Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:16
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 10, 2014

hello

I understand what translating / checking-editing mean, but what is transwriting? is it between two languages? it is certainly not like transcription, in one language, for instance from audio to written language.

Thanks for giving me some examples / references

Madeleine

[Edited at 2014-06-10 13:21 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2016-11-04 13:31 GMT]

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Do you mean 'Transcribing?' Jun 10, 2014

I think you are referring to transcribing, which is writing taken from audio.
To my knowledge, there is no such thing (in English) as transwriting.

dropinka (X)
dropinka (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Or maybe transcreation? Jun 10, 2014

Do they maybe mean transcreation?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcreation

Claudia

[Edited at 2014-06-10 11:14 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Transécriture (adaptation) Jun 10, 2014

Looks like transécriture to me.

See/Voir,

"Les livres et les films qui forment la série mettant en scène James Bond fournit l'occasion de repenser le débat sur les rapports entre littérature et cinéma non plus grâce au concept, vague et inapproprié, d'adaptation mais à celui de transécriture. C'est en termes d'écriture qu'il s'agit d'aborder les romans et les films afin de faire émerger les spécificités de chacun des médias et, en particulier, du cinéma
... See more
Looks like transécriture to me.

See/Voir,

"Les livres et les films qui forment la série mettant en scène James Bond fournit l'occasion de repenser le débat sur les rapports entre littérature et cinéma non plus grâce au concept, vague et inapproprié, d'adaptation mais à celui de transécriture. C'est en termes d'écriture qu'il s'agit d'aborder les romans et les films afin de faire émerger les spécificités de chacun des médias et, en particulier, du cinéma.
---
The series of books and films featuring James Bond provides a unique opportunity to rethink the debate about the links between literature and cinema. This time, however, it is not through the vague and inappropriate concept of "adaptation" but "transécriture" ("transwriting"). We need to think in terms of writing when we wish to underline the way each of these media is unique."
(Bilingual abstract found at www.theses.ulaval.ca/2010/27235/27235.pdf)

"Le phénomène de la migration des histoires entre les médias caractérise la transécriture, que l’on connaît mieux sous le nom d’adaptation, et qui consiste en la capacité qu’a le récit narratif (ou le « genre narratif ») à transcender ses manifestations médiatiques..."
(http://cri.histart.umontreal.ca/cri/fr/cdoc/fiche_concept.asp?id=36)

Here is one title where transwriting is discussed, http://www.fabula.org/actualites/la-transecriture-pour-une-theorie-de-l-adaptation-litterature-cinema-bande-dessinee-theatre-clip_110.php
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:16
German to English
Check this out Jun 10, 2014

http://www.rondely.com/wordobra/Appr_eng1.htm

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you very much for your suggestions Jun 10, 2014

I was very much interested in your posts and especially in the document pointed out by Kim Metzger.
This is a new subject for me and I have to figure out how to adapt that to IT case studies.
I only know how to adapt that with a marketing flavour.

Thank you for your time!

Madeleine

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Rebranding translation Jun 10, 2014

The definition of transwriting on Kim's example page - "the unique method of focusing on the core information and effectively rendering it in articulate and dynamic interlingual transfer" - is quite a good decription of, eh, translation.

As the blurb says, when you are working with non-cognate languages, such as English and Japanese, there is less opportunity to mirror the grammar, syntax or vocabulary of the source in your translation. With languages that are more closely related,
... See more
The definition of transwriting on Kim's example page - "the unique method of focusing on the core information and effectively rendering it in articulate and dynamic interlingual transfer" - is quite a good decription of, eh, translation.

As the blurb says, when you are working with non-cognate languages, such as English and Japanese, there is less opportunity to mirror the grammar, syntax or vocabulary of the source in your translation. With languages that are more closely related, the form of the original can, because it is sometimes possible in the target language, discourage lazier translators from making any effort to identify the core concepts and reformulate them into an effective target-language configuration.

That's one reason why it's a good idea to learn a "difficult" foreign language first. You have to translate; you can't get away with just calquing the original.

[Edited at 2014-06-10 14:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Transwriting"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »