 14:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-06 14:12 GMT]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 21:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
I love it! Mar 9, 2009

Henk Peelen wrote:

Photobucket

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-02-14 11:04 GMT]

Hank, this is fabulous. It ought to be worth at least 4 of those ultra-valuable FotoZ!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

First "Be Creative with Proz" contest!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »