Thread poster: Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:04
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2015

Hello everyone! I have an issue. I try to explain.
I received a PDF file to translate. I made the translation and the needed good formatting with the help of PDF Infix pro. All is quite perfect, but when I try to open and read the file (translated and edited) with Adobe Reader , I found many errors ( a lot of strange simbols) and, obviuosly, the document can't be delivered to the client.
Why this happens? Can't I force the client to open the file with Infix, can I ?
Thanks for
... See more
Hello everyone! I have an issue. I try to explain.
I received a PDF file to translate. I made the translation and the needed good formatting with the help of PDF Infix pro. All is quite perfect, but when I try to open and read the file (translated and edited) with Adobe Reader , I found many errors ( a lot of strange simbols) and, obviuosly, the document can't be delivered to the client.
Why this happens? Can't I force the client to open the file with Infix, can I ?
Thanks for the any reply.

Piero
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:04
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Missing characters in built-in fonts Feb 11, 2015

It's probably due to an incomplete character set in the font built-in to the pdf document. One of the advantages of pdf documents is that the font is built in to the document and doesn't depend on the computer where the document is read having the font. However, the entire character set is not included inside the pdf document, only those characters used in its text. This causes a problem when translating a document since there will inevitably be some characters in the translation that are not... See more
It's probably due to an incomplete character set in the font built-in to the pdf document. One of the advantages of pdf documents is that the font is built in to the document and doesn't depend on the computer where the document is read having the font. However, the entire character set is not included inside the pdf document, only those characters used in its text. This causes a problem when translating a document since there will inevitably be some characters in the translation that are not in the character set included in the document. Infix tries to overcome this by suggesting alternative characters taken from the fonts available on your computer. You need to select a font from its suggestion that is close to the original, but this is not always an easy task. The alternative is to convert the pdf to Word format or have the client provide the text in Word format.Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Right on the spot, John! Feb 11, 2015

This is typical when translating from accent-free English into Piero's Italian or my Portuguese. One solution is BEFORE translating, doing a search & replace existing document fonts (partially embedded) for fonts present in your system, so when you translate, Infix will look for chars in your complete system fonts, and not in the fewer-chars embedded font, even if they are the same.

Also, if you export to TXT for translation, use UTF-8, not the Windows Default.

Sometime
... See more
This is typical when translating from accent-free English into Piero's Italian or my Portuguese. One solution is BEFORE translating, doing a search & replace existing document fonts (partially embedded) for fonts present in your system, so when you translate, Infix will look for chars in your complete system fonts, and not in the fewer-chars embedded font, even if they are the same.

Also, if you export to TXT for translation, use UTF-8, not the Windows Default.

Sometimes the same fonts are not the same. Microsoft translations often suck system-wide. For instance, they translated the Excel commands @SUM became @SOMA in PT, so that a Brazilian spreadsheet won't calculate in an American Excel, and vice-versa. In our present case, Verdana Bold is provided in the Brazilian Windows/Office (?) as Verdana Negrito. Goofs abound.
Collapse

Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:04
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
valid suggestions Feb 12, 2015

Thank you John and José Henrique.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DTP with Infix Pro: difficulties to read with other software

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »