Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:45
English to French
+ ...
Feb 16, 2013

Hi everyone,
I work with Fluency which has helped me fine up to today. For some unexplained reason the yellow arrows that one can use to pinpoint to untranslated segments at the end of the worK, became grey and could not be activated. Hence I was left with five untranslated segments in that 20 000 words Excel file.

I have now the bilingual file in it Excel (not my best friend) in the hope that I can pinpoint the untranslated rascals. Is there a quick, intelligent way to get to
... See more
Hi everyone,
I work with Fluency which has helped me fine up to today. For some unexplained reason the yellow arrows that one can use to pinpoint to untranslated segments at the end of the worK, became grey and could not be activated. Hence I was left with five untranslated segments in that 20 000 words Excel file.

I have now the bilingual file in it Excel (not my best friend) in the hope that I can pinpoint the untranslated rascals. Is there a quick, intelligent way to get to them? I am not familiar with Excel but they must have shortcuts or anything else to pinpoint to blanks in one language.

I would really welcome your input!

Claudette

[Edited at 2013-02-16 18:51 GMT]
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Blue Arrows Feb 16, 2013

Hi Claudette,

Try the blue arrows, should reactivate the yellow arrows.

HTH,

Bernard

Hepburn
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No blue arrows Feb 16, 2013

By what I understood the blue arrows are only on Fluency 2013 and I am with 2011.
Is that all that can be done? Upgrade to 2013? And why should the usual yellow arrow, working very well should disappear ?

Anyway thanks indeed for your reply

Claudette

[Edited at 2013-02-16 19:11 GMT]

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Segment Feb 16, 2013

Hi again,

If some of your segments are not translated in Fluency 2011, an empty segment is displayed as , search for segment in Target View and you'll should be able to find which are not translated.

I don't know how complex your Excel file is, one simple solution is to use Find and enter nothing, finds all of the blank cells.

Selecting the target column, if A is your source column and B your target column, may also make your search easier, just click on th
... See more
Hi again,

If some of your segments are not translated in Fluency 2011, an empty segment is displayed as , search for segment in Target View and you'll should be able to find which are not translated.

I don't know how complex your Excel file is, one simple solution is to use Find and enter nothing, finds all of the blank cells.

Selecting the target column, if A is your source column and B your target column, may also make your search easier, just click on the header of column B to select it and then Crtl+F will only search column B.

Last tip if you want to fix your Fluency file, press Ctrl+Shift+J and enter the segment #.

[Edited at 2013-02-16 19:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-16 21:54 GMT]
Collapse

Hepburn
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't know how complex your Excel file is, one simple solution is to use Find and enter nothing, f Feb 17, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi again,

Selecting the target column, if A is your source column and B your target column, may also make your search easier, just click on the header of column B to select it and then Crtl+F will only search column B.

Last tip if you want to fix your Fluency file, press Ctrl+Shift+J and enter the segment #.

[Edited at 2013-02-16 19:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-16 21:54 GMT]

Thank you so much for your help. I went on translating all afternoon and only now did I try your "tricks" or rather: tips!

the simple solution was exactly that: simple and the solution.
It turned out that these segments were only half translated because there were measures in inches and feet etc. And I only used the measures in cms, after erasing the inches and feet.
I will know not to worry now and just accept it.

Many thanks and have a nice Sunday ! It is early here in Mexico where I am for three months!
Claudette

[Edited at 2013-02-17 01:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-17 01:13 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Untranslated segments on bilingual Excel file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »