Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How much less should I ask for creative translations vs technical? Is there a ratio?
Thread poster: Jonathan Beaton
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:09
Charge the same or more! Mar 19, 2013

Teresa Borges wrote:

I never charge by word, but by the hour or a flat fee. Most of these texts are rather short but require writing skills, creative flair and a lot of imagination in order to maintain the intent, style, tone and context of the original.

Most of my creative/marketing work is done for an agency, so the rate is per word.

I have just spent half an hour "staring out the window" on the first paragraph (less than 50 words) of a detailed marketing brochure.

The coherence of the entire document depends on getting these few words right - in terms of tone, style, and terminology. There is no point translating the rest of the document until I am satisfied with the introduction.

If this were a direct client, I would have negotiated a flat fee equivalent to much more than my normal per word rate.

Although I favour streamlined rates, each job has to be considered individually.

There are no shortcuts in translation, whether technical or creative - or any other type you care to mention. Each require specific expertise.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that one type of text is intrinsically "easier" than another.

The degree of ease with which you translate a specific type of text depends on many, many factors, including experience, natural inclination, and other wonderfully vague variables such as knowledge of your subject field!

Edited to change word order.

[Edited at 2013-03-19 23:26 GMT]

Kate Tomkins
Kate Tomkins
Local time: 05:09
German to English
More difficult but more enjoyable Apr 2, 2013

Creative writing can be a real challenge ... you could spend a whole week thinking of the best way to translate a single sentence for an advertising campaign.

On the other hand, creative translation is generally considered to be more enjoyable than translating contracts and technical handbooks, so more people will be willing to do the work. Some might even consider translating a favourite book for free.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much less should I ask for creative translations vs technical? Is there a ratio?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »