Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >
难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)
Thread poster: Zhoudan
isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 16:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
好不容易建一个新品牌,还被你给戳穿了 Mar 19, 2008

jyuan_us wrote:

TT你都建立了品牌换什么换。换回来吧。

以前也有ISA,没注意。连这我也想换,没琢磨出来怎么换。

[Edited at 2008-03-19 14:18]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
你那样处理也很好 Mar 19, 2008

Zhoudan wrote:

老孙,

您这个好。不过最后“填写人”,是怎么翻的呢?

我曾经想过这样写
第一行 Completed by:
第二行 Name in Chinese (Print)

小周:

你那样处理也很好。“填写人”在英文中没有对应的词,只能根据情况灵活处理。我翻的那份申请书,申请人是一个单位,“填写人”是该单位的一名成员,所以我把“填写人”译成了 Preparer。

在中译英时,有的文件最后有两栏:
by:
Date:
我就把这个"by:"译成“编制者:”。如果是图纸,就译成“绘图者:”。

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
上火英文怎么翻啊? Mar 27, 2008

中国人老说某种东西吃多了上火,这“上火“英文怎么翻能把咱中医的理论精髓体现出来啊?

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
这个古董link跟上火有关 Mar 27, 2008

http://chi.proz.com/kudoz/315778

http://www.proz.com/topic/6649

isahuang wrote:

[Edited at 2008-03-27 13:12]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
上火 Mar 27, 2008

It's tough, but how about "excessive internal heat", or just "too hot" if the term "hot" has been previously explained in the traditional Chinese medicine sense.

[Edited at 2008-03-27 16:46]

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
thanks Mar 27, 2008

wherestip wrote:

It's tough, but how about "excessive internal heat", or just "too hot" if the term "hot" was previously explained in the traditional Chinese medicine sense.

I know "excessive internal heat" is a set translation of this term, but I am wondering how it sounds like to an ordinary English native speaker who has no knowledge of Chinese not to say Chinese medicine.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
上火 Mar 27, 2008

isahuang wrote:

I know "excessive internal heat" is a set translation of this term, but I am wondering how it sounds like to an ordinary English native speaker who has no knowledge of Chinese not to say Chinese medicine.

Your average Joe would probably suggest "hosing him down" or something like that

But seriously, if you're explaining it to a complete layman, I think it would take more than a sentence to get the concept across.

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
I like this one Mar 27, 2008

wherestip wrote:

Your average Joe would probably suggest "hosing him down" or something like that

是这样的,昨天和同事吃午饭,她前天晚上吃涮羊肉,涮得太多了,没吃完,所以昨天就带到班上了,让大家分享,吃的时候呢,一位中国同事说,羊肉吃多了上火,老外没这概念,所以费了半天劲,也没把中文意思解释清楚。早问Steve就好了。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
吃羊肉會熱氣嗎? Mar 27, 2008

『上火』就是廣東人所說『熱氣』。『羊肉是溫補之物』,不會『熱氣』。不過,任何東西多吃均無益。煮羊肉要加姜,有驅寒作用。

冬天經常吃羊肉要注意什麼嗎?_雅虎知識堂- 簡 - [ 轉為繁體網頁 - Translate this page ]羊肉是溫補之物,適用於陰虛怕冷,四肢不溫,腰膝乏力,性功能低下者。冬天吃羊肉,可以去除體內的濕氣、熱氣,可以補虛增肌,還有有補氣養血,溫脾暖腎的功效,是冬季 ...
ks.cn.yahoo.com/question/1306091802281.html - 62k - Cached - Similar pages

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:38
Chinese to English
+ ...
Heatiness Mar 27, 2008

We call these (tongue-in-cheek) 'heaty' food. Example: http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/lofiversion/index.php/t14385.html .

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
嗯,这些古董链接看了也会有点上火。 Mar 29, 2008

Hot discussion was it.

For "internal fervor":
http://books.google.de/books?id=SXFePmd2uEIC&pg=RA3-PA381&lpg=RA3-PA381&dq="internal%20fervor"&source=web&ots=SKa6kguVaF&sig=b5ZzT4-qnc7Fn0_3IOiwCIsK_18&hl=de

For "internal heat":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_heat

看来土星还真的很上火呢!
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/health/jupiters-jets-likely-heated-by-internal-heat-rather-than-suns-radiation_10014269.html

Zhoudan wrote:

这个古董link跟上火有关

http://chi.proz.com/kudoz/315778

http://www.proz.com/topic/6649

isahuang wrote:

[Edited at 2008-03-29 15:46]

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
上火 - One more version Mar 29, 2008

是否可以说成 Heat agent - causing excessive internal heat in the body, for example, when you get blisters on your lips. 后面是为了向老外解释,所以特别加上 in the body.

上火的东西可以说成是 heat agent. 我最近上火了,可以说 I have got excessive intrernal heat recently.

本来想用heat Trigger,但是trigger容易被理解成突然发生,上火的东西也不是一吃就会上火的,吃多了才会上火。也想到过Rai
... See more
是否可以说成 Heat agent - causing excessive internal heat in the body, for example, when you get blisters on your lips. 后面是为了向老外解释,所以特别加上 in the body.

上火的东西可以说成是 heat agent. 我最近上火了,可以说 I have got excessive intrernal heat recently.

本来想用heat Trigger,但是trigger容易被理解成突然发生,上火的东西也不是一吃就会上火的,吃多了才会上火。也想到过Raiser,但是觉得太中式英文,也许这中医的东西本来就是中国的,带点中式英文的味道也没有关系,主要还是要看上下文,能把意思表达出来就行。另外,也许可以像下面的cooling agent一样,译成heat agent,heating似乎不合适,日常生活中用到heating太多,会让人一开始的时候感到不知所云。heat agent好像更合适一点。

类似地,“清火”的东西是否可以译成 cooling agent - lowering excessive internal heat in the body, or hosing down your excessive internal heat, as Steve suggested.

我前几天上火,现在已经退了。
I had got excessive internal heat a few days ago but now it has been hosed down (or just it is gone.)

95年2月开始在美国做翻译时,第二个月就接到了一个比较大的中医翻译项目,是National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncturists 的两份试卷,一份中医学,一份中药学,试卷原文为英文,要翻译成中文,总共420道题,通过考试就获得行医资格,这两份试卷他们现在仍然在用,只是他们把试卷弄到了电脑上,变成了机考。中医的翻译确实不容易,当时在亚利桑那大学工作,只能晚上和周末做,做得比较辛苦。他们那个认证委员会有个老美中医师,国语讲得很地道,英文试卷就是他出的,翻译过程中,有时候和他在电话中讨论。他还用英语写了一本很厚的《Materia Medica 中药学》,我买了一本,后来看到有的中药店就把那本书放在柜台上,老美来买中药的时候,有问题就让他们看书中那一味药的解释。中医师在美国主流社会不太容易被接受,但是针灸医师是可以接受的,所以中医师在美国多数都说是针灸医师。

isahuang wrote:

[Edited at 2008-03-30 03:52]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
上火 去火 Mar 30, 2008

Dr. Li,

Good suggestions on these terms related to Chinese medicine.

BTW, I was just joking around about hosing someone down. What I meant to say to Tingting is your average American who hasn't had much exposure to traditional Chinese medicine would have a hard time understanding the phrase "having excessive internal heat (in the body)" without some further explanation.

Like you said, the consumption of cooling agents would counter the effect and reduce
... See more
Dr. Li,

BTW, I was just joking around about hosing someone down. What I meant to say to Tingting is your average American who hasn't had much exposure to traditional Chinese medicine would have a hard time understanding the phrase "having excessive internal heat (in the body)" without some further explanation.

Like you said, the consumption of cooling agents would counter the effect and reduce, or rid, the body of excessive internal heat.
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yes. I noticed "average Joe" and your joking tone. Mar 30, 2008

Yes. I noticed "average Joe" and your joking tone.

西医中,能够起到什么作用的药物组成往往称为XX agent,所以上面就借用了,例如乐音和我翻译和校对的很多专利里面都有类似下面的描述,一个句子里面就有17个agent:

Pharmaceutically acceptable carriers include at least one component selected from the group comprising pharmaceutically acceptable carriers, diluents, coatings, adjuvants, excipients, or vehicles, suc
... See more
Yes. I noticed "average Joe" and your joking tone.

西医中,能够起到什么作用的药物组成往往称为XX agent,所以上面就借用了,例如乐音和我翻译和校对的很多专利里面都有类似下面的描述,一个句子里面就有17个agent:

Pharmaceutically acceptable carriers include at least one component selected from the group comprising pharmaceutically acceptable carriers, diluents, coatings, adjuvants, excipients, or vehicles, such as preserving agents, fillers, disintegrating agents, wetting agents, emulsifying agents, emulsion stabilizing agents, suspending agents, isotonic agents, sweetening agents, flavoring agents, perfuming agents, coloring agents, antibacterial agents, antifungal agents, other therapeutic agents, lubricating agents, adsorption delaying or promoting agents, and dispensing agents, depending on the nature of the mode of administration and dosage forms.

中医翻译的难处在于中医中的很多概念在英文中没有对应的说法,比如火,气,各种虚证等等,而且西人大多不信中医,要他们看一篇从中文翻译过来的英文中医文章往往也难以看得下去。

wherestip wrote:

Dr. Li,

Like you said, the consumption of cooling agents would counter the effect and reduce, or rid, the body of excessive internal heat.

[Edited at 2008-03-30 18:07]
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
“散仙”怎么翻 Mar 31, 2008

电视歌手大奖赛的文化赛题,说到八仙,余秋雨说八仙是“散仙”,也就是没有上司管着的神仙,体制外的。忽然想到“散仙”英文怎么说呢。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »