Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39] >
Corona quarantine diary
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
German to English
Lucky you... Jun 27

Here in Texas, a predictable, devastating disaster is unfolding. In fact, it was already predicted by all the experts, but the governor didn't take any notice.

After several weeks of gradual relaxation of the lockdown, cases in Texas are now doubling week-on-week. In Houston, which boasts the world's largest medical center (actually dozens of different hospitals and clinics), ICU bed occupancy is already more than 100% and surge capacity is being exhausted rapidly.

ICU
... See more
Here in Texas, a predictable, devastating disaster is unfolding. In fact, it was already predicted by all the experts, but the governor didn't take any notice.

After several weeks of gradual relaxation of the lockdown, cases in Texas are now doubling week-on-week. In Houston, which boasts the world's largest medical center (actually dozens of different hospitals and clinics), ICU bed occupancy is already more than 100% and surge capacity is being exhausted rapidly.

ICU beds are filling up fast here in Austin, too (the 11th largest city in the United States), a situation that's also being repeated in the larger San Antonio and Dallas metropolitan areas.

The reasons are very simple: Too many people refusing to wear masks (and the refusal of the state governor, Greg Abbott, to impose a mask requirement) and practice social distancing. That's the real reason, not the "increased testing" lies being purveyed by Trump, Pence, and the other Republican killer sheep (seriously: They really do believe that if you test less, there will be fewer infections).

As the saying goes, "If you don't like the mask, you're gonna really hate the ventilator."

The United States now has more confirmed cases and more hospitalizations than it did during the height of the crisis in New York and New Jersey. Even though Our Dear Leader is telling everybody that the virus is "dying down".

But there is still some humour to be had in the crisis:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/24/mask-mandate-florida-anger-erupts-coronavirus-vpx.cnn

We should look on the bright side. Covid-19 has clearly given some people with severe personality disorders a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have their 15 seconds of fame.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Edwin den Boer
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The little-known 28th Amendment to the Constitooshun Jun 28

"No United States citizen shall be forced to wear a mask." Before you look it up, ask yourself this question - have I ever lied to you? They've kinda kept it under wraps until now, obviously. POTUS wrote it in at the bottom a few weeks ago with a felt tip when nobody was looking, apparently.

Less dramatic and definitely less brazen is the situation of Spain, but here too delockdown, deconfinement, new normality or whatever you choose to call it is tiptoeing into resurges all over th
... See more
"No United States citizen shall be forced to wear a mask." Before you look it up, ask yourself this question - have I ever lied to you? They've kinda kept it under wraps until now, obviously. POTUS wrote it in at the bottom a few weeks ago with a felt tip when nobody was looking, apparently.

Less dramatic and definitely less brazen is the situation of Spain, but here too delockdown, deconfinement, new normality or whatever you choose to call it is tiptoeing into resurges all over the State. Now, I'm not the kind of guy who says "I told you so", but, you know, I did tell you so. Please bear with me, because I'm actually gearing up to become one of those presidents of associations holding forth from home in front of their bookcases to the masses looking for scapegoats and blaarghing day and night. Associations, federations, councils, organisations - how many do you need or want? Night after night they're there on the box, so I reckon that if that shouty lady in red in Robin's video gets air time, I can as well.

Bitter cries on Spain's chat shows, too. You may remember my "Nobodies/Somebodies/Anybodies" post here (Page 7, post 7). The People's Princess, She Who Knows and Speaks Her Truth in Capital Letters, has finally broken her silence to lambast the powers-that-be for their catastrophic management of the crisis. Not that she'd been deliberately silent on the matter - word has it she'd actually been concentrating on lying around in the sun on the verandah to merge in bikini marks, and having a bit of work done to trim up those shave lines - but it always sounds better if you break your silence.

She used that sinister collagen-induced pout of quiet, informed confidence to tell the masses that she Personally Knows people who have Used the Madrid Metro. She Personally Knows people who have been In Hospital and Are Ill. Shame On You, Government, Shame On You. Not Her, you understand, because the People's Princess obviously never travels by metro. These are People She Knows - butcher, baker, candlestickmaker etc.

Last week's gig was unheard of. On this occasion, even the main scandalmonger and high priest of the whole shebang could not take her shrill verbal diarrhoea (and believe me, he sees it being shovelled around by the shedload constantly) and actually walked off his own show, refusing to remain on the same set with the People's Princess.

They seem to have resolved their differences - (?) it could be that it was recorded prior to the debacle - but the country was relieved/aghast/agog/only vaguely surprised/not surprised at all/exasperated to see the pair of them again on one of those celebrity cook-in programmes later in the week. They both have a busy schedule amid the Corona Chaos, and evidently you can't stay angry for long with people you are utterly, totally and completely dependent on to crush pepper corns and grate cheese for your spagbol against a 60-minute countdown with professional chefs barking at you all the while.

[Edited at 2020-06-28 09:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-28 09:19 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
expressisverbis

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:42
German to English
Not surprising in the US Jun 28

RobinB wrote:

[snip]

We should look on the bright side. Covid-19 has clearly given some people with severe personality disorders a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have their 15 seconds of fame.

The United States is one of the few countries where climate change denial is a major plank of one of the major political parties, so it is not surprising that in a country where public health officials receive death threats for what in other places would be accepted as factual statements about COVID-19, it is not surprising that the pandemic has not subsided.

One a bright note, there haven't been any school shootings since the onset of the pandemic.

Liviu-Lee Roth
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

IrinaN
United States
Local time: 10:42
English to Russian
+ ...
You can't fix stupid Jun 28

What politics has to do with anything? Except, of course, that it's all Russia's fault:-)

I was very impressed with one post under one article on the subject: "...Past generation of this age group responded to the call to fight fascism, went across the ocean and died for freedom. Present generation of the same age group screams "fascism" when deprived of bars and beaches for 2-3 weeks..."

BTW, I'm 30 miles southeast from downtown Houston and 17 miles away from Galvesto
... See more
What politics has to do with anything? Except, of course, that it's all Russia's fault:-)

I was very impressed with one post under one article on the subject: "...Past generation of this age group responded to the call to fight fascism, went across the ocean and died for freedom. Present generation of the same age group screams "fascism" when deprived of bars and beaches for 2-3 weeks..."

BTW, I'm 30 miles southeast from downtown Houston and 17 miles away from Galveston beaches, and in our mix of upper and middle middle-class space, oil and redneck suburbia 99% wear masks. Too bad I still need to return from work in VA:-) but they should let me back home anyway. I'll be happy to celebrate self-quarantine with my cats.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're never bad, but you could be worse Jun 29

It's probably what my mum would have said about the coronavirus, and she'd have been right. Two of Spain's autonomous regions now face something much more fearful than a deadly virus and widespread economic turmoil. And what could be worse than a deadly virus and widespread economic turmoil? A deadly virus, widespread economic turmoil and a regional parliament election campaign, that's what.

Galicia and the Basque Country will be voting on 12 July, but first they have to endure the
... See more
It's probably what my mum would have said about the coronavirus, and she'd have been right. Two of Spain's autonomous regions now face something much more fearful than a deadly virus and widespread economic turmoil. And what could be worse than a deadly virus and widespread economic turmoil? A deadly virus, widespread economic turmoil and a regional parliament election campaign, that's what.

Galicia and the Basque Country will be voting on 12 July, but first they have to endure the dreariness of the untimely and unwanted tub-thumping. True, there won't be so many open-air soapboxes, but that just means the media will be even more saturated with meaningless opportunistic blaargh spewed in the direction of a general public that just doesn't want to know, thanks. None of the handshaking, high-fiving and baby-kissing this time around, of course. Not so much touching base with the electorate as touching joints because high-fiving never really took off around these parts anyway, basketball players excepted, and so now it's more a case of winning smiles and low-elbowing amid empty promises, endless accusations and energetic denials.

No prizes for zippy slogans, either! I won't even bother to tell you which party says what, because basically they all sound the same. I've marked the one I personally feel earns five stars on the dismalometer, but you can make your own choice in your own little ProZ election:

Euskadi Standing Firm (in Basque) / We'll get there! (in Spanish). Well, I suppose that's what they mean, we'll get there, but the Spanish is actually ¡Saldremos!, "We'll leave". Right. "We'll leave and leave you to it", maybe.

It's time for new answers - ready to act (in Basque). They don't even bother with Spanish. Guess why?

Ready to govern (in Basque / We can govern (in Spanish). Right. Thanks for that. Send us a CV, but don't call us, we'll call you.

Answers (in Basque) / Solutions (in Spanish). One word, short and sweet. But an answer isn't necessarily a solution, is it? Hi, can you help me with my problem? - No, bugger off and go and bother someone else. - That's no solution! - No, but it's an answer, and that's what I promised you in Basque.

A plan for the future (in Basque) / A plan for the future (in Spanish). Well, they obviously have some shit-hot Basque-Spanish translators on the job there, but definitely deservedly ***** dismal.

Change the vote. Improve Euskadi (in Basque) / Let's cast a different vote. Let's come out of this better (in Spanish). Bit of an unwieldy mouthful in either language.

And those are just the slogans. Bring on the full-scale rhetoric ...

[Edited at 2020-06-29 14:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-29 14:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-29 14:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-29 14:59 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
expressisverbis

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Post removed Jul 1

I have a message telling me a post of mine has now been removed from this thread, from 12 May (!!) - it was the one about the phone call from Trump - because it was at odds with Site Rule 1. Well, I've taken a look at Site Rule 1, and it looks like they'll have to remove most of my posts on there. So good luck to whoever has to sift through the rest of them. Might have been an idea to do it back in May?

[Edited at 2020-07-01 11:52 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 15:42
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Are you serious? Jul 1

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I have a message telling me a post of mine has now been removed from this thread, from 12 May (!!) - it was the one about the phone call from Trump - because it was at odds with Site Rule 1. Well, I've taken a look at Site Rule 1, and it looks like they'll have to remove most of my posts on there. So good luck to whoever has to sift through the rest of them. Might have been an idea to do it back in May?

I cannot believe this...
Is there any subject more "controversial in nature" than coronavirus itself?
Are we not allowed to speak about what scares and worries us in our personal and professional lives?
You are right, the staff will have to remove all these posts.
The team needs to start to remove awkward translation suggestions (or mistranslations) provided by certain translators in Kudoz Terminology.
This would be in line with rule number 1.

Mervyn Henderson

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@expressisverbis Jul 1

No, they don't mean that there should be no discussion of coronavirus. They mean "stay on topic and don't stray into politics, religion etc.", which is the gist of Rule 1.

Actually, I hadn't noticed that the message says I can edit the post, and then submit it for approval. But I don't think there's much point editing a post that's 7 weeks old, do you?

[Edited at 2020-07-01 13:53 GMT]

expressisverbis

DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Zero patients or just people Jul 1

While I understand the ProZ neutrality approach, staying aside with something really bad happening in from of you—or hushing out the conscious ones—is far from “noli nocere”.

Besides, translation is not an abstract spherical horse in vacuum but rather Linguistics, Literature, Economics, Biology, History, Math, Physics, Politics, and just everything people can see, feel, think, or speak! It's the blood of understanding, but who meant it.
Or we should use teeny uptalking
... See more
While I understand the ProZ neutrality approach, staying aside with something really bad happening in from of you—or hushing out the conscious ones—is far from “noli nocere”.

Besides, translation is not an abstract spherical horse in vacuum but rather Linguistics, Literature, Economics, Biology, History, Math, Physics, Politics, and just everything people can see, feel, think, or speak! It's the blood of understanding, but who meant it.
Or we should use teeny uptalking as if asking timidly, perhaps?

Private schools, private politics, private armies, private hospitals, private churches, private R&D, private prisons, private diseases, private cures, and now private police, but WHO cares...

So, how would you translate such a question: “If a pest is some 2 nanometers (0.000002 millimetres) and an average (not to mention self-made) mask holes are about 0.6 millimetres, then what is the use for healthy* people of wearing such masks, let alone without protecting the eyes?”

Nevermind that at least in UA they just increased daily tests from ~700 to ~5000 (with 10,000+ in mind) predicting a 'new wave', nor that mask and sanitizer factories are flourishing so much: Somebody is always fiddling gaily while Rome something is burning brightly.

[Edited at 2020-07-04 07:57 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, I know, Jul 1

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

No, they don't mean that there should be no discussion of coronavirus. They mean "stay on topic and don't stray into politics, religion etc.", which is the gist of Rule 1.

Actually, I hadn't noticed that the message says I can edit the post, and then submit it for approval. But I don't think there's much point editing a post that's 7 weeks old, do you?

[Edited at 2020-07-01 13:53 GMT]

but religion, beliefs, politics, etc. can become inevitable when we are talking about this pandemic.
I think Proz teams need to look into other real issues.
Honestly, I don't remember the phone call from Trump of your removed post... if your post was about the phone call, on 1st May, between Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa and Donald Trump, who praised Portugal's performance and offered all the help in combating coronavirus, I believe it wouldn't be a problem at all.
By the way... lately, Portugal is showing a high number of infected people compared to Spain or even to France. The number of deaths is decreasing, but now the South is in a painful situation.
You have that right, so you can edit it, if you like, but be gentle with the site rules

Mervyn Henderson

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Me too Jul 1

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

One of mine has gone too. I can’t edit it because I can’t now see what it said🙄

The Orange One has influence everywhere. We’re lucky he didn’t fire off a tweet or two about those very, very bad people on ProZ and shut the place down.

Edit: I’ve now found the first line of the offending post, which does refer to “cockwombles like Putin and Trump”, so I guess I’ve been spreading fake news again. Oops.

[Edited at 2020-07-01 21:18 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Portugal Jul 2

That's bad news about Portugal, expressisverbis, but you wouldn't have thought so from the heartwarming speeches by both heads of state and PMs on the newly opened border with Spain yesterday, which you probably saw or read about.

The King expressed his "joy" that Spaniards could now cross over into Elvas again. Most of the people on both sides seemed happy about it too, except one woman in a car (Portuguese side, I think) who said quite categorically they should have waited a bit
... See more
That's bad news about Portugal, expressisverbis, but you wouldn't have thought so from the heartwarming speeches by both heads of state and PMs on the newly opened border with Spain yesterday, which you probably saw or read about.

The King expressed his "joy" that Spaniards could now cross over into Elvas again. Most of the people on both sides seemed happy about it too, except one woman in a car (Portuguese side, I think) who said quite categorically they should have waited a bit longer.

Felipe VI's on a tour of his realm at the moment to raise spirits and lend support to that "new normality". The previous call was a little farther south in the province of Sevilla, in Spain's poorest town, where he and the queen did a social-distanced walkabout with no face masks. People seemed glad to see them, although there were cries of "more work, less charity", and not a little muttering about the hasty clean-up operation days in advance to render the gaff, if not regal, at least a little less unsightly. One does what one can.

It suddenly strikes me that all this might be construed as political. Still, I haven't used the word cockwomble. Oh, blast ...
Collapse

expressisverbis

Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Jul 2

Chris S wrote:

I’ve now found the first line of the offending post, which does refer to “cockwombles like Putin and Trump” ...

Maybe a cockwomble felt offended by the comparison.

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson
Joe France
Chris S
Jennifer Forbes
Yvonne Gallagher

expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mervyn, Jul 2

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

The King expressed his "joy" that Spaniards could now cross over into Elvas again. Most of the people on both sides seemed happy about it too, except one woman in a car (Portuguese side, I think) who said quite categorically they should have waited a bit longer.

Felipe VI's on a tour of his realm at the moment to raise spirits and lend support to that "new normality". The previous call was a little farther south in the province of Sevilla, in Spain's poorest town, where he and the queen did a social-distanced walkabout with no face masks. People seemed glad to see them, although there were cries of "more work, less charity", and not a little muttering about the hasty clean-up operation days in advance to render the gaff, if not regal, at least a little less unsightly. One does what one can.

It suddenly strikes me that all this might be construed as political. Still, I haven't used the word cockwomble. Oh, blast ...

Here's an update on Portugal, in the end of June:
https://www.theportugalnews.com/news/covid-19-portugal-update-30-june/54681
Yes, I read about it. Yesterday, Spain and Portugal opened their borders, but I am worried about something else.
I am not reading the news so often like before, because work has kept me busy lately (thank God!).
I am confident we will take precautions to not face a second (or more serious) wave.

Mervyn Henderson

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:42
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Day 107-ish of quarantine Jul 4

Santiago, Chile

- I now own three pairs of slippers.
- Not a single pair of jeans fit anymore.
- The step bench and dumbbells I purchased sometime around day 20 keep glaring at me from the corner.
- Day pijamas are all the new rage.
- Bra?

On a more serious note, the infection rate in Chile seems to be (finally!) slowing down a bit at "only" 3,550 new cases yesterday. Yes, that is a good number, we are quite -ed.

... See more
Santiago, Chile

- I now own three pairs of slippers.
- Not a single pair of jeans fit anymore.
- The step bench and dumbbells I purchased sometime around day 20 keep glaring at me from the corner.
- Day pijamas are all the new rage.
- Bra?

On a more serious note, the infection rate in Chile seems to be (finally!) slowing down a bit at "only" 3,550 new cases yesterday. Yes, that is a good number, we are quite -ed.

The end of quarantine is nowhere in sight. It's going to be a looong Winter.

[Edited at 2020-07-04 04:25 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Chris S

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

ProZ.com Headquarters
235 Harrison Street Mail Drop #22
Syracuse, NY 13202
USA
+1-315-463-7323
ProZ.com Argentina
Calle 14 nro. 622 1/2 entre 44 y 45
La Plata (B1900AND), Buenos Aires
Argentina
+54-221-425-1266
ProZ.com Ukraine
6 Karazina St.
Kharkiv, 61002
Ukraine
+380 57 7281624
Dawn it-tradutturi jikkoordinaw it-traduzzjoni ta’ ProZ.com f’ Maltese

Team Members: Rita Briffa

Jekk jogħġbok innota li s-sit għadu mhux tradott kollu. Il-lokalizzazzjoni tas-sit qed jipproċedi fi stadji, bis-siti l-aktar attivi jiġu tradotti l-ewwel. Jekk tara xi errur fit-traduzzjoni fi kwalunkwe parti tas-sit li diġà ġie lokalizzat, jekk jogħġbok avża lil wieħed mill-koordinaturi tal-lokalizzazzjoni hawn fuq.
For information on how you can help localize the site, please click here.

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Fittex għal terminu
  • Xogħol
  • Fora
  • Multiple search