Local time: 09:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tea or Coffee?I want both! (II) Mar 9, 2019

【翻译点滴】 NOTES OF A TRANSLATOR
Concern over my teapot collection
《藏壶者的顾虑:工艺臻于完善,真料却已难觅》

The custom of tea drinking might be as old as the Chinese civilization, and there is no doubt that most Chinese love drinking tea, North or South. In my mind however, discussion on the topics of tea brewing and drinking seems to be limited to South China where the majority of China's teas are produced, especially in the areas Sout
... See more

The custom of tea drinking might be as old as the Chinese civilization, and there is no doubt that most Chinese love drinking tea, North or South. In my mind however, discussion on the topics of tea brewing and drinking seems to be limited to South China where the majority of China's teas are produced, especially in the areas South of the Yangtze from Southern Jiangsu through Zhejiang, Fujian to Canton provinces, with pockets of growing areas in as far south as Yunnan. It is also in the South that most of China's tea-ware is produced, including the famed Yixing teapots made from the exotic local clay known as "purple clay" or zisha 紫砂. While looking for some information on a recent acquisition of my growing teapot collection, I am a bit surprised to realize that the above concept of mine is certainly behind the times, as I was reminded by the following essay written by somebody in an industrial college in North China.

从“神农尝百草”讲起,讲到唐代,再从唐代讲到“一带一路”。

The following essay intends to expound the importance of China's tea-culture and its benefits to the rest of the world. While several of its arguments might be quite valid, in the current context of trade wars, I am sorry to see an old pattern of academic writings trying to hook up with recent government policy and political incentives. To me at least, essays like this have very little to offer if one is trying to find some practical information. The higher in tone they are, the less they have in substance. I am also turned off by the ads popping up asking whether I (the reader) need any help having some article written or published. It seems as if I answered "yes" and I want something written, say in the title of "Why strong coffee drives me crazy and strong tea makes me happy," somebody would do the research for me and write a paper about it. I have to say it is a really cool service to have and a great time for those living in China now in the academic circles, because I wouldn't be able to find such service in America. I can order from Amazon any type of fruit juice maker such as a Ninja bullet, to make smoothies and cool drinks, but I doubt anybody would offer to write my research paper for me.

Be prepared for popups such as this:
你好,需要写作或发表文章吗?
我们将为你提供专业的服务!

《我国传统茶文化的现代价值》
关键词:一带一路;茶文化;现代价值;文化传播

1“一带一路”倡议与茶文化
...自神农尝百草后 ...... 一直到唐朝陆羽《茶经》

2“一带一路”倡议下中国传统茶文化的现代价值

3“一带一路”倡议下中国传统茶文化的弘扬措施
——3.1明确传播对象,重新编写茶文化教材......
——3.3加大弘扬力度,加强茶学著作的翻译工作......

What got me interested in these subtitles is the possibility that a lot of classical writings on tea cultivation and tea literature are going to be republished. Translations of these classics would be needed. But this essay only has a broad suggestion or proposal, there is nothing concrete. I am afraid my cup of tea would get cold if I keep reading this web page, so I am going to have another cup first while it's still warm before trying to understand any of these lofty goals outlined in this essay.

读到这种文章,教人怎么讲?

无源之水一泻光,无料之矿开不长。
宜兴工艺臻完美,只怕紫砂泥断档。

D.S.2019.0308.c

所谓正宗的紫砂茶壶,最起码应该是用真正的紫砂泥料做的,要不然就不是紫砂壶了。

在我看来,光卖紫砂壶是不够的,因为正宗的紫砂矿藏已经十分有限。这“茶学著作的翻译工作”方面也得介绍点其他国家的工艺进中国去,因为别的陶器、瓷器也可以做茶具,也有很好的手工艺,也能泡茶。在西方,咖啡壶也常常当茶壶来用,介绍一些煮咖啡的知识和咖啡壶给自己,让中国人能随心所欲想喝啥就喝啥,岂不更好。

Tea or Coffee?
Would we have both?

[Edited at 2019-03-09 02:56 GMT]
Collapse

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 12:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
Commoditization Mar 9, 2019

David Shen wrote:

...... I am also turned off by the ads popping up asking whether I (the reader) need any help having some article written or published. It seems as if I answered "yes" and I want something written, say in the title of "Why strong coffee drives me crazy and strong tea makes me happy," somebody would do the research for me and write a paper about it. I have to say it is a really cool service to have and a great time for those living in China now in the academic circles, because I wouldn't be able to find such service in America. I can order from Amazon any type of fruit juice maker such as a Ninja bullet, to make smoothies and cool drinks, but I doubt anybody would offer to write my research paper for me.

Be prepared for popups such as this:
你好,需要写作或发表文章吗?
我们将为你提供专业的服务!

买卖论文如 “超市购物” 年销售额 10 亿以上

李华 ( 化名 ) 是西部某高校一位青年教师,业余时间他的另一个身份是论文中介代理。“现在买卖论文比起 5 年前,无论操作程序还是提供的服务,都进入到更高阶段。” 李华说,在论文买卖 Q Q 群里,已经通过编辑部审核的论文就像放在超市里的商品一样任人挑选,这种论文一般售价在 2 万至 5 万元之间。
http://news.bioon.com/article/6660489.html

China cracks down after investigation finds massive peer-review fraud
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/07/china-cracks-down-after-investigation-finds-massive-peer-review-fraud

[Edited at 2019-03-09 21:50 GMT]

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
CCTV 3.15 Evening Show Mar 17, 2019

David Shen wrote:

读到这种文章,教人怎么讲?

无源之水一泻光,无料之矿开不长。
宜兴工艺臻完美,只怕紫砂泥断档。

D.S.2019.0308.c

"原料"

央视3•15晚会 预告片关键词句:

医疗垃圾的黑色产业、危险的辣条、“化妆” 的土鸡蛋、缺德的智能骚扰电话、资质证书岂能如此挂靠、不卫生的卫生用品、“714高炮” … …

http://m.news.cctv.com/2019/03/16/ARTIfclX8mgU09Cri2R8Gf9i190316.shtml

[Edited at 2019-03-17 17:05 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Years go Mar 18, 2019

买卖论文如 “超市购物” 年销售额 10 亿以上

李华 ( 化名 ) 是西部某高校一位青年教师,业余时间他的另一个身份是论文中介代理。“现在买卖论文比起 5 年前,无论操作程序还是提供的服务,都进入到更高阶段。” 李华说,在论文买卖 Q Q 群里,已经通过编辑部审核的论文就像放在超市里的商品一样任人挑选,这种论文一般售价在 2 万至 5 万元之间。
http://news.bioon.com/article/6660489.html

...I picked up some ghost writing assignments. Back then the money you'd get from producing these literary products were already poor.

Alas, I'm always surprised at why students just won't give it a try. The majority of professors in the first 1-2 years of university are usually quite generous, at least in North America. If they see people making an effort you'll get appropriate credit for that effort...

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
As a translator would say… Mar 24, 2019

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On the Style of Communication Today May 5, 2019

《如今之交流》On the Style of Communication Today

有的人集邮,有的集明信片;本人两者都不集,所以无法体会他们的乐趣。但如要收藏,则两者之间我更喜欢明信片。近来为学版画史收集了一批老明信片,大多是英文的,也有少量是德文和日文的。看着上面一个世纪前的人写于欧洲寄往美国的手迹,再看日戳,往往要几十天后才能传到�
... See more
《如今之交流》On the Style of Communication Today

有的人集邮,有的集明信片;本人两者都不集,所以无法体会他们的乐趣。但如要收藏,则两者之间我更喜欢明信片。近来为学版画史收集了一批老明信片,大多是英文的,也有少量是德文和日文的。看着上面一个世纪前的人写于欧洲寄往美国的手迹,再看日戳,往往要几十天后才能传到收信人手里。寥寥数言,悲欢离合尽流露于字里行间。有的这边才收到,那边发信人说不定已死,尤其是第一次世界大战期间 ...... 当然我所感兴趣的主要是正面的图片,有欧洲当时各地方的风貌;但偶尔一纸在手读来令人感慨系之!相比今日之交流方式,感慨几句:

电 子 时 代 频 交 流,三 铃 五 秒 等 到 头。
六 秒 钟 内 没 回 复,对 方 判 你 人 已 走。
书 信 明 信 成 古 董,网 上 瞬 间 到 处 游。
游 戏 对 话 尤 其 快,短 语 乱 射 窜 猫 狗。
莫 道 闪 速 无 常 情,五 情 六 欲 送 emo
及 时 行 乐 见 此 时,世 间 何 物 值 得 留?

2019.0505.a

Popular Emojis of Our Time

© Provided by The XYZA, LLC

[Edited at 2019-05-05 17:53 GMT]
Collapse

pkchan
QHE

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It all started with Yang Guifei, wanting her lychee fresh from the tree. Jul 15, 2019

【翻译点滴】NOTES OF A TRANSLATOR《网购快递追贵妃》

个个想要妃子笑,网购现在能做到。
狗粮咖啡尽快递,谁知环境吃不消。
中国如果也这样,贵妃悔不生今朝。
来稿何必如此急?翻译熬夜把灯挑。

D.S.2019.0715.b

A good report
... See more

个个想要妃子笑,网购现在能做到。
狗粮咖啡尽快递,谁知环境吃不消。
中国如果也这样,贵妃悔不生今朝。
来稿何必如此急?翻译熬夜把灯挑。

D.S.2019.0715.b

A good report to read:

The hidden cost of America's addiction to fast shipping
by Lydia DePillis 2 hrs ago

"Instant Gratification" is best illustrated by this trend in fast shipping everything, a privilege only the rich could afford that has now become popular. Relating this phenomenon to the translation industry, I wish project managers realize that rush translations have similar effects on the translator, just like expedited shipping puts the stress on the Earth.

Like one researcher explains:
Why Instant Gratification Doesn’t Create Lasting Happiness
, rush translations are less likely to have lasting quality, when we are talking about translation, not interpreting.
Collapse

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Post-consumer packaging waste Jul 17, 2019

David Shen wrote:

个个想要妃子笑,网购现在能做到。

各显其能:
https://wxn.qq.com/cmsid/20170524A0AFC800

David Shen wrote:

中国如果也这样,贵妃悔不生今朝。

国内的速度赛美国!一般的家居用品早上订,下午就到。外卖通常30分钟送上门。

北京的大街小巷人行道上,时时处处穿梭着送快递的、送外卖的。与此同时, 包装垃圾“围城”

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What? Jul 17, 2019

《哇!》

海量快递垃圾“攻防战”
随着电子商务的快速发展,我国快递行业呈现爆发式增长。预计2019年快递业务量将突破600亿件。与此同时,在我国特大城市中,快递包装垃圾增量已占到生活垃圾增量的93%,部分大型城市则为85%~90%。......

“万岁、万岁、万万岁”还有点概念,但凡是上了“亿”的数目,我这种人就搞不清楚了。原来国内生活早已是这个样子了?

《600亿件?》
拼多多、拼少少,600亿件是多少?
拼命快递满街窜,拼得围墙随便跳。

[Edited at 2019-07-18 05:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-18 14:35 GMT]

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
“呵呵” Aug 4, 2019

华姐 “呵呵” 的英文标准翻译来了
外交部发言人办公室 2019-08-01
http://language.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201908/01/WS5d42858ea310cf3e355635a0.html

华春莹回答提问原话:
关于第三个问题,我看到了有关报道。我只想 “呵呵” 两声。

“外交部发言人办公室
... See more
华姐 “呵呵” 的英文标准翻译来了
外交部发言人办公室 2019-08-01
http://language.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201908/01/WS5d42858ea310cf3e355635a0.html

华春莹回答提问原话:

“外交部发言人办公室” 给出的英译文:
On your third question, I have seen relevant reports and twitter. Hmm. How interesting.

P.S., GT: Regarding the third question, I saw relevant reports. I just want to "hehe" two sounds.

ME: Yeah, right!

呵呵…… 是啥意思
https://kknews.cc/tech/y25o3lj.html
Collapse

David Shen

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Experienced translators jump over the hurdle, machine translators bump into the fence. Aug 4, 2019

人译当然胜机译,
此处又见一佳例。
翻译障碍知多少?
翻过才知不容易!

Thanks for posting this!

QHE wrote:
华姐 “呵呵” 的英文标准翻译来了
华春莹回答提问原话:

“外交部发言人办公室” 给出的英译文:
On your third question, I have seen relevant reports and twitter. Hmm. How interesting.

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The three steps towards a better translation inspired by tea brewing Aug 19, 2019

【翻译点滴】NOTES OF A TRANSLATOR
《早茶三泡,翻译三校》—19年立秋改2016年旧作

早茶一泡松,昨日句犹臃。
杂质洗涤净,尘埃须水冲。

早茶二泡浓,汤色清或红。
香醇天涯来,入口知茗种。

早茶三泡穷,文思如泉涌。
谁採他山叶,浸入我杯中。

饮茶求其味,残叶质已空。
译文得其意,不求言辞同。

D.S.2019.0818.a

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For the Study of the Subjunctive Mood Aug 26, 2019

【翻译点滴】 NOTES OF A TRANSLATOR 《虚拟语态一连串,此文可读当纪念》
For the Study of the Subjunctive Mood

英语的虚拟:
If somebody hadn’t done that, it didn’t have to happen the way it did.

记得自己当学生时遇到的一个很大的语法难题就是所谓的“过去完成时”。心想:英国人真是的,事情都已经过去了/完成了,还操什么心呀。所以当时只能用中文的‘悔意’来理解了,即:
“早知如此,何必当初。”

后来发觉,英语的虚拟语态并非只此而已,他们还包括:
即便如此,照做不误。

But a lot of them did, and purposely! 比如说贩卖黑奴。

中文的悔意,英文的虚拟。
此文一连串,可读亦可纪。
Here is a good article to read
For the study of the Subjunctive Mood

American slavery began in 1619: Project documents brutal journey by Rick Hampson 20 hrs ago
《纪黑奴贩卖四百周年1619-2019》

“Slavery alongside democracy; oppression amidst freedom ...”

民主奴隶制,压迫式自由。
美国知原罪,撰文纪奴役。

PS.百度百科:
虚拟语气(Subjunctive Mood)这一语法项目是各类英语考试中心测试的重点之一。...

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reflections on One of the Classic Confucius Quotes Sep 1, 2019

【翻译点滴】 NOTES OF A TRANSLATOR 《翻译看子曰,越看越无益》
Reflections on One of the Classic Confucius Quotes after reading a US workplace report/article

This article gives a list of American cities where the average hourly wage is about $25 or more. These cities are among the cleanest and most beautiful cities. Although I have been to only less than half o
... See more
【翻译点滴】 NOTES OF A TRANSLATOR 《翻译看子曰,越看越无益》
Reflections on One of the Classic Confucius Quotes after reading a US workplace report/article

This article gives a list of American cities where the average hourly wage is about $25 or more. These cities are among the cleanest and most beautiful cities. Although I have been to only less than half of them, now I know why.

Work Less, Make More 《攒得多,做得少》

Work smarter, not harder, as they say, and it's smarter to work less and make more.

To me, this quotation can be applied directly to machine translation, but not to those who are not happy about the results of. I believe many of us spend hours trying to clean up or improve on an initial translation, even by ourselves, and the amount of work involved in doing so can be huge sometimes, but who knows, or who cares, you are probably the only one. So here comes some reflections on that amount of volentary work done by many translators:

子曰:“劳心者治人,劳力者治于人。”
历史虽然大致如此,可是:
劳心者费神,四体不勤百病生,到头还是得求人。
劳力者费力,业精于勤出真知,饭香菜美手脚灵。
如果还年轻,我宁愿做劳力者。
翻译算什么呢?问题是,子没考虑过翻译人。
这不是,人说每个字三分,就三分!
口译分秒绷神经,只怕听不清,没有说不清。
笔译一个不小心,永久留笑柄。
工作太拼命,易得颈椎病。
翻译既劳力,又劳心,但却重来治于人。
所以,真正属于你自己的翻译,恐怕要等退休以后。
反正都是自己玩的,怎么翻都行。

D.S.2019.0901.a

Santa Cruz, CA© Gagliard
Collapse

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Drawing of live models still draws heated discussions in a Chinese art academy Sep 17, 2019

《网上热帖画人体》

川美院长示范人体写生引争议 院长回应:不可思议

川美院长画人体,绅士家长着了急。
网上评论锅开炸,页数已达九十七。
每年考生这么多,基础训练却存疑。
上海首开裸体课,至今整整一世纪。
顿觉传统实在厚,海粟愈加了不起。... See more
《网上热帖画人体》

川美院长示范人体写生引争议 院长回应:不可思议

川美院长画人体,绅士家长着了急。
网上评论锅开炸,页数已达九十七。
每年考生这么多,基础训练却存疑。
上海首开裸体课,至今整整一世纪。
顿觉传统实在厚,海粟愈加了不起。
(别的不说,这位继罗中立之后担任川美院长的油画家:)
技法古典见新意,为官少有此实力。

D.S.2019.0917.a
——早起读国内美术新闻

“为啥子不得行嘛?”© 庞茂琨
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

翻译点滴 (Challenges in Interpretation)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »