Korean Index in Framemaker
Thread poster: alainabran
alainabran
alainabran
Local time: 10:31
Spanish to English
Mar 23, 2017

Hello all,

In Framemaker, translating from EN to Korean, we are testing the auto generation of indexes. In our test file, when we generate the index of the Korean sample translation file, all entries that start with Korean characters are being listed under the letter "z". We're checking with translation resources on how "alphabetization" (or characterization maybe?) works in translation. Would anyone be able to offer any solutions for the generation of indexes into character languag
... See more
Hello all,

In Framemaker, translating from EN to Korean, we are testing the auto generation of indexes. In our test file, when we generate the index of the Korean sample translation file, all entries that start with Korean characters are being listed under the letter "z". We're checking with translation resources on how "alphabetization" (or characterization maybe?) works in translation. Would anyone be able to offer any solutions for the generation of indexes into character languages?

Thank you,
Alaina
Collapse

alainabran
alainabran
Local time: 10:31
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Information on Korean alphabetization (by syllable) Mar 23, 2017

A Korean resource has let me know that the Korean alphabetical order is decided by syllables.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul_consonant_and_vowel_tables

Are there any options in Framemaker that allow for sorting of the index per Korean syllable conventions?

Thank you!

Franz Bissinger
Franz Bissinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:31
Framemaker: Koren Index Mar 28, 2017

Hi Alaina,

Unfortunately, I can't provide the direkt solution since I can't recall the details, however, for languages such as Korean you need to perform three steps for creating a well sorted index (plus one further step for font support - check the term "Combined Fonts"):

- As Korean sort order is based on phonetic rules you need to extend all the index entries in the same way than e.g. for Japanese by adding the phonetic expression in square brackets:
index_en
... See more
Hi Alaina,

Unfortunately, I can't provide the direkt solution since I can't recall the details, however, for languages such as Korean you need to perform three steps for creating a well sorted index (plus one further step for font support - check the term "Combined Fonts"):

- As Korean sort order is based on phonetic rules you need to extend all the index entries in the same way than e.g. for Japanese by adding the phonetic expression in square brackets:
index_entry[phonectic_expression]

- You need to add the statement to SortOrderIX paragraph in the index chapter's reference page, such as:

Note: Maybe hangul should come before alphabetics...

- You also need to add the group titles for Korean to the GroupTitlesIX paragraph in the index chapter's reference page, such as:

Symbols[\];Numerics[0];A;B;C;D;E;F;G;H;I;J;K;L;M;N;O;P;Q;R;S;T;U;V;W;X;Y;Z;

For a better understanding of how index creating, sort oder etc. are working in Framemaker please read the index section of the FM online documenation:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2015/using/index.html#t=using-framemaker-2015/frm_books_bk/Creating_indexes-.htm

Please also read a document about Asian language support which is important for correct encoding:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2015/using/index.html#t=using-framemaker-2015/frm_text_tx/Asian_language_support1-.htm&rhsearch=hangul&rhhlterm=hangul&rhsyns=%20

Best
Franz
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Korean Index in Framemaker

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »